U2 Set list Considerations in the ‘Atomic’ Era*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
By André Axver

A new U2 tour is fast approaching and one of the critical elements required to create a successful and entertaining tour is a set list. For a band as socially conscious and political as U2, the theme and tone of a set list can determine the direction, impact and message of the show. This has been witnessed in the past with the media barrage and break-from-the-past of ZooTV, and the back-to-basics approach of the Elevation Tour, and this new tour will undoubtedly see another approach employed by U2 to compliment the new album's intended message.

Devising an appropriate set list is not easy, and the band must take many factors into consideration. Sonic and thematic cohesion is not always easy to find and the demands of a broad audience must be acknowledged.

When determining set lists, U2 has to consider its diverse audience. At even smaller U2 concerts, diehard fanatics from 1980 mingle with people attending simply to hear “Beautiful Day,” and all levels of fan in between. For this reason, U2 must seek a balance and offer a show that keeps the casual fan interested while allowing the diehard to go home feeling as if they have seen a new U2 experience rather than a PopMart rerun.

There seems to be one song that every person expects to hear at a U2 concert— “Where the Streets Have No Name." Whether opening the main set, closing it or appearing elsewhere in the set is anyone’s guess, but it is safe to say "Streets" and a few other U2 standards, like "Pride" and "One," will be played during every U2 tour until the conclusion of the band's career.

Beyond “Streets,” and a few other tracks, it's not certain what could be played or how much set list variety will be offered to the audience. It is certain classic tracks and radio hits will be played, but due to the vast quantity of songs in that category, U2 would have to dramatically extend its set list to include them all. One way to enure that the most U2 favorites get their turn live is for the band to have rotating set lists. If that is the case, the line-ups would share common elements, such as “Streets”and recent hits, but otherwise would showcase the depth of U2’s catalog, bringing satisfaction to both the casual fan wanting to hear “With Or Without You” and the diehard looking for variety.

Along with performing classic songs, another factor that must be considered is the inclusion of new songs. U2 will be promoting a new album and, in all likelihood, six to nine positions a night will be given to songs from “How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb.” In a set list approximately 20 to 22 songs long, that is a considerable minority of positions filled before even the classics are included. Many fans who have written speculative set lists have featured a new song as the opening track, following a pattern set by U2's three most recent tours. Whatever the case, whether a new or old song will open upcoming concerts, surely many new songs will be featured in the set list.

With the combination of new and classic songs, it is essentially necessary for significant rotation or multiple set lists to be employed to allow U2 to include their own favorites and what are known as “old gems,” the songs that have not been featured in a long time or that are held in high regard by the fans. On the ZooTV tour, U2 broke with the past, almost solely performing the major hits from the ‘80s, “Achtung Baby,” and some songs from “Zooropa” after its release. The set list of the PopMart Tour countered this with the nightly inclusion of “I Will Follow,” but it wasn’t until the Elevation Tour that serious variety began to return. From regular performances of such older songs as “Out Of Control” to rare performances of tracks like “A Sort Of Homecoming” and “In God’s Country,” Elevation set lists had a more unique feel than those of the two preceding tours.

Another factor in creating a set list is the theme and message of the album and tour. Songs like “Discotheque,” while at home on PopMart, would have felt out of place on the Elevation Tour. Although no one can know for certain what the band will promote or convey on the upcoming tour, clear relations to past work can be drawn through the album title of “How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb;” 1982’s “A Celebration” and 1983’s “Seconds” both mention the same weapon. Connections like this may seem to create very solid implications that these songs will be played but they are by no means certain to be featured. After all, despite the heart-shaped stage and logos of Elevation, “Into the Heart” and “Two Hearts Beat as One” were not performed. Therefore, while a thematic connection creates a likelihood of specific songs reappearing in the set list, there is no assurance that they will be played.

These are some of the factors and considerations relating to the nightly set lists for U2’s upcoming tour, there are many more elements that U2 would have to consider, such as Bono’s ability to sing old songs and the way lighting effects work with the music. Ultimately, little can be known until U2 actually perform a full concert, but the band is expert at designing set lists that flow cohesively while still satisfying the audience, providing an array of new songs, classic hits and old gems. There is no doubt that U2 is aware of the expectations and will rise to the challenge. It is only a matter of time before we discover what speculation was accurate and what was completely wrong.

My choice for a set-list!

Vertigo
All Because Of You
Until The End Of The World
Elevation
I Will Follow
Love And Peace Or Else
Miracle Drug
Beautiful Day

A Man And A Woman (acoustic)
Desire (acoustic)
Staring At The Sun (acoustic)

Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
All I Want Is You
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Bad
Running To Stand Still
New Year's Day
Pride
Where The Streets Have No Name

encore break

Bullet The Blue Sky
Mysterious Ways
One
With Or Without You
Original Of The Species

That's a great list.

The big question for me revolves around the opener. I find it always sets the tone for the energy at the start.

Vertigo is the favourite, no doubt, for an opener, but something tells me LAPOE may have a say. It seems like it was written for an opening--especially the gritty electronic wailing bit right at the start of the song.

I may be completely wrong though...if it's Vertigo, I'd love to hear one of the great re-mixes as a build-up to the performance.

Can't wait until the tour :dance:

Gloria is a song that i prefer to hear live over I Will Follow. But it seems that they don't play Gloria live anymore and they haven't in a long time. Bad is my all time favorite song, so to hear it live really means alot to me. Which every U2 concert i have ever been to plays Bad. I have a feeling it might be City Of Blinding Lights to be the opening song. I am so excitted for them to come to America.:wink: :wink:

I hope to God that NYD and Pride don't get a back to back airing.

i have a gut feeling that U2 may shock us by dropping a few of the classics! imagine the reaction of them dropping Streets!!! they wouldn't go that far....but songs like NYD, SBS and BAD are songs they've dropped on previous tours so they may drop them this time around....not saying I want them to...Bad is one of my favourite songs...just trying to think how they'd approach it. They might drop Bullet for the first time?? who knows

the thought of them doing medlays makes me shudder.

what a dilemma they have...so many clasic songs and a new album! my solution would be for them to do a four hour gig! hehe....joking.

Miami
Lemon
Playboy Mansion
If god will send his angels
I threw a brick
Shadows and tall Trees
A Celebration
Red Hill Mining town
Heartland
Your'e so cruel
WGRYWH
A man and a woman
Zooropa

All should get a play

gotta agree with the tourist's opening two songs:

Vertigo
All Because of You
Mysterious Ways
Do You Feel Loved
Beautiful Day

Acoustic set:
Falling At Your Feet
Medley: Angel of Harlem/Everlasting Love/Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
Man And A Woman

( they head back to main stage to synthesizer opening melody
& break into:)
Love Peace Or Else
I Will Follow
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
With Or Without You
Desire
One

Encore:
The Fly
Pride
Where Did It All Go Wrong / or
Holy Joe (garage mix)
Yaweh

(ok... the 2nd to the last songs are pipe dreams that I'd love to hear)

(same goes for Slow Dancing...I'd love to hear that ...or Heartland...)

-menzies

i'm not going to do a full set list, but In god's Country and Red Hill Mining Town would pretty much do me right, I'm a Joshua Tree Man.

I agree that all of October would be awesome as well as my fav The Unforgettable Fire. I have a feeling 40 is in the past, which is sad. I loved it when the concert would be over and the chilling song of Clannad " Harry's Game", is the most spiritual feeling song to have at the ending of the U2 or any U2 concert but i believe they stopped playing that at the end of the Joshua tree tour.:wink: :wink: :wink:

Menzies set list is full of dross!

I can't be arsed to do a full set list, but I can tell you that they'll open with All because of You.

Vertigo
All Because of You
Until the end of the world
new years day
out of control
sunday bloody sunday
Miracle Drug
Sometimes......
Man and a women
Running to stand still
A Sort of homecoming
All I want is you