Experience : The Meteor Awards *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

salomeU2000

The Fly
By Suze

[SIMG]http://bonovox.interference.com/news/mimau2thumb.jpg[/SIMG]

The Meteor Awards is one of Ireland?s biggest events every year. Most awards are to award Irish groups and musicians, but there are a few International nominations as well.

I was really looking forward to this. Since I work in media now it?s gotten really easy to get VIP tickets. I brought along my friend Sara, because I knew she?d appreciate it, as a huge U2 fan herself, and we already knew that Bono was going to be attending.

Dara O?Brian, a great presenter and comedian, hosted the show. He really kept us entertained throughout the show. He was making awkward comments, but somehow they always turned out to be funny and everyone was literally rolling on the floor.

The greatest thing for me was that I saw so many great performances live, that I would have never dreamt of. Tom Jones singing Black Betty, the man is well over 60, but still in great form and a true showman. Bob Geldof? I don?t think I need to say more. The man is a legend. Westlife? not a fan, but I like their songs, really catchy. Simply Red was there with their new single. Excellent. Alabama 3, it was great to hear the theme song from The Sopranos live. The Thrills were there which are quickly becoming Ireland?s next biggest export. And Paul Coulter? oh, how I love him. Sinead O?Connor and Brian Kennedy joined him on stage. Kennedy?s performance of ?Remember Me? brought tears into my eyes.

The presenters of the awards deserve to be mentioned as well. Among them were director Stephen Rea, actors Colin Farrell and Patrick Bergin, singers Jim Corr of the Coors, Bono, of course, of U2, Chris ?Jackass? Pontius, Lady Victoria Hervey, Nathan Roberts (winner of Model Behaviour) and Colm Meaney.

Bono received the Humanitarian Award on the night. He graciously accepted the award, thanking his wife Ali and the kids and the band for being so patient and supportive, mentally, physically and financially. As part of his award, he received 100,000E to give to a charity of his choice. He's chosen Concern and Goal (two different charities), adding that ?this amount of money is 275 years worth of salary for people? whom he represents and is giving the amount to (in Africa, mostly). He got a message from Nelson Mandela ?we are after all one big, global family with one love, one life to carry each other? (written message) read by Colin Farrell who presented the award, also got a video message from Bill Clinton. Well said by Bob Geldof, that, ?Bono wasn?t the one who convinced Bush to give $ 12 billion to overseas aids, Bono didn?t do it, but he was a major influence.? He also intimated that it is correct to talk to politicians using his celebrity status.

mimau2.jpg

U2 also won Best Irish Group Award. Edge started the speech by saying that at this stage, he can say that he?s ?spent half of his life in the band, but it feels a lot longer than that,? but Bono interrupted him by saying: ?Edge, you have no time to get emotional now.? Edge just laughed and said: ?Yeah, I?m tired and emotional tonight.? Then Larry invited everyone over for a cuppa to his Killiney home, the cheeky. He actually said that he?d like to grab the opportunity to offer an open invitation on his side of the town, at his (pressing the word) KILLINEY home. The funny monkey he is. Howth is North side and Killiney is South side. Geddit? There?s always been this endless picking on one other which side they actually live on. South side is supposed to be the ?POSH? side.

Also Bono presented Bob Geldof with Lifetime Achievement Award: ?I consider myself as friend, but much more than that I will always be his fan. The heart of his songs is one single idea: Life is not cheap; it?s expensive.? and then was casually sitting on the stairs while Geldof played ?Rat Trap.? Accepting the award, Geldof also cracked a few jokes about Southsiders and Northsiders

There was a very funny moment when they were showing the nominees for Best Group. Bono was just sitting there, staring at the screen, watching all the other nominees; they were last to be shown. His face lit up and he started cheering like a madman!

After the awards ceremony, we attended the afterparty where we partied with your man from Jackass, Tom Jones, Westlife, Chad Smith from the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Mickey Hart and Simon Casey, Bob Geldof, BP Fallon, and Phil Coulter.

A night I?ll always remember.

Copyright ? 2003 by Suze for Interference.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom