U2?s Ireland : Part I : HEARTLAND *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

salomeU2000

The Fly
[SIMG]http://bonovox.interference.com/u2ireland/citythumb.jpg[/SIMG]
A Comprehensive Guide To The Dublin Of U2
By Declan O'Reilly

Sometimes, being Irish has its drawbacks, in the sense that it is actually quite rare to have a moment to look across this city and absorb the feeling of pride one should automatically obtain, given that I live in the same town that U2 hail from. It's not that I don't realise it, the evidence is everywhere, it's merely that U2, despite being honoured with the freedom of Dublin, are not worshipped or revered here like an actor might be in Hollywood. Bono, Adam Larry and The Edge are all regular guys; and here, ordinary Dubliners pass them by without fussing all over them. That's regarded as the norm here.

After all, it is their music that stimulates our minds, drawing from us a wide and rich variety of emotional responses. Notwithstanding this, one aspect of U2 that differentiates them from many of the so-called super groups that abound today is their unconditional respect for their many legions of fans. Fans matter to U2 and if you ever have an opportunity to approach them whether for an autograph, a photo or just to say hello, you'll find them extremely courteous. U2 have never forgotten that their audience is the reason they're still relevant. But it is their city that the attention must now focus on.

wall.jpg

Discovering the Dublin locations associated with U2, although a privilege, is something I'd almost taken for granted - that in the wider context, for many U2 fans domiciled outside of Ireland, coming to Dublin is the ultimate quest and something that almost all U2 fans contemplate at some stage. It is "A Sort Of Homecoming.? Over the next number of weeks this column will expand extensively to include countless, if not all places of interest in Dublin associated with U2. From the most readily identifiable, such as the two featured this week, to the lesser known spots one would not normally attribute to U2 but still equally as important. Each area/venue shall be pivotal in building up a larger picture of just how much of Dublin, in one way or another, is intrinsically linked to U2 and remains a part of the legacy that U2 unknowingly established.

To all discerning fans that wish to compile a thorough list and subsequently gain a more insightful, broader knowledge of all there is to locate in Dublin concerning U2, then this is the place to begin. Perhaps, some of you may be contemplating travelling to Ireland and especially Dublin City at some stage, with the intentions of familiarising yourselves with places throughout the city that you've yearned to see.

The primary aim of this column is to provide you with as much information as possible on U2-related areas - therefore, whether you choose to visit Dublin or not, at least, to all intents and purposes, by the time this column reaches its conclusion you will definitely have sufficient enough information for present and future reference on all the many places that have and still play a major role in the lives of the most accomplished and respected rock group in the world, and also in the lives of all their fans.

There are no shrines, no monuments, and no gardens of remembrance paying homage to U2 in Dublin. Truth is, U2's legacy is inconspicuously mapped on almost every Dublin street and even though a sizeable amount of buildings and entire areas have either been demolished or redeveloped to stand now in alternative guises from those of their initial appearance, places such as The Dandeloin Market, McGonagles, The Project Arts Centre, there still remains an element of attachment with U2 pertaining to these areas, so much so that I often find myself singing one of the band's earlier songs as I pass them by. Imagination is a powerful force - and if you truly want to appreciate the places that U2 left their mark on, then all that I ask is that you transport yourself to be with me on Interference.com as together we embark on the most amazing ever journey made of Dublin, one, that up to now has only ever been travelled before by U2 themselves.

Welcome to U2's HEARTLAND.

Out of personal preference, I choose to begin this column by concentrating on two of the most famous landmarks in U2's history here in Dublin. The studios: Windmill Lane and Hanover Quay. I firmly believe they both form a strong basis for anyone wishing to fully explore U2's Dublin.

city.jpg

In comparison to most major European cities Dublin is relatively small. To make your journey all the more enjoyable and not too time consuming, I will include a street finder in a future article, highlighting all the major sites relating to U2 that will be covered here, thus making it easier to plan and navigate your tour of the city.

(No. 4) Windmill Lane (Dublin 2)

windmillsign.jpg

This old building is immensely historic. Back in September 1979, U23, a mini-EP on vinyl was recorded here. It was U2's first release and distributed only in Ireland due to the contract U2 had with CBS Ireland. The marketing ploy behind this record was absolutely brilliant. Manager Paul McGuinness decided that only a 1,000 numbered copies would be printed, and Bono and Edge presided over the songs being played over the national airwaves on R.T.E. radio with the choice of which song would be the A-side being decided by fans/listeners who phoned in their preferred song choice. The A-side eventually chosen was "Out Of Control" with "Boy-Girl and "Stories For Boys" making up the B-side.

With the exception of Rattle and Hum all of U2's material has some direct connection to Windmill Lane. Their first three albums were all recorded here. As was their 1987 masterpiece The Joshua Tree. A lot of mixing work on their albums has also taken place inside this quaint old brick premise. Daniel Lanois, Brian Eno, Flood, Chas De Whalley and most notably Steve Lillywhite are just some of the producers who've worked here.

windmillwall.jpg

One of the most appealing aspects to Windmill Lane is "The Wall.? Ever since U2 first set up base here, fans from all over the world have left messages, painted, even taken a chip out of it as a souvenir. The wall is now marked with a sign suggesting to fans that this is the place to etch your words of gratitude or affection in whatever medium you opt to use there. Unfortunately, the sign itself at my time of visiting was painted over, though it is the white building on the left that fans are now resigned to. Along it runs metal fencing which years ago was in fact the actual wall. Still, if you do get to Windmill Lane be sure to walk down the alley that adjoins the two buildings there and take a look at the fantastic drawings and messages that are still being left. Make sure you date your message. Fans usually don't paint or write over recent or fresh ones. Windmill Lane is remarkable for another thing - its residents. Believe me, these people are an authority on U2 and if you need directions or advice on anything within reason, be sure to talk to a local!

The new Windmill Lane Recording studio is located at 20 Ringsend Road, Dublin 4.

(No. 15) Hanover Quay (Dublin 4.)

This is my absolute favourite U2 location. It's situated in the most calming place I know of in this city, (apart from the Parks). U2 moved here in 1995, and have steadfastly developed there. The new album, due for release in spring 2004 is being recorded here and if U2 are in Dublin and recording, then Hanover Quay is a "MUST" for visiting. U2 have recorded four albums here. Passengers (a collaboration with Brian Eno), the soundtrack to the motion picture The Million Dollar Hotel, Pop, and their Grammy award-winning album All That You Can't Leave Behind. Hanover Quay is, according to a workman I spoke with, due to be demolished in late spring of 2004, and U2 are to be relocated to new premises and a studio that will occupy the two uppermost stories of a 60 metre tower being built on Britain Quay, which is just a few hundred yards from their present studio here.

hanover.jpg

One of the most alarming things about Hanover Quay studio is its appearance. It really was not what I expected the first time I saw it. In fact, it was No. 9 Hanover Quay that I actually stopped outside of as it was more impressive looking - like a building befitting a band of U2's calibre. How wrong I was! The Hanover Quay studio area just affects you. I don't know how, but when you get there I'm sure you'll feel something.

All photos by Declan O'Reilly

hey there, i just returned from Ireland, specifically Dublin and have photos of all u2-related places such as the studios, bono's house, bars they hang out at, places where they started out playing music......

krooooella@hotmail.com is you need anything!

Great Article!:applaud:

I have been to these places multiple times myself. But there are several others that I wonder about and have not been to yet like the original site of "McGonagles"! Does "McGonagles" still exist and if not, where is the original site in Dublin and what is it now? U2 played most of their early shows in the 1970s at "McGonagles". I look forward to an article and some pictures on that.

That was great !! I look forward to reading more.....and hopefully someday all this info will help me when I make it to Dublin !!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom