Experience: Meeting Bono on my 21st Birthday *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elvis

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Experience: Meeting Bono on my 21st Birthday

[SIMG]http://bonovox.interference.com/experience/cdukbonosign-sml.jpg[/SIMG]
By celia

It was October 16, a day before my 21st birthday, and that morning I found out that U2 was playing on "CD:UK" at the Riverside Studios in London. This could be my chance to catch a glimpse of U2, even from a distance.

I got to the studio at about 11:30 a.m. and met a few other U2 fans, some who, lucky for them, had tickets for the "CD:UK" taping. I was really jealous and did try to see if I could get in without a ticket but was told they were already overbooked and that not everyone with tickets would be able to get in. While I was waiting outside I got to see Maroon 5, Kings of Leon and Westlife. At about 4:45, U2 drove in, one car after the other through the front. The band went right to the back of the studio and I only got a quick view of Bono and Edge before they went in. By this time it was getting very cold so we went off to get something to eat and drink and warm up.

cdukbonosign.jpg

We came back to the studio at 7 and went to the side entrance where the cars and drivers were waiting for U2 to come out. We, and about five other fans who were waiting, got to hear "Vertigo" and a couple of other songs as well, which was great.

At about 8, after watching the cars and all the equipment being brought out, and seeing Kings of Leon again, Adam was first out. I got his autograph and he was lovely and stopped for the first few pp to chat, sign things. He was looking very, very good, I have to say.

Second out was Edge, a large scream of "Edge" coming from all the people waiting. I got his autograph just in time because he nearly went past me as he was getting rushed but I held my bit of paper out and he saw me, smiled and signed it. He was so lovely.

Then third out was Larry. He walked past everyone as if he was just taking a walk along the street, hardly noticing anyone, which made me smile.

And then Bono came out. There was this annoying girl next to me who
didn’t even like U2, she just follows celebrities around to get pictures and autographs to sell, and she shouted out that she had been waiting all day to see him so he came over to her first.

cdukautographu2.jpg

I was trying to take some pictures but my camera was playing up and then Bono was standing right in front of me and I said, "Hi Bono, it's my 21st birthday tomorrow, could you please write 'Happy Birthday' to me on here?" He looked me in the eyes and said, "Can I sing you 'Happy Birthday?'" Then he put his cheek against mine and started singing "happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you," right in my ear. We kissed cheeks and I laughed because everybody standing behind me suddenly went, "Aw."

I was just in shock. Bono just sang "Happy Birthday" to me. Wow!

I was really lucky because after that Bono only signed for about three more people before getting rushed off. One person shouted out, "I love your shoes Bono," and he said, "That’s shoe business."

Paul McGuiness was also there and I remember getting excited and just shouting out "Paul." Don’t ask why, after having Bono sing "Happy Birthday" in your ear you feel rather strange.

I am still in dreamland and think I will be for the rest of my life. What a great way to remember my 21st birthday, I never ever thought this would happen. The funny thing is the day before I had a birthday cake and made a wish when I blew out the candle that I hoped to see U2 soon, meaning when on tour next year or something. I never thought my dream would come true the day after. How’s that for speed?

So I've learned that dreams do come true. Dream Out Loud.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, that was really great!

You're so lucky! I'm happy for you.

When you meet Bono next time, say hello to him from me! :wink:

:combust:

That's either a) the thought of Bono singing happy birthday to a lucky fan or b) me exploding with jealousy.

Glad you had a happy birthday!! :D

:cool:
I would never want to wash that ear again - and I wouldn't be able to get Bono's singing me happy bday out of my head EVER :D :heart: :bono:

:yes: :giggle: :applaud: YES! What A Way to Celebrate your 21st birthday!!!! congraduations-something to remember forever!! Even if u did have to endure a 'very annoying girl next to you'!! :wink: it was worth it!:whistle:

Back
Top Bottom