Love or Hate or Else: On ‘Bomb’-bashing and Bonophobia*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
[SIMG]http://bonovox.interference.com/reviews/httadbcover-sml.jpg[/SIMG]
By Andy Smith

With a tour and the release of an album with U2’s most pretentious and ambitious title yet, the critical sport of Bonophobia has come back to center stage. Without blaming the bashers, can discerning fans discover what truly motivates some to blast the band with such blunt bile?

What do we make of how this record is either panned or praised, lashed or lauded? Is doing an iPod promotion—and not taking the money—really the root of all rock 'n' roll evil? What about the crass capitalistic side of the Vertigo Tour and all the ticket-brokers who make Bono's evil huckster preacher peeling off those dollar bills in "Bullet the Blue Sky" seem more saintly?

I must confess that the easiest out for the loyal fan is something simplistic, something like, "They hate U2 because the band's popular." It's sort of the pop culture version of "They hate us because we're free" and other illogical explanations for the September 11th attacks.

Serious fandom is a dangerous habit and love for a frontman like Bono can lead to frequent betrayals. The singer himself has said that "grace trumps karma" and if it didn't, he'd be in serious trouble. Isn't part of our problem the monastic pedestal we place our beloved Bono on? Don't we want him to be the Bono we always loved or remembered from our favorite band moment, whether it's a punk with a mullet in ripped jeans waving a white flag or a bespectacled badass icon mocking his own spectacle?

Since my serious Bonophilia was born of the 1984-87 period, I thought I'd left my youthful U2-opian obsessions behind. And it was easy to say that I knew the band in theaters, as truly "alternative," as outsiders looking in. I could lay righteous claim to having tasted the fire when it was pure propane, before it became mere digital copy. Yes, like so many after "Rattle and Hum," I went from faithful Bonophile to fed-up Bonophobe.
But in 2001, I started to come back into the family "All That You Can’t Leave Behind" led me to leave behind many cynical doubts about my spiritual connection to this band and this singer. "Elevation," "Beautiful Day," "Walk On," and "Kite" remain all-time favorites today. I was ready to join the faithful fan community again.

But then 9/11 came, as did U2’'s Super Bowl set. I never thought that the White Flag would be replaced with the American flag. Suddenly, it actually looked like the "pragmatic" Bono was going pro-war.

But weary of such wasted rage by 2004, I was all-too-ready to forgive the prodigal Hewson when the "Bomb" got dropped in my car stereo in late November.

Now, I've come back home again to my first love, my obsession, my rock 'n' roll religion. This album is why I'm writing again for the fan community (I did U2 'zines in the '80s before the internet), why I have replaced my old, lost vinyl and cassette collection with CDs, why I've been reading about the band and meditating on its message obsessively, getting ready for seeing U2 on tour with feelings I haven't had for 18 years in the days before "Joshua Tree" opened in Arizona (when Bono was getting death threats), and I was there.

This week, I read a sampling of the 711 reviews of the "Bomb" on GoldLyrics.com. The sincerity and severity in the anti-Bono sentiment shocked me with the awful possibility that I'm just a dupe for the devil in angel's clothes (especially since my political beliefs see some of the inherent hypocrisy in the album-tour-Hall of Fame-hype).

httadbcover.jpg

One negative review from a fan in Germany captures the scent and sentiment of so many, "When I look at U2 I see dollars, I see commercials, I see lies, I see sold out men, I see drinks, I see fishing, I see mainstream, I see arrogance, I see rented songs and sounds, I see emptiness, I see rubbish, I see forgotten honesty, I see entertainment, I see iPod, I see fake interviews and news, I see discrimination, I see George Bush, I see disappointment, I see alienation, I see spitting, I see stupidity, I see greed, I see rotten downing era, I see materialism, I see marketing, I see stores, I see Rolling Stone, I see Grammy Awards, I see over-production, I see falsity, I see cockies, I see tricks, I see factory...I see nothing from the U2 I loved."

I think we're better fans if we see the truth in this sense of betrayal. But past the blogging punditocracy pretentiously blasting Bono's pretensions, I think that this record is real and that these boys are back. Actually, in catching up with the valid and visionary experiments of "Pop" and "Zooropa," I realize they never left.

Frankly, a part of all of us wants to agree with the cynical posts and threads and spend the millions or more we'll collectively spend on U2 this year on something else, even on one of the band's celebrated causes. But the emotional impact of the "Bomb" reveals a very different feeling, something proud, something eerie and ethereal, something we can't shake.

I'd really, truly, wholly, completely given up on this band years ago after being a "Joshua Tree"-era Bonophilic freak. But the last two records prove me a fan with each listen. I'm still having a "Beautiful Day," "Kite" still makes me cry, and I've forgiven many of Bono's sins of ego and greed and becoming the system he was supposed to destroy. How do we relate to the new record? I think at least 80 percent of the songs do for me what "The Joshua Tree" did—take me to the higher ground of "One Tree Hill" just outside the "City of Blinding Lights," "Where the Streets Have No Name" and freedom has the scent like the top of my newborn baby's head.

When I flipped over "War" at 17, I was a card-carrying Christian and a wannabe Bono preacher. Today, I'm much more eclectic, pantheistic, and ecumenical, but Jesus remains in my pantheon (it's just the hardcore fundamentalists that make me queasy). On this record, I like the return to anti-war themes linked to utopian and mystical spirituality. As a dad with a pre-teen daughter, "Original of the Species" makes me want to cry almost every time.

Now, this is the "Bomb" that keeps on dropping, on my heart and in my brain, climbing into my play list when I look the other way. This is love without limits. Sometimes we can't make it on my own.

Last edited:
:applaud:

For all the negatives that people can come up with about U2 and Bono, there are SO MANY MORE POSITIVES!

Our willingness to be so critical of this group reveals more about our own inner selves than it revals anything about U2.

When you are personally having a "Beautiful Day" or positive life, you see things optimistically.

When you are "Stuck in a Moment" and you can't seem to get out of it, your view on life sours, even towards the men who have given you these beautiful songs to uplift you out of your stuck moments.

I thank you, Andy, for this article - it is one that I have wanted to write since last summer, but have kept quiet on it so as not to become an easy target to the naysayers.

You will accept U2 for who they are - without trying to change them - when you are able to accept yourself and others for who they are.

Simple Truth.

U2 has always stood for tolerance, forgiveness, Joy and Love and unity - for ONEness.

Unless we can do better to change the world for Good than U2, I think we leave them alone and finds more ways to make our own lives full of tolerance, forgiveness, Joy and Love and unity.

IN THE NAME OF LOVE....:adam: :larry: :edge: :hug: :bono: :love:

Thank you so much for that.

I've decided that I can't blame this band, or Bono in particular, for making mistakes, being hypocritical and not living up to every one of my expectations. I can't blame them for these things because these are things that I'm not innocent of in my own life. My flaws are simply displayed on a smaller scale to a much less interested audience. I get the Bonophobia. I am sometimes embarrased of things I hear or see from this band, but not as often as I'm astounded. It's also occured to me that perhaps I'm just being duped along with the rest of the fans. All I know is that the music makes me feel good. It touches me deeper than any music ever has before and I can't believe that the hopefullness it makes me feel could possibly come from a disingenuous place. Regardless of what gets stirred up around it. If it does, than the band at least deserves my respect for duping me so thoroughly.

They make music like no one else. And sometimes the slip because they're human. Everyone is guilty of it (Lennon with the "bigger than Jesus" comment). But for a band that could eat up everything they wanted with their cash, they still make the effort to write honest, personal music and self-deprecating lyrics. I believe in Bono and I believe that more people should. He gets good things done and he allows us to believe in something.
I take the American flag at the Super Bowl as U2's way of telling America that it wasn't alone and that it was believed in. Many musicians have come out and said that they have never seen a more moving tribute before. Why is it taken negatively?

See, I just don't get so much of this stuff. I am not trying to create an arguement, I just honestly don't get it.

What exactly are the "sins of ego and greed" that you talk of in reference to Bono? How has he "become the system he was supposed to destroy"?

People bandy this stuff around all the time, but I don't know what they are talking about.

Is it because he has lots of money now? Because he now campaigns "officially" with DATA? Meets with the Pope?

Why is it exactly about these things are so offensive to people?

This is a serious question. I would like to understand this.

Imogen, that makes two of us!

99% of the time when Bono (or for that matter any of U2) says something that is howled down by the thousands I think to myself "He was joking! He was sending himself up! Why don't they get it?"

If compared to a business, the band members are the CEO's of a corporation, they would be considered Olympian's if they were athletes and from that point of view the things they do/say would probably be considered normal.

I guess what is not normal for U2 is that they are big rock stars who continually campaign for causes that are important to them. While other rock stars do, U2 are the ones who are more "in your face" than anybody else.

We do not have to listen or do anything about what they say, just like we don't have to listen to their music if we don't like it, but U2 are savy enough to use the media, their position and any means they can to get their point across. Why is this any different from any other "campaign"?

I think this article is rubbish. I don't care if someone feels U2 or Bono betrayed them. That's his/her issue. It's not my fault some fans wanted to place U2 or Bono in some little "box" and as soon as Bono (or U2) ventured from that safe, oh-so-tiny, world, that some fans felt betrayed. That's something they have to reconcile within themselves. What exactly did U2 "do wrong" to merit this feeling of betrayal? Did they dare to change? Did they dare to create even better music? Did they dare to mock? Or did the fans themselves change too much to enjoy U2?

As for me, I never felt betrayed by Bono or U2.

Was I surprised by some of the changes? Of course! Was I annoyed at some of Bono's rantings or egotistical comments over the years? And how! But I never felt betrayed by U2.

Some of these fans - the author of the above article included - seemed to want U2 to "stay the same". And the trouble with staying the same is that one no longer is relevant. Had U2 done anything but AB in 1991, I highly doubt we'd have a U2 today. Had U2 played the safe route and produced another JT-sounding album, I'm sure it would have sold reasonably well... but would we even remember it now? Would we care?

The music U2 produced in the 90's and 00's has been brilliant. Trouble is, U2 aren't 25/26-year old men any more (as they were when JT was released). A teenager can relate to a 26 year old man - he can't relate to 45 year old man. So U2 needed new ways to market themselves. Just producing brilliant music isn't enough any more.

So if people are annoyed by how U2 markets themselves - too bad. That's THEIR problem - it's THEIR issue. This does not, however, negate how strong an album is. To say that HTDAAB is crap because U2 did an iPod commercial - where they not only brilliantly advertised their music, but also the new technology - is incredibly ignorant.

The sad thing is, I've never been betrayed by U2. However, I have felt betrayed by U2 fans... many times.

Last edited:
doctorwho said:
However, I have felt betrayed by U2 fans... many times.
I must admit that I feel a little betrayed by the U2 fan/author of this article for inserting his political and spiritual biases into the subject matter by seeming to attack conservatives for having "illogical" 9/11 explanations and fundamentalist Christians for making him "queasy".

TheFirstBigW said:

I must admit that I feel a little betrayed by the U2 fan/author of this article for inserting his political and spiritual biases into the subject matter by seeming to attack conservatives for having "illogical" 9/11 explanations and fundamentalist Christians for making him "queasy".

And these are similar to the same people that Bono was referring to that gives him the rash. C'mon he just said he doesnt do God.

By the way, nice post there Dr. Who. Agree with you 100% !!

These U2 fans who vascilate between idolizing and denigrating U2 freak me out. So the author likes Bono right now. Next year U2 will put out the "wrong" single or Bono will say the "wrong" thing and he'll hate him again.
Weirdo.

I Love the New Album , I think its Awesome and the more you
Listen to it , the Better it is , All U2 Songs are that way , When
you Think you Remember it a Certain way , you here it again
and i find it mystical , the way you can hear it again in another
way.

I used to get mad at some Comments about HTDAAB
some people just focus on the minor things in Life and not
Whats important in Life, Having Fun , Relationships , Sports ,
Drinking , Ski racing , Style , Clothing ,Etc

If U2 Did not change all the time , they just would not be U2.
They are as original Now as they were when the War Album Came out.

Whats Really Amazing is the Certainty that U2 has created in its
Music over the years, and the Fact that the Fans Never Want to
Let Go of that Feeling, You Never Really Have to , All you Have to
Do is Put in a Zooropa Album and Drive Your Car Somewhere
or Listen to it over Red Wine at a Chalet. The Feeling of their
Music Hits you all time in all the Right Areas.

In life you have to grow , Like a Tree , U2 Has Done that in Music

The fact that U2 put their Bible bashing aside during the nineties seems to make some fans nervous, but the operatic melancholy they got into some of their music at this time has never been equalled (Lemon, Mofo, Stay -for starters). And even if they HAD "switched sides", who cares? Music should be interesting above all else, and Jesus should be left out of it.

As for Bono....a man who has enjoyed adulation, wealth and success for almost all of his adult life is bound to be a bit more naive than most- to overestimate his own influence on the world- so I give him the benefit of the doubt...... most of the time

Wow I met you in San Jose!

hey, cool article. You mentioned something about this website at the Sat show(while waiting for Bono) and so I thought I'd check it out, and saw a thread(or story I guess) you'd posted so I thought I'd say hi. You probably don't remember me, this is Kate, the one who left with Brenna before Bono came. Anyway, hi, hope you actually read this. Email me if you'd like: charlottesometimes_64@yahoo.com

mistahpaul said:
The fact that U2 put their Bible bashing aside during the nineties seems to make some fans nervous, but the operatic melancholy they got into some of their music at this time has never been equalled (Lemon, Mofo, Stay -for starters). And even if they HAD "switched sides", who cares? Music should be interesting above all else, and Jesus should be left out of it.

As for Bono....a man who has enjoyed adulation, wealth and success for almost all of his adult life is bound to be a bit more naive than most- to overestimate his own influence on the world- so I give him the benefit of the doubt...... most of the time

If Bono wants to reference Jesus (be it via "Wake Up Dead Man" or "Miracle Drug") I say it's his business.

I like the passion of the article but I don't agree with it. I have never lost my love for U2 or Bono even after the PR disaster (and yes that's what it was) that was "Rattle and Hum". And I am not talking about the music, I'm talking about the movie RAH. In that movie, U2 came across to the average Joe as arrogant and holy-than-thou - two things they certainly are not. If you look back in history, every big time musical group/musician has made a similar mistake.

What makes U2 so special is their willingness to push and push and push the jagged edge even if they go over it. It is their willingness to fail that makes U2 the greatest musical act of all-time. They fail, they learn and then they bounce back.. usually in a very big way.

After RAH came the unbelievable Achtung Baby and then the awesome Zoo TV tour. After "Pop" got a lot of (unwarranted IMO)negative reviews, then came the awesome extravegance of the Popmart Tour. After the media had left them for dead in the late 90's, they responded with the beautiful ATYCLB and then reaffirmed themselves as great musicians in the terrific Elevation Tour. This is why I love U2. They don't fear failure even if that "failure" is contrived by the media. Instead they seem to thrive in its wake like no musical act ever has.

Ignoring the fact that there is a business side to music does an injustice to any musician. The Ipod controversy here is a perfect example. U2 gets little airplay in the U.S. on MTV these days. The IPod commercial was a great way to get exposure to a younger audience that have little or no idea what U2 is all about. For U2, that commercial was not about money, it was about reaching out to the younger fan. That "Vertigo" went to #2 here in hip-hop-land is a testament to the success of the strategy.

If some people felt that Bono let them down or betrayed them, then I feel sorry for them. U2 is simply 4 human beings amking human mistakes like every single one of us do. They are not gods and they are not perfect. U2's experimentation in the 90's was one of the wildest rides in the history of music. And if you missed it, you missed something special - something that can only be felt in the moment and cannot be relived now to the degree it was felt then.

And one more point that was touched on here - religion. If you are offended in any way about politics or religion then maybe you have chosen the wrong band to be a fan of. In the USA it is taboo to discuss religion and politics with friends but in Ireland, it's ALL people talk about. U2 never has and never will be shy about making their opinions known to the world. I don't agree with everything they've stood for over the years, but I respect their right to hold those opinions and I respect even more the courage they've shown in some cases to make their opinions and stances known and to fight for their causes. Music with a message is an inherant part of U2. It is a big reason why their music is so powerful and so great. Remove the message from their music and you rip the heart out of the band.

Last edited:
I must admit as a younger fan that I just like U2 to go out and play their songs. I do find Bono's rants- however well-intentioned they may be-to be judgemental and somewhat embarassing.

Back
Top Bottom