Bio : Daniel Lanois *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

salomeU2000

The Fly
[SIMG]http://bonovox.interference.com/bios/lanoisthumb.jpg[/SIMG]
By Devlin Smith

lanoisshine.jpg

?What a privilege to be able to make music. And what an honor to have it received and appreciated.? - liner notes to ?Shine?

For more than 30 years, Daniel Lanois has been sharing his music with the world as a producer, collaborator and solo artist. His impressive resume includes albums by Bob Dylan, Robbie Robertson, Peter Gabriel, Willie Nelson, Emmylou Harris, Marianne Faithful and U2.

Lanois was born in Hull, Quebec, on Sept. 19, 1951. He got his start in music recording on two-track machines in his family?s Hamilton, Ontario, basement with his brother Robert. In the early ?70s the brothers purchased a four-track machine and set up a home recording studio, charging local bands a $60 fee for their services.

?It was a place for me to go, being a shy kid and wanting to do something special,? Lanois told the Los Angeles Times of his early recording work. ?Music?s the thing I kept coming back to. This was my chance because I saw something in it that nobody else saw so I just ran with it.?

The brothers eventually established a larger recording facility called Grant Avenue Studios, working with artists like Ian Tyson, The Shakers and Raffi. In the late ?70s Brian Eno first came to Grant Avenue to work on his Ambient albums.

When Eno was tapped to produce U2?s fourth album, The Unforgettable Fire, he suggested Lanois serve as engineer, but soon the Canadian became co-producer. Following his time at Slane Castle and Windmill Lane with U2, Lanois began collaborating with Peter Gabriel, co-producing the soundtrack album Birdy in 1984 and Gabriel?s solo albums So (1986) and Us (1992).

This work got Lanois the attention of many high profile artists. He produced albums for Robbie Robertson, Emmylou Harris, Natalie Merchant, Willie Nelson and The Neville Brothers. In 1989, Lanois first began collaborating with Bob Dylan, producing Oh Mercy. Their 1997 effort Time Out of Mind won the Grammy for Album of the Year. ?I?m not going to accept this invitation unless I really have something to bring to the table,? Lanois told VH1.com. ?A lot of people respond to the invitations and make crap records.?

Lanois also maintained his working relationship with U2 and Eno, co-producing The Joshua Tree, Achtung Baby and All that You Can?t Leave Behind. For their work on Achtung Baby, Lanois and Eno earned the Grammy for Producer of the Year, Non-Classical.

In between production projects, Lanois also recorded solo albums. First was 1989?s Acadie, followed by For the Beauty of Wynona and Cool Water. In 2003, Lanois released Shine, an album featuring Emmylou Harris providing vocals for ?I Love You? and Bono co-writing and performing on ?Falling At Your Feet.?

?There's something that happens in camaraderie that's pretty great, especially when you're surrounded by people who love to push the envelope of innovation,? Lanois told the Times. ?I?ve been lucky to have done some of that along the way.?

For more information on Daniel Lanois, his albums and tour dates, please visit: www.daniellanois.com

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom