Tribute Band: Elevation Montreal *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
by Erica Stante

Let me tell you about the time I found myself in a small, old Irish pub spending the night hanging out with Bono, Larry, Adam and The Edge from U2. Let me brag about how close I was to the measly stage when U2 decided play a set right there in the pub. Let me effuse over the fact that as a consequence of that night, I was able to get a backstage VIP pass to their next official gig along with the privilege of spending that entire day with the famed lads.

But first, allow me to explain that the old Irish pub I stumbled into that fateful Friday night in June, O?Donnell?s Irish Pub, is actually a popular, local watering hole in Downtown Montreal and the four gentlemen on stage are not so much from Dublin, Ireland, as much as they are from densely Italian populated city of St. Leonard located in Montreal?s East End. And while I?m on this confession bandwagon, let me come clean and reveal that, while I did spend a lot of time with U2, it was, more specifically, a U2 tribute band, called Elevation. Please believe me, however, when I say that everything else is not nearly as exaggerated as the introduction.

O?Donnell?s pub was the first time I had ever seen or heard of Elevation, despite the fact that the band itself has been performing together for almost a decade. Admittedly, O?Donnell?s is not much of a venue for a band, the stage is simply a slightly elevated, cornered off space, hidden mostly by wooden columns, but if you?re lucky or skillful enough to make your way through the crowd and chairs towards the stage, then you?ll likely find that you are well within reach of strumming the guitar. Nonetheless, if you?re the owner of an Irish bar, it is just good business to dedicate an evening in tribute to Ireland?s most beloved band. Elevation did not disappoint; making the most of their environment, they succeeded in making a definite positive impression on the miniature legion of U2 fans that had obviously made up the majority of the audience, who you would rightly expect to be their harshest critics.

Two of my friends and I approached the band after their set and chatted a while. I?m not too sure what it was I was expecting from a cover band, probably something cheap and tasteless, and altogether mildly amusing. I might have also expected the four musicians that made up Elevation to be egotistical and hung up on their own self-importance. For all I knew, they might have been going around acting like they actually were U2. Whatever my prejudices, they were undoubtedly challenged after that night and my curiosity peaked. So much so, I decided to ask the band if they would be interested in granting me an interview with them for this spread on tribute bands. They not only accepted the offer, they extended my invitation and allowed me to spend the day with them and discover what it meant to experience a day in the life of a cover band.

I should address something important that I learned in regards to the lingo in this particular realm of the music industry. Elevation is a tribute band and not a cover band. There?s a subtle difference between the two that is often ignored, but nonetheless important to know just in case you ever make the fatal mistake of interchanging the two terms in front of a tribute band member. The most obvious distinction, the members of Elevation claim, is a musical one: tribute bands attempt to emulate the original as best as possible but that also includes the consideration of costumes, overall sound, instruments, stage mannerisms, etc.—minus giant lemons and heart-shaped stages.

?[Cover bands] never hide their distinctive style,? Ray, the bassist, professed in a manner that would make Oxford?s dictionary writers jump up and take note. The singer, Domenic, offered further explanation: ?In a sense [being in a tribute band] is like acting, if you have to play the role of some established historical figure or something, there?s no room to improvise or personalize it.?

The second important dissimilarity lies in the fact that tribute bands get more gigs than cover bands. Tribute bands also get more gigs than original bands.

No one is more aware of this fact than Elevation. Contrary to most bands? early development, Elevation started out as a locally successful original group called Outskirts, although as far as they are concerned, they still are an original band. It?s just that, as I was to soon learn, the original band often gets reluctantly placed on the backburner. Although the members of Elevation are unquestionably content riding this wave of success playing homage to their favorite band, there is a constant underlying frustration over the fact that they seem incapable of moving away from the tribute stint in order to pursue the realization of their aspirations for Outskirts. Frank, who plays guitar, interjected to stress the distinction: ?I don?t see any of us making any major lifestyle change for Elevation, but I wouldn?t think twice about doing it our original band.?

Initially, the tribute band was based on U2?s popular and critically acclaimed ZOO TV tour and the Outskirts became a band called, oddly enough, ZOO TV. Although ZOO TV (the band) enjoyed considerable success (their rendition of the tour endured for over seven years), the question as to how they would integrate their music into the picture would prove more difficult and less successful. In the beginning, they actually made attempts to slip a few of their original songs into the U2 set, but that didn?t seem to go over well with audiences.

?People don?t want to hear a song they don?t recognize,? Ray said. ?They?re there to see U2, they don?t want to hear this other song, whether it?s good or bad. It?s their opportunity to go to the bathroom, or order another beer.?

They also held many shows where they themselves played the opening act as Outskirts, with few apparently catching on to their brilliant scheme.

?[It] gave us a chance to sell CDs and expose our music. We warm up for 30 minutes, go backstage, change our clothes, come back on, do the U2 set for two hours,? Domenic described, and this happens to be typical of the kind of time and effort they invest into each night of work. ?This band is run like a small business,? Frank is often heard saying, but it is true. Elevation is self-managed and roadie-deficient. Translation: practically every detail of the show from Domenic?s reproduction of Bono?s signature leather jacket, to much of the technical workings behind the scenes has likely been handled directly by one of those four men performing on stage. Sound like a lot of work? Well, there is this old Chinese proverb: find something you love to do and you?ll never work a day in your life. ?To be honest, despite all the shit that can happen, if I could, I would do this for the rest of my life,? Frank admitted on the phone with me a few nights after the interview and that?s another thing that becomes apparent when attending an Elevation concert, that this is a second job they wouldn?t readily give up, unless, of course, their first job was as an original band.

This is not to say that being in a tribute band is all hard work, it definitely comes complete with benefits, after all, these guys don?t do this gig 10 times a month to torture themselves! It certainly is a way to keep the four musicians in shape, musically speaking. And they?ve also experienced much of what it means to be at the top of their field: playing big venues, groupies, making deals, winning competitions, groupies, crazy crowds, traveling, groupies, free drinks, and rubbing elbows with people from all walks of life (like groupies). The whole atmosphere is easy to become addicted to and one would assume that the ego these guys would develop from all this would potentially prevent them from entering a doorway normally. Well, while it is true that all four have healthy egos, it?s safe to say that was probably the case before they ever joined a band. Although it is interesting to note that the fireworks of popularity are often short lived and reserved for after the show. Before the concert, the band suffers little attention, after the show, they can?t seem to break away from the crowd—and Domenic will almost always walk away a few phone numbers wealthier.

However Ray revealed another harsher reality for tribute bands: ?No one will ever say we?re a great band. They?ll say we do a great U2, but they?ll never say we?re a great band.?

And that?s unfortunate, especially for a city like Montreal which tends to pride itself on its capacity to appreciate good music and recognize potential new talent. What tribute audiences seem to ignore or simply fail to acknowledge, is the fact that if they are enjoying the music they?re listening to, it is because that particular band, playing live, sounds like the real thing—and that says a lot about the musicians behind it. But Domenic voiced the band?s acceptance of the reality of their trade: ?They?re there to have a good time, they?re not a concert per say?they?re at a bar. Some of them are there to pick up, some of them are there to meet people, and we?re just supplying the music and hopefully they?re having a good time.?

Elevation is?

Frank Contrino (a.k.a. The Edge): Guitarist and songwriter for their original band, The Outskirts, Frank is often referred to as the band?s manager and PR man, thanks to his keen social skills. Organized, dedicated and ambitious, Frank exemplifies why when you want something done, you ask a busy person. By day: Technical editor. Personal stuff: Coaches his daughter?s soccer team. Confession: He?s only recently discovered the benefits of playing gigs sober. His hero: ?Is it cheesy to say The Edge?? Specific requests for this article: That his profile be the longest. Band members say: In an all-out brawl, Frank would be most likely to beat the crap out of his three band mates.

Ray Carpanzano (a.k.a. Adam Clayton): Sharing U2?s Adam Clayton?s role as bassist, Ray also has the added responsibility of taking care of transportation for each of the band?s shows. On stage, Ray seems quiet and shy in his corner, but off stage he is socially front and center, playing the role of charismatic straight shooter, troubleshooter and troublemaker. By day: FedEx deliveryman. Personal stuff: He and his wife recently had their first child. Something he finds funny: ?Orb me? (what it would apparently sound like if someone with a cold says, ?Warm me.?) First impression: Think ?Sonny? from ?Grease.?

Kenny Cabral (a.k.a. Larry Mullen Jr.): The youngest band member, the last to join and the only non-Italian in the group (he?s Portuguese), Kenny has the dual role of drummer and sound technician. While it may be obvious to label Kenny as ?the quiet one,? it wouldn?t be accurate. First, Kenny has the challenge of getting a word in edgewise with three Italians in the room, but more than anything, Kenny just doesn?t demand to be heard. Don?t be fooled, he is famed for his mischievous demeanor. By day: Works in a hospital. Personal stuff: He has a girlfriend. Preferred mode of transportation: Teleportation. Never leaves home without: A bottle of champagne in his bag for after the gig.

Domenic Bianco: The singer and songwriter for the original band. Frank admitted that the rest of the band ?will sometimes give him hell? because Dominic?s the only member of Elevation who has not been assigned any other jobs other than the one he assumes on stage. ?We?ll forgive him in the end because, after all, he?s the show,? Frank says. Domenic represents what every great singer ought to be—moody and mysterious with a hint of megalomania. By day: Either a lawyer or a faithful Dunkin? Donuts employee for the past 22 years (that?s the mysterious part I referred to earlier) Personal stuff: A vegetarian, single and on the prowl. Best kept secret: He has yet to tell his mother he?s in a band.

Q&A with Elevation

You play pretty straightforward covers of U2?s music, but have you ever creatively messed with one of their songs?
F: Inadvertently, every night.

What was the worst technical glitch you?ve ever had?
K: We use a lot of sequences and samplers with that machine that?s next to me, the VS 24-80. We?ve recently changed to that machine so the show runs a lot smoother, there?s a lot less glitches. The worst one is when I started ?Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me?? It came in at the wrong place, but I thought I could catch it before the band came in so I stopped it. He [Domenic] was in the middle of a jump?

R: We played the song ?With or Without You? and the siren from ?Lemon? would come on. And once we started our second set without Frank.

K: We were playing The Medley and one of the guys that was doing our, uh, our tech. decided to start the second set. So we?re all gathered at the side of the stage, like usual?

R: I said, ?Where?s Frank?? Kenny says, ?He?s there.? So we all thought he was there. Start the show. [pause] Frank?s in the bathroom!

F: It?s a big bar. I was sitting there and I hear the strings. I didn?t even have my hat on. I had to run and get my hat, run towards the stage?

R: And the rest of the set he had leakage.

What?s the most common praise or criticism you get from people after the show?
R: That bass player, he?s so cute.

F: We don?t get a lot of criticism because people don?t pay, like U2, 80 bucks a ticket to come see us.

Most people who come to see you are U2 fans, so you must get people who will make comparisons and suggest how you could be more like U2.
D: Mostly just musicians that say, ?Ah, you could?ve played it that way or this way.?

F: There was one guy, he?s seen us a few times [and he?s] such a massive U2 fan that he pulled me aside one time and said, ?Hey, what are you doing? Everybody knows that the headgear you?re wearing is 1991 and the shirt is 2000. That physically doesn?t make sense, just so you know.? I looked at him and said, ?Give me a break.?

Do you ever get tired of doing this?
D: I?ve never gotten tired. [Laughter from the others] No, I usually retire about three times a year.

R: Because of school, but one month into school, he realizes he isn?t doing anything.

If you couldn?t cover U2 anymore, who would you cover?
F: REM.

K: Radiohead.

R: John Mellencamp.

D: Luba.

What would you eliminate from the show if you could get away with it?
D: Ray.

R: The costumes.

K: I?d get rid of the loading and unloading of gear.

Why do you like U2?
F: I?ve read tons of articles about a lot of bands, but the thing about the U2 story, it almost makes me proud to do a tribute to them because as far as big superstar rock bands go?you never hear anything bad about U2. The worst you?ll hear is that Adam got busted for lighting a joint. There?s no bad press. They?ve never fucked up creatively, commercially. They?re a good band with good guys.

If you had a battle of the bands for U2, how would you fare?
F: I think no one can touch us. A lot of tribute bands are put together pretty much like boy bands. We?re four guys that have chemistry.

What would you do if U2 walked in on you playing their stuff?
R: They would probably say, ?Why are you copying us? Stop.?

For more information on Elevation www.hommage.ca, a site dedicated to tribute bands from Canada and all over the world.

Back
Top Bottom