Adam Clayton: The Coolest Guy in the Room*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
[SIMG]http://forum.interference.com/gallery/data//585/11632adam_thumb.jpg[/SIMG]
By Devlin Smith, Contributing Editor

An old friend of mine just wasn't that in to Adam Clayton. She thought the bassist was somewhat smug, more than slightly cocky. His offhand remarks just weren't her thing. She prefers Bono because of his warmth. While I'm a total Edge girl, I still dig Adam because he's cool.

One of my favorite Adam moments comes from a MuchMusic special from the Elevation Tour called "U2 Does Much" and hosted by George Stroumboulopoulos. Adam had sat quietly through most of the interview, as he so often does, letting Bono and Edge do most of the speaking.

A few segments in, Stroumboulopoulos asked Adam about any inspiration he's had from fans. Seated, as everyone else was, on a backless stool, Adam slowly brought the mic to his face and said, "Do you have a chair with a straight back? These are really uncomfortable. But what were you saying? It sounded very interesting."

11632adamcutout.jpg

(Image: U2.com)

Disarmed, Stroumboulopoulos tried to get his footing back, re-asking the question. Adam looked at him and said, "I'm a bass player, I don't worry about stuff like that."

That's the moment that truly made me an Adam fan. Of course he doesn't worry about stuff like that because, it seems, Adam doesn't worry about much. Watching Adam on stage and in interviews, he knows who he is and is perfectly happy off to the side, doing his thing.

If I could learn anything from Adam, it would be to live that effortlessly, to not be so wound up in saying or doing the right thing. Bono refers to Edge as being the Zen master but I believe it's Adam who's the closest to that blissful state as he circles the Vertigo stage, does fashion spreads for Rolling Stone or floats in the Ganges on holiday. Adam's found his niche, his place in the world, and seems to be perfectly content.

On his 46th birthday, wherever he is and whatever he's doing, I'm sure Adam's found bliss.

Yes, this is a man who seems very comfortable with himself these days. He glows with good health and vitality, which in turn has gained him new female fans who are swooning over this Silver Fox!

Me, I've had a crush on the man for over three years. :heart: :love:

Happy birthday to our favorite bassman!!!

The biggest thing Adam has taught me is not to try to change myself to conform to what I think others want me to be. Seeing him onstage this year, sounding and looking ( :drool: ) his best, having so much fun, made me realize that we all come into our own if we're patient enough to wait.

Thanks for the lesson, Adam. I think it's one I definitely needed.

Good article :up:

After reading you story ive gone back over photos, live concert DVDs and those painful to watch vh1 specials from the country of sour milk and runny honey and have come to the conclusion that Adam looks totally boooored with the whole situation. I think it will be a while before we see another U2 album or concert (however we - Australia- are still waiting for word). I really believe there will always be Bono and Edge however im not so sure about "moody and pretty boy. Does anyone share my thoughts??? Dont get me wrong when there album comes out i love it and am bursting for the next, but somehow i think its really running out of green white and orange steam. And as for Bono your pretty much a saint and thats fine but if you do your one and only interview in Australia can you at least talk more about the band and the music and less about what wrong in the world, we know, we get it.

Back
Top Bottom