Experience : Bono at the Liberal Convention in Toronto *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

salomeU2000

The Fly
[SIMG]http://bonovox.interference.com/experience/bonocanlibthumb.jpg [/SIMG]
by Kate McGrath

There was much speculation about Bono's trip to Canada to speak at the Liberal Convention Nov. 14. Why invite, as he calls himself, a "rock star with a Conscience" to the event? Paul Martin and his team may have had many reasons for extending an invitation to the rock star and, whatever they were, Bono upstaged the party leader 100 percent.

Bono arrived to give his speech to screams and whistles from Liberal supporters, some of whom were, admittedly, a little nervous about what Bono was about to say. They knew then that his speech would leave a lot to live up to and, true to form , it has. Bono looked a little nervous as he took the stage, a little uneasy standing in front of the crowd as he sipped what he called gin and tonic. It was without a doubt for me the best speech I have heard Bono give, and by the end of the night I am sure many Liberals were pouring tripe gin and tonics wondering, "What have we gotten ourselves into?" Too late to back peddle boys, the Canadian public was actively listening, we heard clearly the message and Bono's challenge to Canada, and we will be watching you.

bcanlibspeech.jpg

I hate to tell Bono but we saw no rock star with a conscience. What we saw was a man living up to his potential. A man who's genuine caring and deep felt belief in this cause transcends any perceived notions of why this rock star was invited to the Liberal Convention. Simply, though, a rock star was not invited, a humanitarian was, and we were humbled by his presence. We were given a look behind the trademark blue glasses into the heart of the man, and his passion for Africa. It was moving, it was challenging and it thankfully made Canada stand up and really take notice of the crisis.

Bono made it clear he was not a Liberal supporter or a supporter of any political party. The idealistic agenda that Bono set out for Canada may be harder than anyone thinks but not impossible. To meet it, we have to more than double our contribution to international development by increasing our aid from the 0.29 per cent of GDP that it now is to the 0.7 per cent level that the late former prime minister Lester Pearson recommended 30 years ago. Rest assured many of us here in Canada are right beside you on this Bono, we will be just as much of a pain in the ass to Paul Martin as you have promised to be.

Bono said, "I believe the world needs more Canada." How clear it is, too, that the world needs more people like Bono, hearing him speak and knowing all he has done, and continues to do, you cannot help but be humbled. So to every single armchair quarterback who has criticized his ego or wondered about Bono's agenda I have to ask, what have you done to make the world better today?

The people who are affected by this in Africa could not care at all about Bono the rock star, many of them do not even know who U2 are. In Africa they have never seen the "Bono the Rock Star" but they have found a hero. It is a strong word "hero" and Bono might not like it at all but it is fitting and well deserved.

bcanlibspeech2.jpg

To Bono himself I owe a personal debt of gratitude. Sir because of you the statistics became more then numbers, they became faces and people, the orphaned child became the face that needs their mother every bit as much as I still need mine. I give you my word, which in Canada still means something that I stand right beside you on this and will do everything I can. Many Canadians stand with me too, we will not let our government forget and we will not let them off the hook.

Thank you so very much Bono, not only did you open the eyes of many Canadians to the emergency in Africa but you also gave us a reminder of how proud we should be as Canadians, what it means to be Canadian and the difference Canada can make. We are nice, we are polite but we are fiercely loyal to causes we believe in and will fight to the death for what is right and just. We have a proud history of coming to the aid of those who truly need it, let this be then too a defining moment for Canada, let us set an example and lead the way not because Bono asked us to but because Africa needs us to. It will not just be on the shoulder of our politicians, it is also up to us the public, the NGOs, students, religious leaders, soccer moms and professionals to come together and stand up and make some noise--united we are much stronger then one group alone. We are our own nation, a country of great ideals and passionate people who have the strength to institute change.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bono at Liberal Convention

I too listened to Bono while stuck for 3 hours on the 401 due to a truck accident. I can say it made my night. I was so proud to be Canadian by the time he was done. I too am no real supporter of one party over the other but like Bono was glad he was there to challenge our incoming goverment leaders and to announce to the world that we as canadians can and hope to do more. Thank you bono for spurring us on and holding our government and our citizens accountable to who we are as Canadians and who we should be as global citizens.

My friend worked the backstage on Friday night and got to meet the man himself - some of you may be interested to know that Bono's still smoking and quickly huffed three bummed smokes after his speech was done. He was the perfect gentleman besides.

Great speech, great man.

Fingers crossed for a great album.

I have to admit that, with Bono's busy public speaking schedule, I have been nervously anticipating some bold declaration of his personal politics. So I was heartened to read that he "made it clear he was not a ... supporter of any political party." Or as another reader commented in a recent post, I "don't want U2 to bring to mind some political party." Any party. If Bono were to declare allegiance to the left or right, he immediately risk alienating the other side. And problems addressed by organizations such as DATA or War Child can only be resolved cooperatively. Bono appears to operate from the belief that partisan politics can and must be transcended. His real genious is for enrolling people from different backgrounds and politcal affiliations--conservative congressmen, liberal professors, the Pope etc.-- into his causes. He is able to tap into the money, support, resources, and political clout of many diverse leaders--not merely one group or another. Artists like the Dixie Chicks or Bruce Springsteen (who, according to a recent Rolling Stone article, exhorted his audience to cheer for Bush's impeachment) are certainly free to choose sides. But they will hardly get a dime towards whatever causes they champion from those people they condemn. Love is the answer, and you know that, for sure.:eyebrow:

Indeed Bono stays far away from any political affililiation which is great, a brilliant man in himself. His main goal at this speech is was I think to educate , inform an inspire, He know that you need to be non partisan and he is not fake about it . We know Bono is none partisan. His message was to Canadians

The responsibility falls not just on the shoulders of the politicians but on us, the voters oridnary citizens to take action and to do our part in turining the tide on this emergency.

Now it is our conscience that leads us away from the safety into doing what is morally right. We sit and through stones until the day our conscience tells us not one of us has the right to even throw a grit of sand let alone a pebble. Being global citizens, being morally responsible means taking action and taking responsibility for what we do.

If we believe in ? love thy neighbor? not as a religious ideal but as a guideline for humanity, then we shouldn?t be asking do they deserve our help, but how did we let this go so long and this point.

My admiriation for Bono is even greater, I don't know how he does it but I thank him . If there were only more like him we would certainly be in better shape.

Back
Top Bottom