Experience : Peter & The Wolf at Christie's L.A. *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

salomeU2000

The Fly
[SIMG]http://bonovox.interference.com/experience/christiesignthumb.gif[/SIMG]
By Devlin Smith

grandfatherpanel.gif

Bono's not a great artist, I'm not saying that to be mean or dismissive, it's just true. When I was viewing the 16 paintings and studies Bono, with help from daughters Jordan and Eve, created for the new "Peter & The Wolf" book and CD set, a few people came in less than impressed. For someone coming in off the street who didn't know who Bono is (which is possible) or what the art project entails, it probably did look like just another modern art show, intense, loose, jumbled doodlings, not pretty, not soothing and definitely not like anything from the Thomas Kinkade collection.

But because I do know who Bono is and am familiar with the "Peter & The Wolf" project (sales of the book/CD set, catalogs and artwork all benefiting the Irish Hospice Foundation), this wasn't just stuff, the artistic minglings of a bored, self-important celebrity, these 16 pieces were so revealing. Like with his music, in these works, Bono was truly putting his soul to paper.

bakedbeanboy.gif

Each black on white painting, some nearly 20 feet across, is filled with little messages and symbols and jokes from the Bono lexicon. His Peter is a self-portrait, the artist as "Baked Bean Boy," a character falling somewhere between a small child stepping out on his first grand adventure and the Bono of today, complete with Fly glasses, earring and scarred chin. Like in the self-portraits he creates for fans, this Peter/Bono is simplified down to the barest elements - round face, large pointed nose, line mouth and, of course, the shades.

It's hard to make too many judgments on the deeper meaning of this Peter since I haven't yet seen this completed version (accompanied by music created by Gavin Friday and Maurice Seezer), but it is interesting that the main character of the story was brought together in that simple way.

granddad1.gif

By contrast, though, Grandfather, shown in two solo studies and one large panel, is so beautifully detailed. Modeled after Bono's late father, this character has the most amazing face. Where Peter is just a few simple shapes, Grandfather's face is made up of an intricate series of lines and swirls and various shapes. This is the one character that truly shows emotion, in one study stern, in another somewhat sad. He's also caring. In the one panel showing Peter and Grandfather together, Grandfather has his arm around Peter and the tiny boy looks up to him, smiling and protected.

boywolf.gif

This project is, in many ways, about Bono's father. IHF offered to care for Bob Hewson when he was ill. In the introduction to the "Peter & The Wolf" catalog Bono talks about his father, his love of music, his "bad back and bad temper." Bono also explains why his father was chosen the model for Grandfather: "My Da we made the grandfather, as he was to Jordan and Eve, my two daughters who loved and were loved by him." And though it doesn't say, he was loved by his son as well.

christiesign.gif

forest.gif

Next month Christie's in New York will auction off the paintings, proceeds benefiting IHF. From there 16 works of art will find new homes, hopefully to be appreciated as more than a celebrity collectible or charitable donation, but as this moment in Bono's family that he shared with all of us - the time he spent with his daughters as they added hundreds of flowers to one panel, their little touches added to various other works in the exhibit, and this project in honor of a loved one. If I had the money, the time and the connections to attend the auction, I would be thrilled to have any of these pieces in my house, but I don't. I do have the catalog, my own pictures and those couple of minutes spent at Christie's Beverly Hills auction house, carefully taking in each of these paintings and feeling that little bit closer to one of my favorite people.

catpanel.gif

hunterswolf.gif

"Peter & The Wolf: Paintings and Works on Paper by Bono with Jordan and Eve" is on display at Christie's in Los Angeles through October 15. Christie's New York will be displaying the exhibit on November 21 in advance on that night's auction. For more information on this project visit www.peterwolf.org .

Photos courtesy: ?2003 Devlin Smith for Interference.com

Last edited:
"By contrast, though, Grandfather, shown in two solo studies and one large panel, is so beautifully detailed. Modeled after Bono's late father, this character has the most amazing face. Where Peter is just a few simple shapes, Grandfather's face is made up of an intricate series of lines and swirls and various shapes. This is the one character that truly shows emotion, in one study stern, in another somewhat sad. He's also caring. In the one panel showing Peter and Grandfather together, Grandfather has his arm around Peter and the tiny boy looks up to him, smiling and protected."

That's, seriously, really, really sweet and cool.

I think that's neat that Bono's modeled these characters after himself and others near and dear to him. A good glimpse into how much he loves these people.

And yeah, Bono's not the next Picasso or whatever, but I think these drawings are adorable, anyway. And like you said, he's putting his soul out there in his drawings, and that alone makes them unique and cool.

Neat essay. That's cool that you got the chance to check out the drawings.

Angela

It troubles me a bit as an artist when people fail to see that art is not so much about the mechanics of drawing but rather how the individual is able to convey an emotion or idea. An artist like Keith Haring, for example, used very simple shapes and figures that were almost childlike in his artwork, yet they captured the eyes and minds of millions with their direct statements on social issues. I see Bono's artwork in the same light. It is simple and a bit rudimentary, but it makes you look and think and there is no greater sign of good artwork than that. It's kinda' like Bono's voice, it may not be considered great in terms of trained voices... but there is no more impassioned voice out there.

Back
Top Bottom