Opinion: Why (and How) U2 Should Reissue 'Pop'*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
[SIMG]http://forum.interference.com/gallery/data//585/11265pop-sml.jpg[/SIMG]
By Kal Carpenter

"Pop" is a good record but it could have been great, it should have been a masterpiece. Recently when I was checking over the daily U2 rumor mills on the internet, I came across a few posts about U2 pondering a re-release of the 1997 album "Pop." It's the album that has probably been the most debated among U2 fans ever since its release. As we know, the 1990s were a time of both playful and serious experimentation for U2, not only musically but also on personal level. Beginning with "Achtung Baby" in 1991, U2 was saying that it was a band capable of so much more than three chords, the truth, and self-indulgent concert films. Right through "Zooropa," "Passengers" and finally to "Pop," U2 became the greatest band in the world at keeping everyone guessing and then shocking the hell out of everyone, not just with the new music but a new persona as well. To me the band members were still good guys, they just carried themselves with a bit more swagger and all donned the coolest sunglasses they could find for public appearances.

"Pop" is my favorite period of U2's '90s experimentation. Everything from the album, to the videos, to the mind-blowing world tour that was PopMart was, and still is, unlike anything U2 has ever done. But it's the album itself that remains the most controversial subject of the era. I was a sophomore in high school when "Pop" was released and I was just getting into U2 during the summer of 1997 when the tour was in full swing. My first U2 purchase was "Achtung Baby" because I fell in love with the opening riff of "Even Better Than the Real Thing" that was played on all the PopMart commercials on the radio, plus "Mysterious Ways" and "One" were on it, two songs I loved as a kid. That album became my soundtrack of the summer but looking back now I wish that I'd bought "Pop" instead and saw at least one PopMart show. But in the end, the album and tour didn't actually do as well as U2 had hoped. Due to the immense cost and production of the tour, the album was finished in a rush to allow the band time to rehearse before the tour began. Since then the band has conceded that it was the biggest mistake it has ever made, booking a tour of that magnitude before the album was finished. And it shows on the album.

While "Pop" is one my favorite U2 albums to this day, it also breaks my heart every time I listen to it. Some of my favorite songs sound so rushed and fall short of greatness. Songs like "If God Will Send His Angels," "Last Night on Earth" and "Please" don't even begin to realize their full potential. Bono keeps saying, "if only we had another month." He may be right. I think "Pop" could have used another three or four months by how incomplete and hurried it sounds. The "Pop" sessions were a very experimental time for The Edge as he introduced a whole new slew of sounds and tones on his guitars, with some hits and some misses. Bono's vocals left much to be desired on certain parts of the album. The majority of U2 fans have always dubbed Bono and Edge the driving force of the band but I would argue that over the years it has always been U2's rhythm section that "drives" the music and makes you tap your feet, bob your head and clap your hands at concerts. As far as individual performances go, Adam Clayton's clearly the unsung hero of "Pop," his provocative and driving bass licks are the highlight of most the songs on the record. In many ways, "Pop" was the album where Clayton and Larry Mullen Jr. finally caught up to Bono and Edge's love affair with dance and underground and, in many ways, surpassed them.

Another problem with the album, besides the songs themselves, is the running order. This isn't the only time U2's faced that problem. I feel the band blew the order on "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb" even worse. In fact the only times U2's really nailed the running order was on "The Joshua Tree" and "All That You Can't Leave Behind."

11265pop.jpg

With recent talk of U2's plans to reinvent "Pop," let's tackle the album now, song-by-song, in a running order that would be much more effective and enjoyable, in my humble opinion. I actually programmed the following order into my CD player one day and immediately liked the album more than ever.

1. "Discotheque”: This is still the obvious and best choice to open the album, not because it's the best song on the album, though it could be for all it's untapped potential, it should still open the album because it was the leadoff single in '97 and provided an exciting and accurate indication of what kind of album to expect. As I made a case for earlier, this was Larry and Adam's album, and Adam's opening bass line on "Discotheque" still gives me goose bumps, it's the core of the song. However, his bass and Larry's kit should be brought out front on "Discotheque," I've always felt that the rhythm section was too muffled behind all of Edge's fuzzy guitar tones. Edge almost goes a little overboard with the barrage of guitars on this one. Bono's vocals are pretty solid but all of the backing vocals are somewhat distracting, so they should be scaled back a little bit. The Mike Hedges remix of "Discotheque" on "The Best Of 1990-2000" was much improved and I think the band would be wise to build off that mix. I've always liked this song but have never loved it and I really want to.

2. "Mofo”: What a great live one as this was the opener of choice for the world tour. The song captures the band's underground leanings of the period better than any song on "Pop" and is another personal favorite. However, I immensely enjoy the live version, particularly from the Mexico City concert film. I think that if U2 could somehow capture the raw power of Edge's expanded guitar riffs from the live show and mix it in with the sonic energy of the album version, it would have a real gem. I love Bono's performance on this one, his throaty whisper on the verses that became frequent and quite affective during the '90s really helps accentuate that contemporary, underground feel that makes "Pop" so unique and exciting. I have only one major complaint with "Mofo," title is slang for "motherf--ker" but on the album Bono croons, "Mother-sucking rock 'n' roll," instead of "mother-f--king." I'm guessing he left the "f-bomb" out even for the live shows. I never understood it because the religious ballad "Wake Up Dead Man" has a loud and clear "f--k" in one of the opening verses. I think "mother-sucking" is cheesy. Go with the slang this time guys, it will appeal more to the younger crowd, too, and U2 is always looking for fresh blood to stay iPod- and MTV-worthy.

3. "Staring at the Sun”: This was supposed to be the big golden single of the summer of '97 but it fell short when all was said and done. Bono and the boys will be the first to admit that they never quite cracked this one the way they wanted, and I couldn't agree more. I loved the song when it first debuted that summer but it has fizzled on me as time has passed. The first thing that jumped out at me when it came out was the familiar "bubbly" or "wavy" guitar sound of Edge's, or, as I often refer to it, the "One guitar" reminiscent of the guitar sound from "One" off "Achtung Baby." When I listen to it now, that guitar effect sounds overdone in "Staring at the Sun." The Mike Hedges remix did little to bring the song up to par. I know the band has probably exhausted themselves on this one but I think could still make it special. I say start by stripping it down, since U2 has become so popular again for that, and basically begin at its core—the contagious melody by Bono. I always liked the naked acoustic performance of this song live but, obviously, the record would need more. I say Edge should stick to one guitar and blanket the song with some of his good old-fashioned sonic architecture.

4. "Gone”: This song has become a personal favorite of the band's, as was obvious when placing it on the latest greatest hits collection, despite not being a radio standard or overwhelming crowd pleaser. It's definitely one of U2's best rockers (live and on record) and should be moved up in the running order to keep the album's first-half momentum going. Plus it goes great after the laid back "Staring at the Sun." This was also the best Mike Hedges remix from the greatest hits, equally as good as the original version. Adam's swooping bass line in the beginning should stay and the guitars could come out more too. I think a mix of elements from the original, the Hedges remix and the live version (particularly from Elevation in Boston) and U2 has it.

5. "Please”: This is a big jump from 11 on the original running order but it's necessary. This is one the best songs from the album but, unfortunately, U2 didn't even come close to finishing it for the album. The band has made huge strides on the single and it's a shame for those who only have the album to have never heard this version. Edge's guitar sounds much more exciting (like the fuzz tone of the guitar on the chorus) on top of Larry's jaw-dropping drum performance and Adam's frantic bass showcase at the end. I think adding the acoustic guitar touches from the Elevation Tour could mix in well, too. Overall, build only a little from the single version but don't overdo it.

6. "Last Night on Earth”: My favorite from "Pop," and the best nighttime cruising song ever, is left in the same spot. Despite these accolades, there's still great room for improvement. As the story goes, Bono was laying down vocals for this the morning "Pop" was mastered. It shows, especially in the main chorus where Bono's voice is really struggling. Edge is louder than ever to cover for Bono, not that there's anything wrong with that because Edge always sounds great. However, Bono redeemed himself on the chorus for the tour, just listen to the Mexico City show. I'd love to hear that vocal interplay between Bono and Edge explode on the album as it did in concert. The single mix was good, too, but I enjoy the messy guitar opening on the album version better as it makes the anticipation for the arrival of Adam's rollicking bass line all the more exciting.

7. "If God Will Send His Angels”: This song moved down in the pecking order because I always felt it reared its "angelic" head way too early for what is arguably U2's heaviest and darkest album. I think "Please" fits better as an early mellower than this one because of the subject matter and tempo. One thing that hurt the album version was the final mix arrangement. As with "Please," you've missed out if you haven't heard the single version of this song, as the band finally had all the verses and choruses in the correct flow. One thing I do like from the album cut is the extra verse in the beginning and the horn section that plays in the background. I also love the little "angelic" harmony from this song that comes in at the trail end of the verses, which you can barely hear. That should be brought out more because it's genuinely serene.

8. "Do You Feel Loved”: This is where the second-half of the album begins and I couldn't think of a better introduction to it than this one. Another great song to cruise to, day or night, it's another bass clinic by Adam and I love the intro, one of U2's coolest ever. However I feel like it loses steam a little bit as the song goes on. I think Edge ran out of ideas on this one. The Morse Code-esque guitar blips become redundant and I think a rare Edge solo could have been effective for this track. This song had great potential, especially in a live setting, but apparently rehearsals for it stalled and it never really made the PopMart rotation. It's unfortunate because a great driving song like this really fit for the drive-in movie, which PopMart essentially was.

9. "Holy Joe”: Huh, you say? Yes, "Holy Joe." I always liked this song and never understood why it didn't make the album, especially after being played at the infamous PopMart press conference at K-Mart in New York. If you've ever heard the "Garage Mix" of this song from the "Discotheque" single then you may know what I'm talking about. While it's slow to get moving, once Edge kicks it into high gear, I get the goose bumps that Edge is so good at giving me. Bono's melody could be developed much more and some more guitar textures by Edge to get the song moving along faster would help, too. Really, the possibilities are endless as the band hardly scratched the surface on this one. The main reason to add this to any re-release is because it's the only song left that I'm familiar with from the "Pop" sessions to not be released on an album. It would make a good single if dressed up nicely to help promote the re-release.

10. "Miami”: The weakest song from "Pop," hands down. I don't know where U2 was going with this one but it's safe to say the band never got there. Very stale performances by Bono and Edge leave you wanting so much more on this one, you just don't know what. I couldn't even begin to make suggestions on what to do to salvage this song, so I will leave this one alone. I say just let Edge get his hands dirty and have fun with it. I hope U2 can fix it, if only for the fact that lyrically, it's one of Bono's best texts on the record. Even beat poet Allen Ginsberg was impressed.

11. "If You Wear That Velvet Dress”: U2 gives "erotica" a whole new meaning with this devilish yet soulful little ballad. Bono, in one of his most memorable vocal performances from the album, takes advantage of the years of wear and tear on his voice and sings way down, so naked and vulnerable that you almost want to cry. Of course Adam again is the core of the song and Larry's gentle percussion is perfect. I think Edge was solid here, too, but some new guitar overdubs could be beneficial. I've always liked "Velvet Dress" but feel a little tune up could finally earn it the recognition it has always deserved.

12. "Playboy Mansion”: A catchy little number that, perhaps, could have been a single had it not fallen apart two minutes in. Again, I may ask too much of my beloved lead guitarist Edge but I'd love to see him do a little more with this one. The melody is there and it's strong, and Adam's bass is gorgeous again. Larry's drums could be spiced up, too, I think.

13. "Wake Up Dead Man”: Still the album closer because there can be no other place for it. While there's a lot going on with Bono's words, I feel like the performance of the band let the words down in a big way. I can't put my finger on it exactly but it just doesn't give the album the fitting climax it deserves. That's evident in how anti-climactic the song was as a closer for the tour. It was usually just Bono and Edge alone, leaving out the other half of the band that had just played for two hours as well. A good closer is there in the lyrics but I think a big overhaul is needed for the music.

If U2 is going to re-issue "Pop," the band should do it soon. In fact I think U2 should begin work on it once the tour is over, before starting another album.

Also, if U2's going to do it right, the band needs to bring back the other people who originally worked on the album in order to recapture the mood and feel of a record that U2 has been away from for a long time—Flood and Howie B, of course, but also Steve Osborne, Mark "Spike” Stent, Rob Kirwan and whoever else was influential to the album. No Steve Lillywhite or Daniel Lanois please, otherwise the album will just sound like the next “All That You Can’t Leave Behind” or “How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb.” Although Jacknife Lee is from the “Atomic Bomb” production team, it seems like he's somebody who could add some of the new flavors the album desperately needs. Also some new cover art could be used, I always thought the cover of their four faces was rather bland. And to go along with the grand re-release should be some added bonus content. I would include the following: a making-of documentary (including footage of both the original and the re-issue sessions), music videos for the singles (including one for new single "Holy Joe") and PopMart concert footage (maybe a few concerts in their entirety or the best live performance of each song from the album).

The main reason I want to see "Pop" re-released is a bit selfish and might not be very practical but would make me the happiest man alive—a PopMart II tour. This would allow all the newer U2 fans like me a chance to see this grand spectacle at last, live and in person. It would also give the band a chance to redeem itself for all the problems "Pop" and PopMart had and actually make a profit this time. It was truly an incredible artistic statement and should be seen again. Maybe this time the disco ball lemon won't hit a malfunction junction.

There has been talk for years about whether or not U2 could be a stadium band again, particularly in the United States. If the band brought back a brief PopMart tour, it sure as hell could! I want to relive the summer of 1997 when I spent every waking hour listening to "Achtung Baby" as a new U2 fan, when I should have been hitching a ride to every PopMart show I could and listening to "Pop."

Two years from now will mark the 10-year anniversary of "Pop" and an album redux and world tour to mark the occasion would make for one awesome summer. No other stadium tour by U2 or any other band could top the spectacle and grandness of another PopMart. It would put to rest once and for all the doubts of the album and tour. I think one last go around, the right way, will put "Pop" back at No. 1 in the charts and No. 1 in people's hearts—just the way it was supposed to be.

Bring Popmart back to Europe next summer. That would be great. We`ve had enough of U2 stripping down their live performances on the last 2 tours. Lets Get the lemon and the whole fucking circus back. U2 are the only band in the world who can do it.

Forget the echo ridden stadiums and arenas. Get back to the outdoor natural arenas. Leeds-Roundhay Park, Knebworth, Loch Lomond, Slane castle.

heres to bringing back Pop and Popmart

Amen Kal!

I've put your running order in my Ipod as a playlist, ready to give it a go tomorow...

My favourite album (being a bassplayer) because it is indeed the masterpiece of Adam and Larry....

I think it's a great idea. I knew when I first heard "Pop" that something just wasn't right and then I heard what had happened and it's never set right with me since. And I'm with you in that I miss the extravagance of the Zoo TV and Popmart tours. Those were the two greatest tours in music history. Others have tried it, but no one except U2 can pull it off right. How about a Popmart TV Tour? ;)

A few more re-releases I would like to see from U2:

- DVD version of the Zoo TV Tour from Sydney film

- DVD version of the Popmart Tour from Mexico City film

- Widescreen or even HD full concert dvd from the current Vertigo Tour

- inclusion on one of those dvd's of the color version of the song "New York" from the Elevatiuon Tour from Boston dvd. The concert footage was recorded in June 2001 but the dvd was released after 9/11 so that song was shown in black and white in rememberence of what happened that sad day. I was unable to attend that concert tour and have wondered what the performance looked like in full color.

Right on! I would love to see a re-release of Zoo TV and PopMart on DVD. Those are two of my favorite concerts to watch. Vertigo in HD would be super cool too. Kal your new track order for POP is brilliant. I also created a playlist on my iPod and I can't wait to listen to it. POP is one my favorite ablums, I have always felt like people haven't given it a chance. "Please" , the live from Rotterdam version, is an amazing listening experience.

Let's all calm down a bit... this is all pure conjecture based on a few tossed off (and more than likely not serious) comments. U2 doesn't go in reverse and I can't see them choosing to reheat this leftover when they have other food to cook.

Did I use enough metaphors? I digress... WIth that said, I'll play along.

I like the idea of using the single and "best of" mixes for sure. They were a huge improvement, esp. Discotheque. But the thing that kinda jarred me was the mere suggestion of asking the production team back. Absolutely not. No way. Awful idea. I'm sorry but Howie B is NOT a song guy, he's a SOUNDS guy. And Pop's biggest failure is its songs. Weak arrangements, ideas that go nowhere and two in particular that are embarassing cliches right outta the gate (If God Will Send.. and Playboy Mansion). Production-wise, they would be in far better hands with someone who knows how to pound a "Pop" song into shape.

I'm pretty brutal on the Pop album. I just remember the sickening dread I felt after not being moved song after song after song... There are moments on the record, but too few and certainly not enough for a U2 record. God didn't walk through the room during the Pop sessions. God was over at Jane Seymour's house helping Radiohead or something... I keep going back to it thinking maybe it was ahead of its time or I might grow into it but sadly no... it remains crap. Sigh.

But here's the thing... One crap album in 25 years? That's amazing! That's unheard of. So it's ok. A missed opportunity, but it's ok. And the fact that its a failure illustrates what I love most about U2: Even when they fail (as rare as that is), it isn't for lack of passion or depth or talent. When Bono misses a note and tries again anyway... that's what makes me love them. They don't quit and if you'll allow me to get a little sentimental... it's probably the biggest lesson I've learned from being a fan for 22 years. Dream Out Loud, indeed.

Pop-Redux

Right on. i have a cd in my car I call Pop-Redux. Basically I use the versions from the best of albums and singles for Please and Last Night on Earth. i know that leaves a good portion of it original, but my Redux version of the album is a large improvement. I think it makes the original unlistenable!

I agreed with a lot of what was said especially since I deeply regret not picking up Pop when it was released and not dicovering the band for another four years.

Interestingly though when I was going through the back catalogue in the summer of 2001 (at a tremendous rate) Pop was an instant favourite and I preferred it to Actung Baby (and if I'm honest with myself maybe I still do). It just fell short and just needed a little more work, lyrically the album is much stronger than AB I think, much darker.

Popmart 2 would be a great idea, I'm the same boat as I would love a second chance but despite the albums shortcomings (the final layers of polish) I don't think apart from the North American opening the tour can be faulted. Just look at how many of the band's all time legendary shows came during this tour: Wembley was arguably the bands best ever UK performance and despite the horseness there's Sarajevo, the South American shows and one of my all time favourite bootlegs is the Tel Aviv show.

Great article though, really got me thinking!

I say this with love in my heart my friend although it will undoubtedly come off harsh.

You prefer Pop over Achtung Baby? That's just crazy. You worry me. You scare me, in fact. ;-) And the thing about Pop's lyrics being better? I'll take "in dreams begin responsibilities" over "coke is more than a drink. and big mac bigger than you think" any day of the week.

We agree on the tour though... PopMart was a great show. I loved the new arrangements of the older songs especially Streets.

I am not a big Pop fan and didn't really care for the huge tour anyway. I like that U2 have gotten back to their roots and that the music sounds amazing again. I am an old U2 music fan and have a special place in my heart for the 80's because that was the time for my years in Jr. High and High School so it means alot to me. It is also the first time I saw U2 was in my Jr year. So I am biased to early U2 and the music and tours that they did back then. It has a special feeling to me and I would have that so called spiritual experience's. Pop to me was all hype and no music. It had to do more with looks and outrageous shows that were just way over the top for me. I felt that U2 forgot who they were and got lost somehow but is seems that they have found their way back. To redo Pop seems that they want to remake a crap album and to make themselves look better from making such a bad album to looking good. I feel they should let it go and go forward. The past is the past and Bono has been quoted that he doesn't look back on things and that Pop will be doing just that. Live for today not yesterday. :)

First of all Achtung Baby is probably my favorite album. But Pop is pushing it, it always does. All opinions respected but I say Fuck Off to bringing out any new re-done Pop album, new Pop cover art and a re-release of an album all together. I do agree with some aspects of his post like LNOE single version is better etc. But changing cover-art, changing track order, I mean why not then change the name and the songs. It’s still Pop. It’s an idea, you can’t just change the idea later down the track because it failed to sell 20 million copies. The album might have been better or worse 4 months later, no one knows that or will. But really it’s history and people fuck with history way too much.
Ya see Pop is different; it’s really dark and really funky. It’s got a bit of everything in it, from the glide of Gone to clang of Mofo. It’s diverse and yeah in many ways it's better than Achtung Baby! It shows off those colours U2 has, the ones that Bono talks about in The Year in Pop documentary.

If U2 re-does Pop I will for sure lose a huge amount of artistic respect for them because they shouldn’t be focusing on there mistakes. There are probably mistakes in even Achtung Baby or even The Joshua Tree. How would everyone feel if they re-worked Achtung Baby? Why did they re-do Who’s Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses for instance, it’s better on the album! Maybe it could be better if they re-worked AB? Doesn’t mean I want them to! So could probably Zooropa or even The Joshua Tree, it's all just Hindsight! Fooling around with a great album is preposterous.. Gone needs no changes and neither does Staring At The Sun. I did actually like the single version of IGWSHA more and also LNOE. But that does mean I want a re-release! Just make a new Album for the love of all things holy!!

And by the way I know way more U2 fans who love that album than fans I know who say 'it wasn't there best'Even some of my non U2 friends dig that album! It's got Funk, unlike any other u2 album out there.

U2 are not going to be able to change the past by releasing a new album, all they are going to be able to do is re-release an album which will sound less dancy so that they can get a few more US sales! It’s like Plastic surgery for all the wrong reasons.

I do agree with some aspects of his post like LNOE single version is better etc.
But changing cover-art, changing track order, I mean why not then change the name and the songs. It’s still Pop. It’s an idea, you can’t just change the idea later down the track cause it failed to sell 20 million copies. It’s like Plastic surgery for all the wrong reasons.

All opinions respected but I say Fuck Off to bringing out any new re-done Pop album, new Pop cover art and a re-release of an album all together.
If U2 does that I will for sure lose a huge amount of artistic respect for them because they shouldn’t be focusing on there mistakes. There are probably some in even Achtung Baby or even The Joshua Tree. How would everyone feel if they re-worked Achtung Baby? It could be better if they re-worked it maybe? Doesn’t mean I want them to! So could probably Zooropa or even The Joshua Tree, it's all just Hindsight! Fooling around with a great album is preposterous.. Gone needs no changes and neither does Staring At The Sun. I did actually like the single version of IGWSHA more and also LNOE. But that does mean I want a re-release! Just make a new Album for the love of all things holy!!

And by the way I know way more U2 fans who love that album than fans I know who say 'it wasn't there best'Even some of my non U2 friends dig that album! It's got Funk, unlike any other u2 album out there.

U2 are not going to be able to change the past by releasing a new album, all they are going to be able to do is re-release an album which will sound less dancy so that they can get a few more US sales!

eh... maybe I can agree on the re-done POP... but DO NOT RE-DO POPMART... that was the best tour ever... and some may not care, but the critics will kill them if POPMART II happens...

besides... there can only be 1 Lemon breakdown :wink: (Oslo, for those who didn't know)

I disagree with the running order comments regarding JT (I felt "Bullet" was wildly out of place as the 4th song - ruined the mood created by the first 3 songs), HTDAAB (I love the running order for this album) and that of "Pop". While I see the merits of the new suggested running order for "Pop", it's still not quite right. There are more changes to be done (especially the movement of "If God Will Send His Angels" and calling "Do You Feel Loved" as the eighth song on a 13 track album the "beginning of the second half!). Given that U2 has done 11-track albums, I think "If God Will Send..." should have been left off completely and made into a b-side. 12 songs is enough.

However, barring that, I do agree with the overall sentiment of this article. There's a lot missing on "Pop" - namely that spark that resides in all other U2 albums. Even with all the negativity from fans on this site regarding ATYCLB and HTDAAB being "too safe", both albums still have that spark that has made them huge successes. This was missing on "Pop". Fortunately, U2 will never let that happen again. Even if they do try some heavily experimental work, given that they take 4 years between albums, they have tons of time to get it right. ;)

Hola amigos :wave:

I agree and disagree with the original post at the same time :scratch:

While I do love POP :heart: (as Kal Carpenter does) I strongly defend the ORIGINAL Pop album :drool: and I don´t know how does he´s dare to say that some "New Mix" version would improve the album :rant: :censored:.

Really the more I listen to those awful unforgivable crossover radio-friendly "New Mixes", the more I see how far they are from the original album concept :down: so they must be keeping out of POP. Songs like Discotheque or Gone were killed, literally, missing the substance and the heart of those songs :tsk:. Bono sounds like crap on those "New Mixes", while on the original album, Gone stands out as his best vocal performance of the whole album.

I really think POP just should be remastered, as their whole 80´s and 90´s catalog. NO MORE THAN THAT. And any "alternative Mix", B-side, outtake, single version, live version, etc, should be put onto a bonus disc.

Peace :wave:

antmccarthy said:
Bring Popmart back to Europe next summer. That would be great. We`ve had enough of U2 stripping down their live performances on the last 2 tours. Lets Get the lemon and the whole fucking circus back. U2 are the only band in the world who can do it.

Forget the echo ridden stadiums and arenas. Get back to the outdoor natural arenas. Leeds-Roundhay Park, Knebworth, Loch Lomond, Slane castle.

heres to bringing back Pop and Popmart

I don't think a 500 square feet LED screen can be called stripping down, but I see you point:wink:

I pray to God that they don't re-release Pop. It's my fave U2 album and despite the fact that some songs obviously could have been recorded better....I wish they would just forget about it. I'd rather see new material and a new album.

I just don't think pop should be messed with any more than it already has.

I must say that I don't agree with everything the writer of the article coz for the most part, I actually like Pop. The only two songs that I think really could do with an entire overhaul is Playboy Mansion and Wake up Dead Man. Although I do agree that the single version of Please is better than the one off the album. But otherwise I love the originals of Discotheque, Mofo, Do you feel loved, etc. and especially Velvet Dress is perfect just as it is, in my humble opinion!!:cute:

Re-doing and/or re-mastering Pop is an interesting idea... however the whole concept of touring behind an album like that is atrocious.

I would be more than excited for U2 to touch Pop up, because at the end of the day, I'd still have the original as a reference point. The original will never go away. It is a piece of art, it is copyrighted, it is in analog and digital formats and it will never go away. So bring on a redone version of the album so that we can compare, contrast, exhault and bitch about it.

But if they EVER do a Popmart Version 2, I will go, but I will not be totally into the idea.

POP really is one of my favorite U2 albums to be honest. I would love too see a remake off the album or at least give us a DVD with the old POPmart concert at Mexico city on it!

Please!

POP

Very interesting to here those views.

I would also be interested to hear your running order HTDATB or any others. I would say HTDATB order is the best there could have done with and All that you cant... could have been done a lot better. (all opinions)

I personally dont think there should re-recorded this album athough agree would sound better if reworked.

U2 need to continue to make new music and strive forward with ideas because thats the type of band there are. Any u2 fan and the band themselves know there made mistakes on this record but "Pop" was recorded in 1997 and the world has changed dramatically since then.
There would never be able to recreated the mood in the studio of those sessions no matter who was invited.

I ask the question to oasis fans would you want them to re-recorded "Be Here Now". I an oasis fan myself would say no, because thats was there creative output in 1997 and you cannot recreated past feelings.

Very good and well written piece though. I do agree with you on your points especially "wake up dead man" which is brillaint live, but very average on the record.

Starting another thread though was about re-recording "october"
or which album would fans like re-recorded.

I like the album pretty much as it is. I've never bought the band's line that "If only we'd had one more month...."

It's bullshit. They had 5 years to come up with better ideas for the best of set, and they're a wash at best and worse in at least 2 cases.

Discoteque is absolutely ruined.

Staring At The Sun can't decide if it wants to be the album version or the live Everly Brothers version...it's not bad, but it's not better. It sounds half baked.

Gone could have been good, but with Bono's incredibly weak new vocal, I find it completely unlistenable. Even with a good vocal, I fail to see how it's better. It's different, but the orginal was a great too.

I love Miami. And I happen to think it was a highlight of the Popmart tour. The sparse music is perfect. It's the sparse music that puts the lyrics up front. It's a stroll through the city (with a little miami vice tossed in for good measure) and it works for me.

Please was better live (mostly because of Edge's guitar solo), and the single version captures that, but if we're talking about how versions got better when done live, shouldn't they go back and redo UF, since Bad and A Sort Of Homecoming were WAY better live. And the album version of Please is a better take on that song than the album version of Bad was of it.

As for Wake Up Deadman, the reason it was anti-climactic, is they never played it full band, AFAIK, and they certainly never played it full band. As it was performed on Popmart, it was a coda to the show. It wasn't supposed to be a climax.

As for albums with the correct running order, I'm happy with AB, Zooropa, JT and Pop. The latest album suffers from having One Step Closer on it, along with the fact that they left the best song off the album.

Frankly, I'm far happier with their realization of Pop than ATYCLB, which worked really well live, but is rather blah on the album (in all but a handful of cases).

I do agree that the album, as it stands now, could've been better. But I'm not a hater. I listen to it, but mainly with my own reinstated "single versions" and one of the "best of" versions ("Gone" ...I love the reworking, though Bono's voice is a bit weak). I also am piqued by your track listing. I think I'll give it a spin when I get home.

I also like the Jools Holland/ Bono remake of "If You Wear That Velvet Dress." I used to have it on my computer, but can't seem to find it anymore. Does anyone else have it and could possibly send it to me?

filmfanatic@gmail.com

Oh well, off to class now. Adios :wave:

I burned this version, and I had it playing 4 a while.... slightly altered (single versions, etc.) but it just seemed like it could b improved. This is what I've done now... try it out:

1. Pop Muzik (Radio edit)
2. Mofo (Phunkforce Mix)
3. Last Night on Earth (Single)
4. Do You Feel Loved
5. If God Will Send His Angels
6. Please (Single Strings Version)
7. Gone (Mike Hedges Mix)
8. Staring At The Sun (Mike Hedges Mix)
9. Miami
10.Discotheque (Mike Hedges Mix)
11.Holy Joe (Garage Mix)
12.The Playboy Mansion
13.Wake Up Dead Man
14.If You Wear That Velvet Dress (Jools Holland Version)

I know, I miss the "Boom-Cha's" on the original discotheque, and it seems like sacrilege to break up Playboy and Velvet Dress, when they segue right in2 one another, and NOT ending with Dead Man seems strange at first, but the "Big-Band" sound of Jools Holland's version DOES work at the end. It's almost like a triumphant ending 2 a great opera piece or something. I was REALLY inspired by the spirit of the Popmart Tour in selecting the flow of the songs, and I hope U like it as much as I do. Let me know. :|

kcrays said:

Please was better live (mostly because of Edge's guitar solo), and the single version captures that, but if we're talking about how versions got better when done live, shouldn't they go back and redo UF, since Bad and A Sort Of Homecoming were WAY better live. And the album version of Please is a better take on that song than the album version of Bad was of it.
ABSOLUTELY
I aggree with all of your post, but mainly the point you made that I highlighted.
The same could be said about most albums!
There is no reason to re-record Pop, it's a great album the way it is.
Cheers

I think that if they do re-work Pop, they should release it a few months before their next album. Then they could do a new tour that would incorporate songs from both of them. Like how Zooropa was incorporated into ZooTV.

Back
Top Bottom