Experience: U2 on 'Top of the Pops'*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
By Andrew Fletcher

Oh my God, I really don't know what else to say. I've been brought up better than to commit blasphemy but I think on certain occasions it might just be appropriate. I don't know if I should have waited longer before writing this account, then I might be able to actually string a coherent sentence together. I am also aware that for a heterosexual male I might sound a bit gooey (all gooeyness should be left to the PLEBA girls, I know) but, sorry, sometimes that's the affect these things have. I know also that you don't want my personal details but, hey, you are going to get them anyway.

On Wednesday, after I had gone longer than usual without checking Interference, I saw the relevant article announcing U2.com’s giveaway of tickets to U2’s appearance on “Top of the Pops” (I have to confess that I don't check U2.com very often). Right, I thought, my mother always taught me you don't get anywhere without trying so what did have to lose by entering. I hadn't watched “Top of the Pops” for years so when I was asked to name the current presenters I had to thoroughly research it, even having some difficulty using various search engines and, as a result, missed the first couple of minutes of the final debate. Then I thought how nice it would be if I actually won but thought in a British sort of way that there was no chance that I would.

A little before 9 o'clock Thursday night I got an e-mail informing me that I was one of the 75 lucky winners. I had been under the impression that any winners would be informed by the afternoon so had spent part of the day a little disappointed but planned to go down to the studio anyway, thinking that, at the very least, I would see more there than I would sat in front of a television set. As a result, I didn't actually check my e-mails until nearly midnight but, when I did, one of my housemates said that it was the first time he had ever seen my little face truly light up. We were promised a performance with two songs but one would have been more than enough for me. After that I decided to look through the usual suspects on the Net to try and find out all I could about the taping but all I really saw was Devlin asking anyone if they'd like to write an article about it for Interference.com so I emailed her and explained that I'd been very lucky but that it would be an honor to write for Interference.com, then I went to bed.

This wasn't an entirely successful venture. I would by lying if I said I had got much sleep, it was very much akin to the night before Christmas when you were a kid. I've been desperate to see U2 live again after the Elevation tour left London in Aug. 2001 (I've kicked myself constantly over not getting tickets for Glasgow) but I thought that I would have to wait until next June for another chance to see the band perform and, suddenly, I was seeing U2 tomorrow.

Then I got up and hoped that my Vertigo T-shirt had finally arrived so that I could wear it in case I was on the TV, but it hadn't (if U2.com and Fan Fare don't want free publicity it's no skin off of my nose). My housemate and I drove down to London, this, apart from the weather, was fairly uneventful, but then we had to get on the Tube. I have used the Tube many, many times and problems have been few and far between. The last time I had a major problem was on the way to Elevation when it sat outside of Earl's Court station for over 30 minutes and I nearly had a seizure. Today it was slow and I had a real sense of déjà vu. In the end we arrived with plenty of time to spare but no one at Television Centre seemed to have a clue what was going on and we had to argue with less than helpful officials who seemed to just want us to go away. However, by retaining a healthy skepticism and ignoring them, we got in, and by not declaring all metal items about my person, I also managed to get my camera in.

It was only once we were inside that we realized how truly fortunate we were. There were people everywhere, hundreds outside the gate along with just about every employee the BBC must have scattered about the car park. We, however, were just going to walk straight up to the stage and stand no more than about five or 10 feet away from where the equipment had been set up. There was a fairly lengthy sound check and I got talking to the very friendly guy next to me who said that he had met Willie Williams, U2’s production designer, earlier in the day and learned that the North American tour will be a mixture of arenas and stadiums and that Europe will be outdoor shows only. There will also be a lot fewer dates than Elevation. Williams also said that nothing has yet been confirmed with regards to venues and dates. It was difficult not to notice that although the U2.com competition was only open to 16- to 21-year-olds (and I'm only three months from the latter of those two ages), I certainly didn't look like the oldest guy there, not that there's anything wrong with that, I'm not judging

Soon the band came out onto the stage getting exactly the type of reception you would expect. I had prepared myself to be surprised by how old the guys looked, as I was by The Offspring over the summer, but, Adam, apart the guys probably looked as young as they did four years ago. Adam still looks like the King of Cool, though. Bono made a comment about the Beeb creating some rain for them and then the band went into the rehearsal for “Vertigo.” There was plenty of singing, jumping and photos taken during this. They said they wanted to do another and then they went into the absolute public world premiere of “All Because Of You.” The lyrics are heartfelt and, as far as Bono is concerned, self-deprecating, something about talking all the time whether anybody wanted to listen or not. There was then some muttering and another song that we weren't initially sure what it was. I had a successful guess at “City of Blinding Lights” because someone had compared it to “Streets” earlier in the week. I have to say on initial listen this is a very, very good song. The band then finished up and said that they'd be back out in a bit.

So then we went away and heard bits and pieces of sound come out from the main recording of the show . At about 10 to 8, U2 was back on. This time Bono noticed the “Dr. Who” phone box that, for whatever reason, was just at the back of the audience. He kept saying “exterminate, exterminate” until the band was about to go to air, then remarked, "Exterminate pop music" and went into “Vertigo” again. After the song had been done, including a little tribute to the BBC, he went off singing, "It's good to be back, it's good to be back." That's where I'm pretty sure the actual feed to air ended and the band seemed to relax a little. Midway through the song Bono came out into the audience and the resultant rush pushed me further forward. Although all I could actually see was him disappearing, it was nice to know I was only a couple of feet from the action. Next the band went into “All Because of You” again. Then Bono did a bit more talking and someone said something about doing another. Bono went to check this with The Edge, someone then tried to stop them and then The Edge quipped that it had been just a rumor. During this time suddenly Adam became the focus for audience shout-outs, which he seemed quite amused by.

Next up was “Desire.” This sounded as good as ever and interestingly was full electric rather than acoustic, maybe a sign of things to come for the tour. The whole evening was a highlight but next up was something that, as a younger fan, I thought that I would never get the opportunity to experience—”She's a Mystery to Me.” This was a full version and is not exactly an easy song to sing but, despite others having some concerns about his voice, Bono did do incredibly well with this song. In fairness I think he only missed one note all night. He also did a terrific impression of Roy Orbison.

This time for “City of Blinding Lights” we got a much more detailed introduction that was very touching. Bono said the song was about being young in big cities like London and New York, but especially about looking out on a New York audience after 9/11. If I had to guess, I bet that this is the second single released in the United States and probably the third in the rest of the world. It is a very good song. The band then performed the song again before saying see you in the summer and thanks for coming out.

As a younger fan I've missed out on a lot of the bands key moments, moments that I would give anything to see, but I can definitely say that I had a front row seat for what I think, even from a purely objective perspective, was one of the biggest moments for U2. To be the first of the great unwashed to hear “Vertigo” performed live and hear “City of Blinding Lights” and “All Because of You” live even before the album versions have been heard by the general public was a unique honor. I'd like to thank Interference.com, without whom I wouldn't have noticed the competition, and say that if anyone has any spare tickets for any U2 event over the next couple of months, they have to give me first refusal. This experience whet an appetite that really didn't need any encouragement.

Back
Top Bottom