Ramona Satar: All Because of U2*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
By Julie Rowe

I wondered what her story was when I first saw her in the line outside GM Place in Vancouver, though I didn't realize then what an ordeal she'd been through. Later that night, I saw a sign go up on the floor outside the ellipse bearing the stunning message, "I Just Ditched My Wheelchair. Will You Dance With Me?"

I knew that there was no way Bono would pass that up. He didn't. A few songs later he had the sign onstage with him, displayed for the audience to see, and moments later its owner joined him. Imagine my surprise when I saw the girl who had caught my attention earlier that day. I had to find out who she was, how she got onstage and what her sign meant.

"I have Systemic Lupus Erythematosis (SLE)," Ramona Satar of Kelowna, B.C., said. "There were a combination of things which weakened my immune system and brought on the disease. In July 2002, I collapsed from it and was hospitalized."

The lupus caused pain in her joints, exhausting fatigue and severe bruising, yet Satar had to battle with doctors just to get validation of her illness—they kept telling her there was nothing wrong. Finally, they acknowledged she had SLE.

"When I was in emergency, I was in Kelowna," Satar said. "My family had to start a lawsuit to force them to take care of me, because the doctors were content to let me die." For a time, Satar believed she would die.

Satar spent more than two weeks in Kelowna General Hospital, where she was eventually treated with chemotherapy that horrifically burned her skin. But that wasn't the worst of it. "At the hospital, they measured my dose incorrectly for my height and weight at that time. They gave me too high a dose of [one of the chemotherapy drugs]."

That caused Satar to have a stroke that severely incapacitated her, confining her to a wheelchair. Satar needed to be transferred to a different hospital after the stroke, but met with resistance and indifference from the hospital staff. "Most of the medical staff at the hospital in Kelowna had written me off and were convinced I was going to die so they saw no need to send me for better treatment in Vancouver, although it had been noted that the plasma exchange machine, which is what I desperately needed, was in Vancouver General Hospital," Satar said. "I had been told by the doctor that I had only 12-48 hours to live and he said I had to prepare. I was left to tell my mother what was going on. It was by far the worst day of my life. My doctor asked if I'd like him to pray for me and he burst into tears. That was the point when I thought I would die."

But, thankfully, Ramona was more fortunate than many patients, she had an ace in the hole—friends and a loving family determined to fight for her when she couldn't fight for herself.

"My mom called my family and friends to the hospital," she said. "My boyfriend at the time urged my aunt to put some kind of pressure on the doctors to send me to Vancouver for treatment. She was the one who got the ball rolling and put the idea in their heads that if they didn't start moving to airlift me to VGH, there would be hell to pay."

Finally, the hospital in Kelowna agreed to transfer Satar to Vancouver.

Twelve more weeks of hospitalization followed, including more rounds of chemotherapy, and with it, a lot of suffering.

So how does all this connect to U2 and Bono?

"I was 10 years old when I saw Bono at Live Aid, when he danced onstage with that girl—I've wanted to be that chick ever since," Satar remembered.

Satar was fourth in line for tickets for the Elevation Tour but her other favorite band, Depeche Mode, happened to go on sale at the same time. Having money enough for only one concert, Satar chose Depeche Mode because she figured U2 would always be back again.

"They sent me home for Christmas with the wrong medication, and it caused me to relapse," Satar said of her slow recovery. But something else happened during that Christmas at home. She asked for the Elevation Boston DVD for Christmas and was sick with regret at missing the tour. She decided then, "I didn't care how hard I had to work—I was going to be there for this tour. My physical therapist asked me, 'What are your goals for this?' I said, 'You have to get me well enough so that I can survive a trip to Vancouver, standing in a line-up all day—I refuse to be in handicapped seating.' My physical therapist said, 'But they do have that there.' I said, 'Yeah, in the third tier!'"

"From then on, I worked with that goal in mind, in the pool, in the gym," Satar said. "When I found out about the new album, I really put on steam. I freaked out. I knew a tour was coming up." She was determined not only to get out of the wheelchair and walk again, but to dance with Bono.

"I lost three years of my life," Satar said. "I was a make-up artist. I worked for Sebastian, for L'Oreal Professional, and I went all over the world." She said one of the things that bothers her the most is that the illness and the poor treatment caused her looks to suffer as well as her health and career.

"I used to look really good," she said. I've tried so hard to just get back to how it used to be. I still feel like I'm 26, because it's like my life just stopped, but the reality is that I'm 29 now."

Satar even wrote a letter and sent it to the band in Ireland, telling U2 about the situation and how it had inspired her. "It took a lot of prayer and a lot of blood, sweat and tears to get to this point, but really it's all because of U2," she said. "It was just for this, just for U2." Satar is quick to give the band credit for her hard-won recovery but after meeting her, I'm pretty sure Ramona would have gotten herself out of that wheelchair with or without U2.

After all that, though, Ramona didn't think she and her sign would even get in. "Some people were so mean in the line," she said. "They said it wasn't fair, that the sign was too big. I didn't want to wreck anyone else's experience so I promised to put it up for only a few minutes. One of the women near me on the floor grabbed it from me and threw it down. After all I had to do to get here, it really hurt the way people treated me." Satar is quick to mention that not everyone was unkind. "I found that for every one person who didn't want me to bring that sign into the venue, there were three that were in total support of me. I especially remember two girls named Angela and Shae, along with all of the girls they came with, who were such a supportive group. They really held me up."

Finally, the moment she had dreamed of for years was at hand. Bono gave the signal and moments later, Satar was onstage. "Security did a good job of getting me, but then they kind of plunked me down hard in a heap on the stage, so I had a hard time trying to stand and to walk right then, but Bono helped me."

Then something really unexpected happened—Satar's pants fell down, showing a little more skin than she had bargained for. "I was like, 'My pants are falling down, Bono!'" Ever quick-thinking, Bono helped tug her pants back up into place and then reached down to tie Ramona's sweater around her waist. "He said, 'You look beautiful,' and I think he said something about 'it pays to advertise.'"

"I was nervous, so I started talking to Bono a little while we were swaying," Satar said. "I said, 'Thank you for this, you're very sweet,' and he said, 'So are you.' That man smells absolutely heavenly, by the way. I don't think I've ever swooned before in my life, but I did then. He's so cuddly."

Satar said nothing could top her first U2 concert but, "I would have just died if they had played 'Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses,' it's my favorite song."

After the show, Satar had a lot of bruises from security hitting her against the barricade when they brought her out. "My body is so sore, but I don't care," she said. "I'd do it 100 times over again to dance with Bono. I couldn't have prayed harder for this."

Wow, Ramona. This is a beautiful and touching story. I am happy for you that your dream came true. I have had the same dream since I was 17. I got very sick in 2000 with Ulcerative Colitis. I took Prednisone for about 1 year and i started to get pain in my legs. I went to all of these different Doctors for a year and couldn't find out the problem. I was in so much pain and I could barely move. In 2001 I found out I had Avascular Necrosis and from the Prednisone, it had deteriorated my both hip joints. I ended up getting two hip replacements 3 years ago. I thought I would never walk again. I can't stand in the GA but i can walk without a cane . I wonder what it felt like to be with Bono. He seems like a beautiful person. I would love to see pictures if anyone who has them of her and Bono. God works in mysterious ways. God Bless you Ramona and he has:wink: :wave: :wave:

Hello from Ramona!

Hi Everyone,
Man, is it ever weird to see something this personal about yourself up on the net! I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who took the time to read Julie's article on me... I don't even know if I half expected that it would make it into Interference because I really didn't think anyone would care that much.
I just had to thank Julie for writing it as well. It's not that I wanted attention for my illness, but that night in the line up and for several days afterwards, there were lots of people who thought my sign which I took to GM Place was something I made up. I hope now that Julie had decided to tell my story that that kind of inaccurate speculation is finally laid to rest.
Mystic child: God bless you too! - and I know He will. Don't ever lose faith and hope, and don't ever lose sight of your goals no matter what the obstacles are. Our man Bono said himself to DREAM OUT LOUD!...
... for the record, he is extremely sweet and caring. He knew I was pretty weak from the concert already, so he was almost holding me up while we slow danced and he didn't try and make me run with him or anything because he knew it would be too much for me to handle. And he's flirty in a playful/respectful way:hug:

I love her story - but I can sympathize a bit with the fans bothered by her sign.

I was outside the ellipse for the May 10th GA show and a woman kept holding up a series of signs. Now, had they been what this woman was holding, I might not have minded. But they were silly things like "Happy Birthday" or "Elisa from Italy" or "Pick Me Up Bono". And she'd hold them up at the worst times (like when "Bulle the Blue Sky" is playing - I can assure you Bono isn't thinking of dancing with a woman then). If this woman held up her signs only once when Bono came by, we'd all be fine. But after repeatedly holding them up and blocking ALL of our views, we had to keep tapping her on the shoulder. But NONE of us was so rude as to throw her signs on the floor - we just tapped her on the shoulder to indicate she was blocking our views.

So while I empathize a bit with her fellow fans, I also am annoyed that anyone was so rude to disregard a former wheelchair victim or to toss a sign on the ground! :mad: I'm glad she succeeded. :applaud:

Hey Ramona! Loved reading your story in greater detail! I'm so happy for you and your recovery. And thrilled for your amazing dream come true experience!! :happy:

Wow--those doctors sure learned a thing or 2 from you!
Another thought--only Bono could sweat so much on stage and STILL smell good. :wink:

What an amazing story! Ramona, you're so courageous and that's an inspiration. I too have depended on U2 to help me through medical crises-- it's what can foster the greatest connection! I'm glad you got up there to dance with Bono-- you deserve it. :D

Hi there! It's Ramona again... I just wanted to let you know that I will post the pictures that I got back of myself and Bono on stage, but it will take a couple of days because I am totally inept when it comes to computers - I need a friend to come over and teach me how to do it (groan!)... Sorry guys:huh:

Ramona,

Thank you so much for sharing your beautiful story. It gives me hope. I have an auto immune disease which has caused me to not be able to see U2 in concert. I finally bought tickets for the Oakland show in November. I really wanted to do GAs, but I knew that I wouldn't be able to stand that long so I had to end up getting a seat. I'm just so excited that I'll finally been in the same building to actually hear them live! I don't need to dance with Bono, you've done that already for all the girls like me. thank you for making my day a bit brighter.

:hug:
Russty

Oh... you guys are so wonderful to post such nice things! Congratulations Russty!! I am so happy for you. I am thrilled for anyone who gets to see them play in concert. They are so inspirational. I'm addicted after that first one!! And Bono is the epitome of love and kindness.

As for the picture, diamond, I have figured out how to transfer it onto an email... so if you want to send me your email address, I will send you the picture. Since the friend who was going to help me post it has had to leave town this week, maybe you could be so kind as to post it for me? I'd really appreciate it, but if you're not comfortable doing it, I totally understand.

-Ramona

If you decide that you'd like to... or even if you just want to see the picture... my email address is satar@shaw.ca . Actually, anyone who wants to see this shot - let me know and I will email it to you, since I'm a complete tool when it comes to copy & pasting!:(

OOops!

Sorry diamond! I forgot to mention that I was outside the ellipse, slightly off center and to the right (Adam's side). Amazingly enough, I wound up getting almost the exact same spot the next night as well!

3439%3A49523232%7Ffp46%3Dot%3E2327%3D%3C3%3A%3D%3A58%3DXROQDF%3E2323873889476ot1lsi

this is precious.
:)

im sorry those ppl were mean to you, moments like these make the mean ppl go away.

db9

Last edited:
Wow. That's a wonderful story and absolutely beautiful picture. *sniffles a bit* I am so incredibly happy for you, both that you were able to overcome the illness and everything else involved with the hospitalization and that Bono pulled you up on stage!

"Inspirational" is the perfect word for the band. I've had my share of problems (psychological rather than medical) and I can honestly say that seeing U2 in concert this year completely changed my outlook on life. The song "Miracle Drug" was exactly that for me. Reading your story and seeing the picture just reinforces how amazing this band is to me.

It's funny that you mention Miracle Drug because when they played that song was the first time I held the sign up. I waited until Bono had finished talking about the great strides the medical community has made. They were just about to start playing the song when he caught sight of my sign. Everyone around me was going, "Keep it up!... He's reading it, he's reading it!!" My heart was in my throat. Then he nodded in acknowledgement and said into the mic, "We'll talk later." I smiled as if to say "okay" and lowered my sign immediately. Everybody started freaking out and patting me on the back, etc. I thought I was going to pass out, I was so excited.:eeklaugh:

To Ramona (prev sent)

I cannot believe what you have gone through and how much you and your family had to fight for your life - in the end, your life is definitely worth living (not just to dance with Bono!) and I hope more people can be inspired by your story.

I am, however, saddened by two things: the poor medical treatment and indifference of staff that you experienced which is supposed to be uncharacteristic of our supposedly enviable Canadian health care system; and the treatment from those fans in the line-up that are uncharacteristic of the spirit of U2.

I want to wish you all the best and thanks for your inspiring and courageous story.

-Sharon C

Thank you for allowing your story to be shared with us. You look so happy in your pic with Bono :drool: . You've certainly shown courage and dignity. Best of luck!

mysterious doll said:
Okay... I have some concert pictures and I have a few more of myself and Bono. I'll send them like I did last time, diamond
343%3A348323232%7Ffp4%3Enu%3D3236%3E%3B49%3E967%3EWSNRCG%3D323296%3B%3A634%3A5nu0mrj

Ramona
Here ya go.
Im having trouble with the pants one though.
Willl work on it later.:)

db9

Back
Top Bottom