U2 Fan Profile: DaveC. *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
[SIMG]http://bonovox.interference.com/profile/davec-thmb.jpg[/SIMG]
By Devlin Smith

We know each other?s avatars and sigs by heart, share jokes, go off on tangents together, but how well do we really know our fellow Interferencers? To help all of us get to know one another a little bit better, we are featuring profiles of board members.

This installment features U2 Survivor host DaveC.

Your real name and screen name?

Well my real name is Dave Curran, and my screen name is DaveC.

What's the story behind your screen name?

It's just my regular ol' name. I was going to pick "The Chief," seeing as it's my nickname (long story), but it was taken at the time, unfortunately, so I took the next best thing.

davec-lrg.jpg

Why did you join Interference?

I joined Interference because I wanted to meet some other U2 fans, get album and band info, and hopefully snag some pre-sale tickets for the next tour! :D

When did you join Interference?

I'm not exactly sure when, although I do know it was in August 2002.

How many hours a day or week do you spend on Interference?

Usually I spend about two hours a day on Interference, running the Survivor game and keeping an eye on it, and just generally lurking about.

What are some of your favorite Interference haunts?

Everything You Know is Wrong, Lemonade Stand, Just the Bang and the Clatter, It's Official..., Zoo Confessionals, PLEBA (just kidding about that last one!)

Where did you get the idea for U2 Survivor?

Basically, I got it from a friend of mine on another message board who is currently running a very similar version for Pink Floyd. I got
permission from him, adapted the rules a bit to fit my tastes, and
figured I'd do a couple rounds, see how it went. People seemed to enjoy it, and the number of votes kept rising every round, so I decided to keep it running. Right now I am addicted to running this game! I don't know what I'll do after it's over...maybe Survivor for another band? E-mail me with ideas!!!

What have been the most shocking results?

Most aggravating for me were the first two rounds of "Achtung Baby." "So Cruel" and "Tryin' to Throw Your Arms Around the World" both are in my Top 5 for the album, and it was very heartbreaking for those two to be voted off first. They have a very special attachment for me, so it was difficult. The most shocking results I guess would be for me when, like I said before, "So Cruel" and TTTYAATW were booted in the first two
rounds of AB.

What is your earliest memory of U2?

My earliest conscious memory of listening to U2 and actually realizing it was U2 was in 1992, when I was six years old, at church camp. My counselor was so into U2, and was all hyped about going to ZooTV. He played "Achtung Baby" constantly, especially EBTTRT and "Mysterious Ways," even when we were trying to sleep. He had the Fly shades and the leather jacket, the whole bit. I thought the music was cool, but since I was six I didn't pay too much attention to it after camp, unfortunately.

When did you first consider yourself a U2 fan?

I guess that would have been in the summer of 1997. I was working at a daycamp for kids whose parents had to work during the day, it was basically a glorified daycare. Me and another guy were in charge of looking after the six and seven year olds, which we did sorta half-heartedly. We would take turns bringing in CDs every time and one day he brought in "Pop." I thought the music was incredible. I perused the booklet, and thought it was the coolest thing in the world. I resolved to eventually own that album, but hadn't heard anything else by them to much extent besides what was on the radio (which was usually SATS,
"Discotheque," MW, and "One"), and certainly nothing from the '80s. Then we (the daycamp group) all went on a road trip to Prince Edward Island, about three hours away from where I live. The group leader played "The Joshua Tree" in the van on the way there, and I essentially begged him to loan it to me for a while, and I must have played it half to death. At that point I would
say I was definitely a casual fan, but when I got The Best of 1980-1990 for Christmas next year, I listened to it constantly. I couldn't believe the music this band was making! I was definitely hooked at that point. So to recap, casual fan-ness: Summer '97; hardcore fan-ness: Christmas '98.

Why are you a U2 fan?

I'm a U2 fan for the music, first and foremost. This band makes the world's most incredible music. It seems almost as if every single song is written just for me, and I can interpret it that way. The depth, the sheer brilliance of it all. It's perfect.

What is your favorite U2 moment?

My favorite U2 moment was when I was a counselor at said church camp about three years ago (Summer '00). I found out that one of the female counselors (yes, I had a crush on her) also loved U2. She and I became pretty good friends over that week, and I learned a lot from her. She had mentioned in passing that her favorite fast U2 song was "Pride," and her favorite slow U2 song was "All I Want is You." Well on the final full day of camp there was a banquet for supper, followed by a dance. She and I went as each other's dates, and the day of the banquet I
spent all afternoon learning the chords A, D, G, Em, and F#m, and when I went to pick her up at her cabin, I serenaded her with an (admittedly lousy) version of "Pride." We went to the banquet, and the dance, and just before the last song I slipped my copy of The Best of 1980-1990 into the CD player, cued up "All I Want is You," and dedicated it to her, and she and I danced to it. I never ended up getting the girl after camp, but I still consider it one of my favorite U2 moments, dancing to AIWIY.

Another of my favorite U2 moments was this past June at my high school graduation. There was to be a song by two people during the ceremony, two very good friends of mine. They knew of my love for U2, but never mentioned anything to me. So, right after everyone had gotten their diplomas and such, my two friends go up on stage and say, "This is for you, Dave". One picks up his guitar and played the first 2 chords: E, Esus2. I instantly recognized it, it was "Kite," my favorite track on ATYCLB. It was the perfect song for the moment. I broke out into tears at the end of it, the only time I cried during the ceremony. It was
incredible.

Are there any lessons or insights you've gained from the band and its music, or is there a tough time that U2 helped you get through?

I've learned that no matter what a U2 song is about, it's always going to have a profound impact on you. I've learned that U2 can collaborate with any group or artist known to man and still make a kick-arse song. I've learned that posting ads gets results (thanks Larry). I've learned that you can totally change your image and come out even bigger than before (AB). I've learned that taking risks can be OK (POP). I've learned that even if you're wearing silly hard-hats, gas masks, and S&M gear and walking out of a shiny 40-foot lemon that's in front of a gigantic video screen, you can still be cool no matter what. I've learned that U2 is the greatest band in the world, and whoever doesn't think that has no clue what they're missing.

Do you have a U2 dream or fantasy?

Well, not really any fantasies (unless you count that one time about Larry...I mean...uhh...lol). I did have a dream once though about the new album. I was somehow inside Hanover Quay, and the boys played all the new album for me, live. Edge did a windmill on his guitar (a la Pete Townshend) on "All Because of You" (probably from all The Who comparisons on this song), and it was great. They also showed me the artwork and the title ("Plateau"), and said that they decided not to release it after all, and that they were going to give me the only complete, final copy of the album. Good times.

What is your favorite U2 song, album and video?

Song: probably "Pride" or "One."
Album: "Achtung Baby."
Video: "Even Better Than the Real Thing." That spinny-camera thing is just so cool.

Awwww, DaveC, those two favorite U2 moments you mentioned...:cute:. So sweet! Sounds like you've got a couple of great friends there. Sorry to hear you didn't get the girl in the other story, though. :hug:.

"I've learned that no matter what a U2 song is about, it's always going to have a profound impact on you. I've learned that U2 can collaborate with any group or artist known to man and still make a kick-arse song. I've learned that posting ads gets results (thanks Larry). I've learned that you can totally change your image and come out even bigger than before (AB). I've learned that taking risks can be OK (POP). I've learned that even if you're wearing silly hard-hats, gas masks, and S&M gear and walking out of a shiny 40-foot lemon that's in front of a gigantic video screen, you can still be cool no matter what. I've learned that U2 is the greatest band in the world, and whoever doesn't think that has no clue what they're missing."

Yeah! Woo! Well said! :D.

Good to know a little more about you.

Angela

Back
Top Bottom