U2 Video Exploration: Stay (Faraway So Close!)*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
[SIMG]http://bonovox.interference.com/reviews/staythumb.gif[/SIMG]
By annj

Director- Wim Wenders
Producer -Debbie Mason

U2?s videos relay perceptions of the band's music for our eyes to feast on. They can be great talking points for discussion, conjuring up a spectrum of reactions and responses from viewers. This column takes a look at some of U2's videos, analyzing the visual, lyrical and historical context of each to glean a better understanding of what these small films are communicating.

This installment is dedicated to "Stay (Faraway, So Close!)" from ?Zooropa.? This video stands out for me because unlike so many others from U2's catalog where the songs come first for me and the video is secondary, in this case it was the video that brought the song to my attention. The first time I saw the clip for "Stay," I was easily drawn to the images before my eyes.

The video and song are connected with Wim Wenders? 1987 film ?Wings of Desire,? with a plot centering on angels in trench coats who attempt to give solace to world-weary souls in war torn Berlin; a city U2 became familiar with after recording part of ?Achtung Baby? there in 1991 just after the fall of the Berlin Wall, which gives the video added significance. Understanding the film?s theme of angels helps us to contextually unite it with the video of ?Stay.? Wenders and U2 have collaborated many times, and this video or short movie is a fine example of how well they work together. So much so that the song was also nominated for a Golden Globe Award as Best Original Song for Motion Picture from the film of the same name. According to U2.com, the final soundtrack version of ?Stay,? ?contained extra ad-libs and a few extra lines, plus a remixed instrumental track.?

staylarge.jpg

(Image: U2.com)

Like ?Wings of Desire? which was shot in both black and white and color, ?Stay? opens with crisp, clear black and white shots of the members of U2 with passengers on a public transportation bus in Berlin. The opening moments of the song blend so well with the movement of the video, I could just picture sitting in a bus feeling a little weary after a tiring day and the music with Bono's mellow intonations as his singing just fits right in. Another notable observation is that ?Stay? seems to show the members of U2 in what could be considered their first acting role as angels observing humans on the bus, such as Edge playing with the tiny musical toy and listening to it with an expression of fascination, an action carried on throughout the video.

The next scene picks up at a shack or warehouse where a group of young musicians are practicing. We see the members of U2 with them there and decide to go in to investigate the jam session. I love that you see the unknown band and the members of U2 joining them -- Larry picking up the drumstick and beating in time with the drummer, Edge with the guitar player tuning it up as he is playing, Adam watching over the bass player, Bono singing along with the female singer; you can feel the connection there, though they are not visible to the unknown band, they are urging them on and encouraging them, their guardian angels who have an interest in their music.

Through the video we see a shot of a large wingspan, as well as the other members of U2 sitting on the high statue of the angel. The panorama has a haunting beautiful quality about it that fits so well with the song (which is mainly about angels interacting with humans on earth, as in the Wenders film), and is also underlining what I believe is the song's central message of not giving up, that there are unseen forces there backing you up and helping you along. Upon further inspection of the lyrics, it is possible to infer that Bono might be singing in character as the fallen angel who is, "So close but faraway," deciding he wants to remain on earth so he can be with humans and become one of them, just like the character in ?Wings of Desire.?

This connection to the film's theme brings deeper meaning to both the lyrics, "And if you look/You look through me/And when you talk/You talk at me/And when I touch you/You don't feel a thing," and the video. As Bono sings these words you get a new understanding of the scene where he is standing next to the female singer of the unknown group, perhaps realising he wants to be seen and touched and feel as a human does and wishes to explore the gift of making music.

In ?Wings of Desire,? one of the angels falls in love with a woman and wishes to become mortal. At the end of the video, we see Bono leaping from the high statue to land on the ground in the middle of the road with the words, "Just the bang and the clatter/As an angel hits the ground." The exuberance of his new mortality shows as he happily runs off down the road to his new human life on earth and perhaps as a brilliant musician.

Awesome!! :applaud:

I love this video too. Every time I watch it I have to watch the last part where Bono falls on his ass at least some three times. :D Awesome video, maybe their best. It sure is the first where they act, I like the band moment too, it's all very interesting. The whole Zoo TV era was the most interesting of them all. I was younger and at peak as a U2 fan when I first watched that video and I was very impressed and it just hyphened my curiosity towards U2. At that time I was just coming out of a movie phase, I wanted to be a film director (still want a little bit), I had watched the film first so I was very excited that I recognized the characters of the film on the video and that Wenders dressed U2 as the angel characters. The last part where Bono is running with the armor under his arm and it shows two versions of the sky with a clearer sky and with a darker sky is perfect.

:bow:

I watched Wender's movie with the same title -- & I liked it!
the movie deals with an angels that becomes himan -- it's a very poetic film!

It's the followed up of "The sky above Berlin" (I'm translated the italian version title -- hope the original one wasn't too different -- maybe it's the one Annj calls "wings of desire" -- is there anyone who can explain this?)

ya hear the song in the movie, but just for a few sec.

Anyway it's nice to see U2 as angels moving through Berlin -- VERY NICE!!

Thanks Annj -- enjoyable article
:wink:

I think Wings of desire was the first movie, and Sky above berlin was done later?

There was also a US-Hollywood take on this theme with City of angels with Meg Ryan and Nicholas Cage.

U2girl said:
I think Wings of desire was the first movie, and Sky above berlin was done later?

There was also a US-Hollywood take on this theme with City of angels with Meg Ryan and Nicholas Cage.

So we're talking about 3 movies?
- wings of disire
- sky above berlin
- faraway so close

City of Angels.. I remember that: but I think a lot of dialogues of that movie were too confused
Instead the soundtrack was WONDERFUL: alanis morissette, goo goo dolls' "Iris" and, of course, "If god will send his angels" by U2!!!

Hi Annj ? thanks for your wonderful piece on the beautiful video for Stay.

Wings Of Desire is an excellent film. I highly recommend it. It?s on Ebert?s top 100 films (checkout his review.) I have read a number of reviews where critics put it on their all-time favourite film?s list. When I show it to people it frequently ends being among their top 3 films. It came out on DVD with a Director?s commentary last year. Beautifully photographed and directed. It is a deep philosophical / spiritual film. And there is a romantic story there too : - ) Be forewarned - it is in black & white / its in German (with English subtitles) / and it is a very slow film (think of Lost In Translation / The Girl With The Pearl Earring / Kitchen Stories (new on DVD a couple weeks ago = excellent).

Wim Wenders & U2

1.) I read an interview in which Bono related that he based the lyric style of writing of Running To Stand Still on the last scene conversation between the husband and wife in the Wender?s film Paris Texas.
2.) I think that the All I Want Is You video may be possibly connected to Wender?s film Wings Of Desire. The lead female in both is a circus trapeze artist. Wings ends with the circus heading south for the winter. AIWIY is set on a beach in Italy. The ?lover? in Wings misses her as the circus leaves for the south (but he accidentally bumps into her at a nightclub). AIWIY could be a continuation of this story as if they didn?t meet each other at the end of Wings. And instead of angel becoming human as a typical man he comes to life as a small person / a short person. Even though in Wings the woman is longing for a ?genuine? love (regardless of physical appearance) and she thinks and feels at very deep level - in the AIWISY video it could be what sometimes happens in real life ? that is she ?compromises? her values and principles. She ?sells out? for merely a physical and material love > she stops listening to her heart / conscience > she ?settles? for an easy love / a superficial romance. She rejects the small person?s love. When she realizes her mistake it is too late. Her ?heart? has died symbolized by her physical death. Both are filmed in black and white. I?ll have to watch the video again to see if U2 are portrayed themselves as angel-like figures in it?
3.) Wenders directed U2?s Night And Day video.
4.) U2 contributed an alternate studio version of Until The End Of The World to the Wenders film of the same name. (Lanois contributed a track too.)
5.) Wenders directed U2?s Stay (Faraway So Close) video and it is included on the soundtrack of his film Faraway So Close (which the sequel to Wings Of Desire). The Best Of 90s Videos DVD has a Director?s commentary by Wenders.
6.) Wenders film Par-dela Les Nuages (Italian title) or Beyond The Clouds (U.S. title) featured both "Your Blue Room" and "Beach Sequence" from U2?s Passengers album.
7.) U2 contributed their song I?m Not Your Baby to Wenders film The End Of Violence.
8.) Wim Wenders directed a film about the making of the Teatro album ?Willie Nelson At The Teatro? (which was the Lanois recording studio at the time). Daniel Lanois (the co-fifth member of U2) is in it as he was a performer on it and the producer of the album. U2 wrote Slow Dancing for Nelson and they recorded it together in 1997. Emmylou Harris performs too (Larry performed on her Grammy winning and outstanding album Wrecking Ball).
9.) Wenders directed Bono?s film The Million Dollar Hotel. Sometimes the IFC channel shows The Making Of MDH. It has some interesting behind the scenes with Bono. Hopefully - there will be DVD re-release of MDH with this documentary / a Director?s commentary with Bono! / a documentary on the making of the soundtrack! / the TGBHF video / and other bonus features. Wenders wrote a book about the making of MDH called The Heart is a Sleeping Beauty. (Has anybody read it?)
10.) Wenders directed U2?s video The Ground Beneath Her Feet.

u2.com was wrong about there being an instrumental version of Stay on the Faraway So Close soundtrack. ?Stay features a slightly different musical track and is a minute longer than the album version. There are no additional lyrics included in Stay, but Bono does sing more "do do do do's" throughout the song.? - u2wanderer.org. There could a nice single or an EP of just different versions of Stay:
1.) Stay (album) (4:58)
2.) Stay (alternate soundtrack version) (6:06)
3.) Stay (Underdog Mix ? Melon album) (6:45)
4.) Stay (?Craig Armstrong version? on his 2002 As If To Nothing album ? new vocal by Bono ? uses violins) (6:02)
5.) Stay (full band live version ? Dublin August 28 1993 Zoo Europa bootleg) (5:20)
6.) Stay (acoustic live version ? Canadian Stuck single & Walk On single) (5:39)

Last edited:
Text from The Heart is a Sleeping Beauty (from wim-wenders.com)

The Heart is a Sleeping Beauty

The heart is the sleeping beauty
and love the only kiss it can't resist.
Even as eyes lay open wide,
there is a heart that sleeps inside,
and it's to there you must be hastening,
for all hearts dream,
they dream only of awakening.

Nicholas Klein (co-writer of the script with Bono)

Once upon a time there was an enchanted hotel...

... built many, many years ago,
at the beginning of the last century
on the corner of 5th Street and Main,
in the heart of downtown Los Angeles.
For a while it was the tallest and most splendid building
in the city.
And it carried the euphemistic name
The Rosslyn Million Dollar Hotel.

On the other side of the street
stood its sister building, the Rosslyn.
The two hotels were linked by corridors underground.
Each portal mirrored the other.
Round about, business was brisk.
The Million Dollar Theater and the Million Dollar
Pharmacy
were both just round the corner.
The area was certainly worth a few millions.
This was the headquarters
of the American entertainment industry;
Griffith and Chaplin had their offices here...

That was once upon a time.
When the movie industry moved to
Hollywood and Burbank,
the decline of downtown Los Angeles began.

Today
the two sisters still
stare at each other in silence.

But no more wild, flamboyant parties are celebrated here.
Millionaires no longer cross the doorsteps.
The huge iron scaffolding on the roofs
still carries the same signs,
But the light bulbs in those letters
went out seventy years ago,

The Million Dollar Hotel is now called the Frontier Hotel,
It's a flop-house
where you can get a place to sleep
for eight dollars a night;
that is if you don't have to spend the night on the streets,
like the throngs of homeless people
who stake out their cardboard huts
in the streets round about
night after night,
only to lose their homes the next morning
to the garbage collectors.

By day,
a different kind of popularion hurried past the hotel:
bankers clutching briefcases,
yuppies wielding mobile phones,
tourists carrying digital cameras.
At dusk they all seem to vanish into thin air,
leaving the field once again
to the outcasts.

In this other America,
the Million Dollar Hotel
stands as a fortress,
the last bastion of the hopeless,
but also a stronghold,
of drug-dealing and of prostitution.

This is where our film had its beginning
more than ten years ago,
when Bono, in search of a location for the U2 video
Where the Streets Have no Name,
stumbled upon the hotel.
No song came about from his discovery, for once,

but a story,
from that story came a script,
and from the script a film -
which never wanted to conceal
that it might just as well have become a song:
a song about a different America
beyond that great big Dream,
where truly
everyone
is
equal.

By Wim Wenders

The Sky Over (or above) Berlin is the English translation of the German title. Wings Of Desire is the U.S. title. City Of Angels is the Hollywood remake starring Meg Ryan and Nicholas Cage. A typical mediocre smaltzy sappy Hollywood version. ?Look at how beautiful Meg?s eyes are with tears in them.? When I watched it and saw her riding a bike down a mountain forest road I turned to my sister and said: ?The way this movie is going I wouldn?t be surprised if she is run over by a lumber truck right now.? Sure enough she was! Which caused my sister to fall off the couch laughing uncontrollably. Comparing City Of Angels to Wings Of Desire would be like comparing Britney Spears first album to U2?s The Joshua Tree.

wow U2Soar... you are a big wim wenders fan:) I was checking out his website also when I was doing research on the video it was fascinating

valentina said:

So we're talking about 3 movies?
- wings of disire
- sky above berlin
- faraway so close

City of Angels.. I remember that: but I think a lot of dialogues of that movie were too confused
Instead the soundtrack was WONDERFUL: alanis morissette, goo goo dolls' "Iris" and, of course, "If god will send his angels" by U2!!!

Wim Wenders released "Wings of Desire" in 1987. The follow-up to that film is "Faraway, So Close," released in 1993 and the film related to U2's "Stay/Faraway So Close." These are the translated titles for the US. And I'm guessing that "Sky Above Berlin" was the translated title in Italy.

I was already a fan of "Wings of Desire" when I saw the U2 video for the second film. I still remember it because it is the first time I have ever seen a U2 vid BEFORE hearing the song (just like Annj) and I was in Paris on a high school trip and I was totally blown away. It is still my favorite video (though the boys in drag makes a close second...)

I love anything that U2 and Wim Wenders collaborate on. Many of you probably own the soundtrack to Wenders' Million Dollar Hotel, no? (If not - get it!)

Anyway... if you haven't seen Wings of Desire you should and don't think that seeing City of Angels (the US remake) comes close, because there is no comparison!! Thanks for the video recap Annj!!

Candice

thanks.. but I just discovered I can't play my best of u2 1990 -2000 dvd on my comp anymore the dvd player is buggered after I reinstalled the comp.. and it won't play on my dvd player now either so I can't watch it anymore :sad:
*wonders should she borrow her sons x box*

I think that this is U2's best video...the images match the song so very well.......My favorite moment is the band watch the unknown people playing the song..........

Der Himmel ?ber Berlin (which literally means 'the heavens/sky above Berlin' in English) was the German title for Wings of Desire. Wim Wenders thought the translated phrase "the sky over Berlin" sounded like a bad 1950's war movie in English, so he chose "Wings of Desire" for the English title, which he now prefers to "Der Himmel ?ber Berlin."

Thanks Meegannie!

My favourite part of the U2 video is the part when the guys are on the bus! I love Bono's sight in one of the first scenes!!

And according to you: who is Bono supposing to talk to the phone when he's half sitted on the floor?

Back
Top Bottom