Experience: Peter & The Wolf Auction *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
[SIMG]http://www.richvideo.co.uk/bono/bonopages/Lisanne/bono10.jpg[/SIMG]
By Lisanne Lawless

Friday November 21st finally arrives, the night my sister Wendy and I would attend the ?Peter & The Wolf? auction at Christie?s in New York City. We arrive in the city by 5, our invitation is for cocktails at 6, auction at 8. Security is pretty tight in front of the auction house, they don't want people gathering on the sidewalk so they suggest we come back at 6. I wonder if Bono is going to be there so am too excited to eat, instead we mull around for a while, taking a look at the Christmas tree at Rockefeller Center preparing to be decorated and the holiday windows.

Finally it's 6. Those of us on the guest list are instructed to line up, we do as we are told and finally go inside, past the media area. Still I wonder, would Bono be there? I hope he will. Ugly lobby, but the addition of a beautiful photo of Bono painting a wolf makes it much cozier. Down a narrow hallway is another photo of Bono painting. We head down that hall into a large angular room where all 16 ?Peter & The Wolf? paintings hang. We quickly get a cocktail, need to calm the nerves. We view all the paintings--I really enjoy seeing ?Baked Bean Boy? up close and personal. I notice the paintings are kind of torn in the corners under the glass and frames.

Wendy and I then decided lets see who is at the auction. As we leave the large room we noticed a crowd gathering outside a little frenzy--Gavin Friday. He meets and greets some of the people inside but you can tell he is trying to make his way to the cocktails. We look around don't recognize anyone else so we have another cocktail and mull around a bit more. Books, T-shirts and reprints of Bono?s art are for sale, all to benefit the Irish Hospice Foundation. We make our way to Gavin and say hello, each getting a kiss on the cheek. He's sweet.

gavin3.jpg

We decide to go back to the lobby area and see Paul McGuiness talking with several people. Now a big frenzy starts outside. I see Guggi, then Ali and, of course, her husband. Bono stops and speaks to the media. He makes his way into the building, it is very crowded at this point but he doesn't seem to mind. We say hi to him and he reaches out and touches me and my sister, so we follow him. He makes his way through the crowd stopping to talk to people. He gets to the elevator but security won't let us go with him, oh well.

bono5.jpg

Now it?s auction time so we head into a large auditorium and receive a number card to bid with. We are seated in front but up behind us is a room with glass windows and I can see Bono, Gavin, Ali and other VIPs in it. A woman from the Hospice Foundation is introduced and explains the project. She then introduces Gavin who is very funny, explaining that his friend is often referred to as "God," I clap and Gavin starts to laugh before referring to himself as the "devil." Bono is then introduced and explains his role in the project. He looks amazing, of course, and is very charming and entertains the crowd.

bono10.jpg

Bidding on the first painting soon begins. The auctioneer is very funny, and soon Gavin gets in on the action, offering his services to increase bids. When ?Baked Bean Boy,? Bono?s self-portrait, is offered bidding gets a bit crazy and in the end an older gentleman sitting two rows behind us offers $60,000 and wins the bidding, amazing. People start leaving and we decide to hang on as long as possible to catch Bono on the way out. We see Gavin and I ask him to sign my ?Peter & The Wolf? book, he is happy to sign. We are asked by security to wait in the lobby area because Bono is having dinner. While waiting we say hello to Moby and Elvis Costello.

bono3.jpg

We wait for about an hour then when Bono is about to come down, the head of Christie?s security decides we shouldn't be in the lobby, so he tries to get us to move outside and is very rude. Bono and Ali come up right behind him so we stop and Bono stops and says hello. I asked him to sign my book, "Of course sweetheart," he replies. My pen isn't working too well, I explain to him that I had been waiting with the cap off. ?Sorry,? I say, but he says, "Don't worry about it" and presses harder to sign. Bono chats with us while signing Wendy's book and those of two other girls who were waiting with us. He then heads out for the crowd that had formed and I think he signs autographs for everyone there before getting into his waiting car and leaving.

bono8lisanne.jpg

For more of Lisanne?s ?Peter & The Wolf? auction photos visit http://www.richvideo.co.uk/bono/bonopages/Lisanne/bonoNY.htm.

All photos courtesy Lisanne Lawless

Last edited:
Great story Lisanne. What a memorable evening you had...despite the security. Bono is such a gent. And your perserverance definitely paid off. Thanks for sharing it with us. Not all fans ever get an opportunity to attend such an event or more importantly to actually get to speak to Bono, so its really cool to learn of fans that have and who are so generous in sharing it with the legions of fans that cherish such moments.

Back
Top Bottom