Bio : Dallas Schoo *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

salomeU2000

The Fly
Bio : Dallas Schoo

By Mike Sturgess
President - Dallas Schoo Fan Club
[SIMG]http://bonovox.interference.com/bios/dschoothumb.jpg[/SIMG]

Dallas Schoo, a down-to-earth, Lexington, Kentucky native, has been Edge?s guitar technician since the second leg of the 1987 Joshua Tree Tour. Recalling that time when Edge contacted Dallas to first work for U2, ?right then they were on the cover of TIME Magazine?so I thought, I?m gonna go with this,? he joked on VH1. Outside of the four members of U2, Dallas is one of the most recognizable members of the U2 organization (next to manager Paul McGuinness). His intense, hard work ethic has been a valuable factor in U2?s successful tours. Tuning anywhere from 17 to 22 guitar throughout a single show, restringing all (and that includes back-ups) of Edge?s guitars before each show, working Edge?s pedal board as he is still tuning, and knowing the ins and outs of Edge?s rig are just a few facets of Dallas? job. ?I love it. It can get very intense if something goes wrong, but it can be the best job in the world,? Dallas informed South Bend?s Observer Newspaper.

Its not only Dallas? guitar work that makes him stand out. The fluffy, sandy haired technician with the slow soft mid-west drawl that we see soundchecking the guitars before each show has an incredible rapport with the fans. Whether he can be seen giving out picks, or setlists, coming to talk to fans, giving a wave or a wink, Dallas always takes time to interact with the U2 faithful.

dschoo.jpg

(Photo Courtesy of the Dallas Schoo Fan Club on Yahoo)

Dallas? incredible work is not only bestowed upon U2. Dallas has also worked with the likes of The Police, The Eagles, Prince, Pearl Jam, and Jimmy Buffet amongst others. Currently, you can find Dallas on tour with Bruce Springsteen, running the boards for Little Steven Van Zandt. A great guitarist himself, Dallas is regarded as one of the best guitar technicians in the business. Dave Eastmen, owner of UltraCase, the company famous for its guitar stands, simply says, ?Dallas is the greatest.?

Dallas still resides in Lexington, and is an avid tennis player and swimmer. Fanclubs have even been developed for Dallas in the last couple of years, some of which Dallas is involved with. Mike Dorfman of Trick Polishes comments, "If anyone deserves a fan club it's Dallas, he's a great guy who enriches everyone he meets."

So next time you see the tall, blonde, usually dressed in all black guitar tech, give him a wave or a shout, and remember what he?s done for U2 and you too!!!!

For more information, visit:
Groups.yahoo.com/group/dallasschoo
Coming soon: DallasSchoo.com

To read an interview with Dallas from TechTV, visit:
http://www.techtv.com/audiofile/features/story/0,23008,3333728,00.html

To read an article on what it takes to set up a U2 show, visit:
http://www.nd.edu/~observer/10102001/News/3.html

Last edited by a moderator:
dallas is great. i met him in dallas (texas) and he was incredibly nice, he gave me some guitar picks as well.

A Message From Dallas!!!!!!!!!!!

Day: Friday, March 21st

Time: 7:47 pm et

My whereabouts: unfortunately not home!

ok I'll get to the story.

Dallas called again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But as I said I wanst home. But my mom *blushes* answered.

Mrs. S: hello?
Dallas: is Mike there?
Mrs. S.: noooo.....*not sure to ask which one since im a jr*
Dallas: is this his wife?
Mrs. S: noooo

Dallas: well, this is Dallas Schoo
Mrs. S: OH MY GOOOD
Dallas: *cracks up laughing*

well this is where I will have to end the line by line cos of course my mom doesnt recall it line by line *how dare she not*

but anyways heres what he said!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

he felt bad right away cos the last few times hes called he hasnt gotten the chance to talk directly to me. he'd like to email me but theres no way he can block his email, cos if others saw it hed get clobered. Someone told him about the bio i wrote for him here!!!! that they saw it on the internet and he checked it out. he called his mom and told her to check it out and told his mom to tell his brothers and sisters. That he was really touched by it - really thankful!

He was in LA getting ready for the Oscars. Wishes he could have talke dto me. He tol dher that he did a print ad for Ultimate Guitar Stands, and for me to look out for it. That he was gonna be working both Edge and Adams guitars Oscar night and that the stage setup was gonna be really different. That everything was gonna be low - key cos of the war. If he got time he would try me again oscar day/night. To let me know tho that it meant a lot to him that I did that. he asked for my hoem address. Told my mom who hes worked for before in the past. Springsteen, Pearl Jam etc.

again, that he was really thankful and for me to take care and that he would get in touch soon!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i've said it before and I'll say it again....and probably a million times after this. DALLAS SCHOO is absolutely the GREATEST!!!!

i was really choked up to hear all that he had to say. I cant wait to get to talk to him - next time hopefully!

Again, Dallas is such a great guy! April and I saw Bruce last August and we were in the front row in front of Little Steven. When I first saw him before the show started, I was thinking, what the hell is he doing here? I had no idea that he was working on that tour. Very cool. So April and I were trying to get his attention (he had to have known we were big U2 fans because none of the other Bruce fans seemed to recognize him). He said hi to us before the show, than afterward he gave us four of Little Steven's guitar picks. As if the show wasn't amazing enough...that made our night! Thanks Dallas!!!

Back
Top Bottom