The Month in U2 : May 2003 *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

salomeU2000

The Fly
[SIMG]HTTP://bonovox.interference.com/monthinu2/novellothumb.jpg[/SIMG]
The Month in U2 - May 2003
By Carrie Alison, Chief Editor

5/1 - Dotmusic publishes an article about the new U2 album stating that it will be finished by year?s end. Bono and Edge provide the following interesting tidbits:
"It's a very visceral album," says frontman Bono. "The songs are very direct. They're big songs, big melodies and really, some full-on guitar playing by a very frustrated man. He told the New York Times: "[The Edge] is so gifted. If this is a great record, and I really think it will be, it will have a lot to do with him."

"My guitar playing has been fairly minimalist over the years," said Edge. "I like to try and make as few notes as I can get away with, you know, create as big an effect as I can, to really explore what guitar could be and really push the boundaries of what guitar in a rock-and-roll band can sound like."

Meanwhile, back on the scene of Dublin nightlife, Bono and childhood best mates Gavin Friday and Guggi come out to support the Sheriff Street After Hours School Education Project which teaches inner city Dublin youth between the ages of 12-15 to stay off drugs and stay in school, Showbiz Ireland reports. Bono also placed ?phone calls of encouragement? to the youth along with Naomi Campbell.

5/2 - The United States House of Representatives in a 375-41 vote, OK?s a bill to grant AIDS stricken Africa and places in the Caribbean $15 billion over the next five years. "With this overwhelming vote, the House sends a message of hope to Africa that America will help the 30 million people with AIDS," said Jamie Drummond, executive director of DATA (Debt, AIDS, Trade in Africa), a group founded by rock star Bono of the band U2.

5/5 - Carousing pals Bono and Robert DeNiro paint the Dublin night red as they visited the Clarence Hotel for a bite to eat. It was reported that DeNiro was staying at Bono?s house in Killiney, and went to the racetrack in Naas.

denirobono.jpg

For more photos from Bono and DeNiro?s night out, visit:
http://forum.interference.com/t76734.html

5/6 - To the surprise of no U2 fan - U2 tops the first week downloads of Apple?s new iTunes Music Store.

5/7 - Bono is onhand to open the second annual Tribeca Film Festival in New York City along side actors Ewan McGregor, Renee Zellweger and Robert DeNiro. The festival seeks to celebrate moviemaking in New York City and to contribute aid to rebuilding lower Manhattan.

tribecabono.jpg

(Photo: REUTERS/Shannon Stapleton)

For more information and pictures from the festival, visit:
http://forum.interference.com/t76725.html

5/8 - Not surprisingly, U2?s music is deemed ?euphoric? among Premium Footballers in England as they prepare for games. Rapper Eminem was in the top spot, U2 were second.
"U2's music may work in a different way - lively, positive and uplifting songs such as It's A Beautiful Day can help create a positive frame of mind, and also have a physiological effect by inducing a sense of euphoria by activating the brain's dopamine system,? said Music Psychologist Dr. Neil Todd of Manchester University in the Ananova article.

New York City mayor Michael Bloomberg?s approval rating is down, and what better way to spike voter favor than to have dinner with a certain Irish rocker. "[U2 singer] Bono said lots of nice things about me," he said. "I think he'd probably be fun to have dinner with. Hopefully he'll think I am,? Bloomberg remarked at the Tribeca Film Festival.

Bosnian author Muharem Bazdulj from Sarajevo, has written a book entitled The Concert about the night U2 played war-torn Sarajevo in September 1997. For its first print, the book will only be available in Bosnian, with hopes to later publish in English.

popmartbosnia.jpg

(Photo: U2.com)

For more information on the book, visit:
http://forum.interference.com/t76795.html

To read U2.com's information on this special night, visit:
http://u2.com/events/ev_sep_1997/event_sub_detail.html

5/9 - English tabloid newspaper The Mirror reports that supercouple David and Victoria Beckham will be in good company when they visit their French estate near St. Tropez. Bono?s ?3m seaside villa is located not far away in Eze-sur-Mer on the Cote d'Azur. As U2 fans might recall, Eze-sur-Mer was the backdrop of the gorgeous Anton Corbijn-directed video for ?Electrical Storm.?

The African Well Fund, a charity started by U2 fans, reports that they successfully raised over $10,253.18 in Honor of Bono's birthday. Congratulations to the AWF!

For more information on the AWF and the ?Build a Well for Bono?s Birthday? drive, visit:
http://forum.interference.com/t76858.html or http://www.africanwellfund.org

5/11 - The Irish Independent reports that The Edge has replaced Bono on the Media Lab Europe board - ?the alliance between the government and MIT Media Laboratory that plans to create a third-level research and innovations centre in Dublin.?

5/12 - Bono, Ali, Edge and Morleigh step out to Vicar Street in Dublin to see Neil Young play a solo acoustic set.

neilyoungshow.jpg

5/13 - Rolling Stone launches another poll to find out who the Greatest Live Band on Earth is. To vote, visit: http://www.rollingstone.com/bestlive

5/14 - Jim Henke, Curator of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Museum and former Music Editor of Rolling Stone writes part 2 of his column about the genesis of the U2 exhibit at the Rock Hall in a fabulous article on U2.com.

To read the article in its entirety, visit:
http://forum.interference.com/t77062.html

5/15 - The BBC reports that a veritable treasure trove of old U2 recordings are found by Scottish Radio Holdings. Some 600 recordings of myriad artists are found in all. It is still not confirmed what U2 recordings were found, and when they will be released.

5/19 - Bono travels to the World Political Forum in Turin, Italy. According to Reuters in Milan, Bono took part in talks, and is a founding member of the board along with former Russian president Mikhail Gorbachev.

gorbybono.jpg

(Photo: REUTERS/Claudio Papi)

For more information, visit:
http://forum.interference.com/t77240.html

Back in Dublin, Edge checks out the intimate Radiohead show at the Dublin Olympia, according to NME.

5/20 - U2 donate autographed sheet music to ?Beautiful Day? for an auction to benefit the City of Hope National Medical Centre in Los Angeles.

For more information on the auction, visit:
http://forum.interference.com/t77288.html

U2 tops iTunes again for the second week! An acoustic version of ?Stuck in a Moment? is apparently stuck in users? heads!

5/21 - RUMOR> Two U2 songs are rumored to be on the soundtrack to the upcoming Tomb Raider sequel, Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life starring Angelina Jolie. As fans will remember, U2 scored a huge hit not so long ago with "Elevation" from the first movie's soundtrack in 2001. We cannot confirm that this information is valid, however, the Interference message boards have found some info on the IMBD and DotMusic boards. Elektra Records, the label who released the first Tomb Raider soundtrack, has NO knowledge of U2's presence on the soundtrack.

5/22 - Bono and Bob Geldof meet with British Prime Minister Tony Blair over breakfast at 10 Downing Street to discuss the AIDS crisis in Africa, and encourage other world leaders to do their part to help Africa. Bono told XFM Radio the following was the reason behind the summit with Tony Blair: ?The PM wanted to know what was happening in Africa and what he should be doing about it.? he explained, ?G8 [the annual international political meeting] is coming up and we?re trying to convince people that it?d be nice if the G8 is remembered for the war against AIDs and the agreement about what should be done about it.?

?Tony Blair and Gordon Brown both have a lot of passion for Africa and we?re just trying to turn that passion into cash.? He continued, ?We have a lot of faith that he?ll do the right thing, and I think people in the UK are prepared to put their hands in their pockets if they think it will bring about peaceful relationship between the developed world and the developing world.

?You?re dealing with an AIDs emergency where 7,000 people are dying every day cos they can?t get to medicines that we take for granted.? He explained, ?Its an obscenity but there are many opportunity to get the these drugs to them. We have these medicines, lets get them over there and maybe then they won?t be burning our flags.?

?This moment that we?re living in will be remembered for three things, the Internet, the war against terror and how we let an entire continent - Africa - burst into flames and just stood around with watering cans.?

blairbobbono.jpg

(Photo: REUTERS/Hugo Philpott)

For more information on the meeting, visit:
http://forum.interference.com/t77376.html

U2 take home the honor of ?Outstanding Song Collection? at the Ivor Novello Awards in London. ?Electrical Storm? lost out to Avril Lavigne?s ?Complicated? for ?Best International Hit.?

novelloaward.jpg

(Photo: Hello! Magazine)

Never one to mince words, Bono offered up some insight on how he writes those gorgeous and uplifting lyrics: "They don't know how hard it is starting at a blank page. You're living in Ireland, it's raining, it's always raining, that's where the melancholy, the angst all comes from?.No, that's not true. You sit in a big house in the south of France, paid for by a large, extensive back catalogue, you look out the window and go 'It's a beautiful day!'"

Dotmusic reports that The Edge was talkative on the night as well:

"And we're writing some of the best songs we've ever written. It's encouraging to get an award like this, it's encouraging to kick even harder and make sure that the next batch of songs are as good as anything we've ever done."

Attempting to explain the sound of the record, The Edge said: "It's hard to describe it, other than its just a very raw rock n' roll album."

"A band in its primary colours of guitar, bass, drums, voice and a lot of vitality and energy...so far anyway. By the time it comes out it could be a country and western album."

"For me the last record and tour was just a return to the basic sound of the electric guitar and how amazing that can sound," he explained. "The simplicity of it. And this new record follows on from that, but even more extreme."

5/24 - When picking up his award as TIMEeurope?s Hero of the Year, conversation came back to his other day job - a certain band called U2. It appears that Bono?s work at lobbying politicians and attending charity functions has taken a toll on the band?s collective patience.
British newspaper The Daily Telegraph reported the following quotes:

"Charity work does interfere. It takes up 50 per cent of my time," Bono told Spy at Time magazine's annual awards. "I'm actually on the edge of being chucked out of the band. I'm off to the studio to spend the weekend recording stuff I should have done ages ago."

A spokesman for U2 admitted the tensions: "Some of the other band members have felt for years that Bono has risked being too political at the expense of group," she said. "Edge, for example, was terribly concerned when Bono was lobbying Right-wing Republicans in America."

5/25 - Legendary music man Quincy Jones announces that he intends to organize a sequel to the 1985 charity juggernaut ?We Are the World.? ?We Are the Future,? is the new name, and Jones hopes to net Bono, Santana and The Corrs to perform on the track.

Also on this day, Bono tells the press that English singing sensation Robbie Williams is quite the draughts player when he comes round to visit Bono?s house. The duo is also known to play bingo, Uno and other board games together.

5/26 - USA Today reports that Bono attended supermodel Naomi Campbell?s raucous celebrity-filled birthday party in St. Tropez.

Bono arrives at Novi Sad Park in Modena, Italy to rehearse "One" for his upcoming performance at the Pavarotti &Friends 2003 concert. The charity concert is set to benefit the UNHCR project called 'S.O.S. IRAQ' to provide aid to displaced Iraqis from the Iraqi war.

pavorottibono.jpg

(Photo: REUTERS/Alessia Pierdomenico)

5/27 - Bono performs at the Pavarotti&Friends 2003 concert in Novi Sad Park in Modena, Italy. For his performances, Bono sang "Miserere" in Italian with Pavarotti and Zucchero, "Ave Maria" with Pavarotti, and "One" on his own. It is reported that Bono included some new lyrics in ?Ave Maria.? Ahead of the concert, Bono told Italy?s La Stampa newspaper that the new U2 album would be done by the end of 2003, and that U2 will tour in 2004.

To download "Miserere," "Ave Maria," and ?One,? visit:
http://forum.interference.com/t77599.html

To view more photos from the concert, visit:
http://forum.interference.com/t77600.html

5/28 - News outlets around the world claim Bono shelled out ?1,000 to have his favorite green trilby hat flown to Italy. Where did the hat?s journey take it? In a cab to London?s Gatwick airport costing ?100 fare and tip, next the beloved cap boarded a British Airways flight at 1:40pm to Bologna. Cost of airfare for hat? ?442. Alas, the reserved first class seat was not enough to please the plane?s stewards - fearing the hat would be misplaced, it was moved to even safer
quarters - in the plane?s cockpit.

5/29 - Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi places a phone call to Bono ahead of the G8 summit in Lake Geneva, advising the singer that Italy has plans to cancel the debt owed by third world countries backed up by Italy?s forgiven 1.5 billion dollars (1.3 billion euros) to the world?s poorest nations. After prodding from Bono to relaunch a 2001 campaign to fight AIDS, malaria and tuberculosis, Berlusconi told Bono that Italy had already offered money to help the AIDS fight - 200 million dollars.

The Washington Post reports that Bono has only nice world for former Treasury Secretary Paul O?Neill and President Bush:

"There are people who are true-blue conservatives in the Midwest, who are offended by the wanton waste of life in Africa and want to do something about it," Bono told Blustein from Italy, where he was visiting Luciano Pavarotti and hoping to personally persuade Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi to open Italy's wallet to help fight worldwide AIDS. "But the thing that set it up and got Africa into people's homes was Paul O'Neill asking me to go on that trip. And whilst it might have torched my image as a rock star, I think it gave a sense . . . that we were serious and that we knew what we were talking about -- we weren't just bleeding hearts."

Bono also had sweet words for President Bush, who just signed into law a $15 billion global AIDS program. "It's a surprising message for me to bring to my community -- that people did not mislead me, and people made good on their promises," Bono said. "I remember the carping, I remember the cynicism. I had some of it myself. So you have to give credit where credit is due."

5/30 - Bono pens an editorial for the British press entitled ?It takes only a dollar a day to stop an African dying of Aids? To read the editorial in full, visit:
http://forum.interference.com/t77694.html

Firefly Publishing and author Mark Chatterton announce a new version of the U2 Encyclopedia due to be published in November 2003 - but they'd like your input by June 20th! For more information on how you can assist, visit: http://forum.interference.com/t77703.html

encybookcvr.jpg

(Photo: Firefly Publishing)

NEW ALBUM RUMOR?> A New Best of In The New Year?

U2News receives word that a new U2 Best Of CD has started making the rounds at Universal Music. The new CD, due for a release in late 2003 or early 2004 would contain an assortment of tracks from the current Best Of albums, plus some new mixes, and new additions of tracks that did not appear on the issued Best Of's. We do not know if this is true - we have been told it is making the rounds at the record label via CD-R.

Below is the tracklist we have been given via Universal Brazil:

"The Rest of U2 1980-2000"
01 - OUT OF CONTROL
02 - TOMORROW
03 - FIRE (NEW MIX)
04 - WIRE
05 - A SORT OF HOMECOMING
06 - IN GODS COUNTRY
07 - EXIT
08 - HEARTLAND
09 - GOD PART II
10 - ACROBAT (NEW MIX)
11 - LOVE IS BLINDNESS
12 - YOUR BLUE ROOM
13 - PLEASE
14 - WAKE UP DEAD MAN (NEW MIX)
15 - KITE
16 - NEW YORK

5/31 - Pro-democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi, inspiration for U2?s hit ?Walk On,? is taken into protective custody in northern Myanmar after her vehicle is hit by gunfire, reports CNN.

Bono makes an appearance in Monte Carlo to check up on Jordan Ford's Formula 1 raceteam headed up by Eddie Jordan. The Ford team will have two participating cards in the Monaco Grand Prix on June 1st.

bonoracecar.jpg

(Photo: AP Photo/Christian Lutz)

More (bigger) pictures here:
http://uk.search.news.yahoo.com/search/photos_ukie?p={Bono}&nice=Bono&z=date&h=s

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom