Event Coverage: Bono Speaks at the ASAE Forum, Feb. 3, 2006*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
By Debbie Kreuser

Bono was the keynote speaker on Friday Feb. 3, 2006, at a forum sponsored by the American Society of Association Executives (ASAE). Called "The Future in Front of Us: Living a More Involved Life,” Bono's nearly hour-long speech focused on the issues dearest to his heart—Africa and music. These two issues would keep intertwining throughout Bono's remarks all night.

In typical Bono fashion, after a short introductory film about him, Bono thanked everyone for coming and exclaimed that this group was a "very different crowd" than the one he had spoken to at the same venue (the Washington Hilton hotel) the day before at the National Prayer Breakfast.

Bono started his speech by emphatically stating that "the power of rock 'n' roll should not be undersold." He talked about his longtime friend and fellow African activist, Bob Geldof ("the master of the expletive" as Bono called him). Bono mentioned the Live Aid concert and his and Ali's trip to Ethiopia in 1985 to volunteer in a refugee camp. He talked about how Ethiopia didn't just change his mind, it opened it.

Bono recalled his infamous meeting with the Ethiopian father who offered his son to Bono to take back to Ireland so that his son would have a chance to escape an uncertain future in the refugee camp. Bono revealed in a quiet, almost saddened, voice that what he felt inside when he had to refuse the man's request to sponsor his son (due to restraints placed upon Bono that were out of his control) was "a feeling I can't quite forget, turning down that man."

Bono went on to talk about the tremendously unnecessary loss of life in Africa due to AIDS and extreme poverty. He stressed to the audience that the world loses "a tsunami every month" of people in Africa due to these causes and yet there is little media coverage of it. He stated once again that this was not an issue of charity but one of justice. Bono boldly told the audience that this was the "straight truth, the righteous truth".

Bono emphatically talked about "the chasm between the scale of the [AIDS] emergency and the response.” He spoke about the ONE Campaign's call for the U.S. government to allocate one percent of the federal budget to end extreme poverty in the world. (currently the U.S. only allocates 0.125 percent of its federal budget to end extreme poverty). He asked us to consider this commitment of money as "an investment" "a bargain" for the United States, a way to "redescribe ourselves" to the poor of the world. Bono finished his remarks on this subject by enthusiastically stating that he is "in love with America."

Getting a bit more serious in tone, Bono pointedly told the audience that "power brings responsibility" to help those who are less fortunate. He asked the audience members to "join us" in the ONE Campaign. Possibly alluding to the civil rights movement and the recent loss of Coretta Scott King, Bono said that the movement to save Africa's future was "our freedom ride.” He closed his talk by once again directing our attention to "the wanton loss of life in Africa."

The Q&A portion of the night was particularly informative with a few very interesting moments. One of the first questions asked was who had been some of Bono's first inspirations in life. Bono immediately answered "The Clash" and spoke about the tremendously transformative power of punk rock music in society ("three chords and the truth" he said to the glee of the audience).

Bono ended his response to this question by stating that the future is "only limited by our imagination."

Next, a potentially compromising question was asked of Bono. The question revolved around if Bono ever felt like slapping one of these dodgy politicians in the face that he has to meet while advocating on behalf of DATA and ONE. With a chuckle in his voice, Bono simply replied "I'm sure that they've wanted to slap me."

Bono was asked questions like what was on his iPod (The Killers and Arcade Fire) and who were some of his personal heroes (Desmond Tutu, Nelson Mandela, Mikhail Gorbachev).

And then the highlight of the night. A question was read to Bono written by a 14-year-old student who stated that she wanted to bring the issues of ONE to her high school and wanted Bono's suggestions on how to do this.

Never the performer to lose a classic moment, Bono asked the girl to come out of the audience to join him onstage. To audience applause, the girl climbed upon the stage and nervously approached Bono. Bono took her hand and bent over to graciously kiss it.

He talked to her about the importance of debt cancellation and fair trade for Africa's future and how these were central issues of ONE. Then he asked her if she was ready to help make her school a ONE school. When she began to meander in her response to his question, Bono quizzically looked at her and pointedly asked her in a serious yet joking tone, "Are you telling me that you're too busy?" After chatting with Bono, the girl left the stage soon after.

It seemed a poignant way to end the night. Increasing numbers of people are coming to hear Bono speak on the issues closest to his heart (Africa and music). But ultimately it seems to me that this encounter between Bono and an obviously smitten young fan is an allegory for all of us.

Bono's speeches, while at times a bit repetitive, aren't there simply to be enjoyed but to motivate the listener into action on behalf of the world's poorest people.

And at a time when the fight to end AIDS and extreme poverty is at a standstill in terms of the money committed to end this crisis, Bono is trying to enlist ever increasing numbers of "soldiers" (volunteers) to fight this battle. The challenge to each one of us is when will you enlist.

From the urgency in Bono's voice and demeanor at this event and elsewhere, I think that I'm safe to say that he would appreciate us enlisting in his battle to end extreme poverty as soon as possible.

From beginning to end, it was another beautiful night sharing the heart and soul of this amazing man.

Last edited by a moderator:
:up: It was an excellent speech, Bono did an awesome job (could I expect anything less?). If only there were a way to get his message out to the average American...not the dedicated U2 fan, politician, or corporate sponsor. It's middle America the message he needs to reach, maybe if he continues the lecture circuit it'll get out there.

"Bono's speeches, while at times a bit repetitive, aren't there simply to be enjoyed but to motivate the listener into action on behalf of the world's poorest people.

And at a time when the fight to end AIDS and extreme poverty is at a standstill in terms of the money committed to end this crisis, Bono is trying to enlist ever increasing numbers of "soldiers" (volunteers) to fight this battle. The challenge to each one of us is when will you enlist.

From the urgency in Bono's voice and demeanor at this event and elsewhere, I think that I'm safe to say that he would appreciate us enlisting in his battle to end extreme poverty as soon as possible."

I think that this segment of the article really is at the heart of the issue.

I'm glad that you took the time to read the article, U2democrat.

It is actually the most comprehensive report that I have seen yet regarding Bono's night at the ASAE.

THREE CHORDS AND THE TRUTH....:bono: :heart: :heart: :hug:

LIV, can you find a more comprehensive report besides this one - whether I wrote it or not?

Your question doesn't address the statement that the press at large did a horrible job at reporting this event.

:tsk:

Bono at ASAE

Thank you for posting a report of the evening, particularly recounting my daughter's experience on stage with Bono. A gentleman from DATA even got Bono to autograph her program after the event, "reciprocating" the "I love you" that prefaced her question. :)

Your statement that she "soon after quickly left the stage" is not quite accurate (she was up there for at least another minute or two) and implies that she left in embarrassment to Bono's teasing. She did hesitate when asked whether her school would be interested (not whether she she was ready to make her school a ONE school), but she eventually realized what the "correct" answer was..."I mean, OF COURSE, they would be interested!!" to which the audience laughed in appreciation of her "revelation".

Anyway, it was a great thrill for her and I thought I would mention that your statement that Bono's speeches are there "to motivate the listener into action on behalf of the world's poorest people" is true, at least in her case. She has already lined up a teacher/mentor as well as a list of ideas for bringing the ONE Campaign to her high school.

The event wasn't open to the press which is why you'll find so little coverage, but the Alexandria (VA) Times did a less snarky article than the Post.

Regards.

Re: Bono at ASAE

Sydney said:
Your statement that she "soon after quickly left the stage" is not quite accurate (she was up there for at least another minute or two) and implies that she left in embarrassment to Bono's teasing. She did hesitate when asked whether her school would be interested (not whether she she was ready to make her school a ONE school), but she eventually realized what the "correct" answer was..."I mean, OF COURSE, they would be interested!!" to which the audience laughed in appreciation of her "revelation".

Thank you for clearing that up. From the way the article is written it appears that Bono shamed and humliated the child and I could hardly imagine Bono embarrassing a child like that, especially in public.

Thank you. I wasn't sure if I just read it that way and was too sensitive as her mother. Perhaps the author will revise her article? That's not at all the impression that the audience had after the event; she had scores of people stopping to congratulate her.

Sydney, I slightly edited the statement about your daughter leaving the stage. Please let me know if she would like to share her story with Interference.com about how she ended up on stage last week and what it was like to have that time with Bono.

Devlin Smith
Contributing Editor
Interference.com
devlin@interference.com

dsmith2904 said:
Sydney, I slightly edited the statement about your daughter leaving the stage. Please let me know if she would like to share her story with Interference.com about how she ended up on stage last week and what it was like to have that time with Bono.

Devlin Smith
Contributing Editor
Interference.com
devlin@interference.com

It still comes across in a negative manner.

Jamila said:
LIV, can you find a more comprehensive report besides this one - whether I wrote it or not?

Your question doesn't address the statement that the press at large did a horrible job at reporting this event.

:tsk:

No, I haven't really looked b/c it wasn't open to press anyway. I was just confused because I was sure you wrote it and then you posted twice about it in a way that made it sound like it was something you found because it was something you'd "seen" (not written), so then I went back to it and saw it was by "Debbie" and remembered that was your name and now I'm super-confused :huh:

Bono always encourages people, especially young people, to get involved in his endeavors for Africa.

Bono was evidently encouraged by your daughter's original question which he asked her to come up onstage.

But he did ask her the question, "Are you telling me you're too busy?" when she did not give him a direct answer to his question.

That actually happened.

If in the intervening week, she has come up with some ideas and some actions on what she can do / is doing to bring ONE to her school, I would all be interested in her story.

As a ONE volunteer, I have talked to many young people in their teens who have the same desire to support the struggle to end extreme poverty as your daughter voiced in her question. I have helped some of them find ways at their schools to put their desires into reality.

If your daughter would ever like any help and/or support in her desire to bring ONE to her school, please feel free to email and/or pm me.

But the event actually did happen - I was sitting five ft. in front of the stage when it all happened.

Love and Peace and CoExisT. :up:

Jamila said:
Bono always encourages people, especially young people, to get involved in his endeavors for Africa.

But he did ask her the question, "Are you telling me you're too busy?" when she did not give him a direct answer to his question.

That actually happened.

Jamila,

Indeed it did. Bono did say that to her, and everyone laughed at his gentle teasing. My daughter (as a girl barely half-way through her first year at a new high school) had initally expressed uncertainty as to whether her school would be interested and then explained that their charity work has focused "more on hygiene issues." The more amusing part was that she quickly, with Bono's encouragement, came to the "right" answer, which was followed by his genuine advice as to how she could bring this campaign to her school.

My only issue with your otherwise excellent and accurate article was the impression you created that Bono embarrassed my daughter which caused her to quickly exit the stage. That did not happen. The edits to your original article have helped somewhat to dispel this notion. Kind regards to all.

Last edited:
This is my only other post in this thread. I wanted to take some time and think out my comments as well as possible because my desire is to increase communication and understanding - not animosity and separation.

I want to preface my comments by saying that, from an emotional viewpoint, I completely understand where this young girl's mother is coming from. I have raised three children through their teenage years (I am Bono's age) and I appreciate the desire to protect one's children from what might be potential harm. I can assure her that I have no desire to hurt anyone's feelings, but simply to report the truth - the facts of what happened that night.

The simple truth of the events on stage between Bono and the young woman occurred as reported. Shortly after Bono's question to her, she did leave the stage. That was a simple report of what happened - it was a neutral statement. There was no negative or positive connotation to my statement. THE NEGATIVE CONNOTATION WAS PUT THERE BY THE MOTHER AND OTHERS POSTING IN THE THREAD. My question would be why did they immediately interpret a neutral statement negatively?

Next, when one covers an event like this as a featured article, one is mandated by journalistic standards to report facts, not "truthiness". Posting in forum is different - there one has a bit more leeway for stretching the truth to make everything appear a specific way to suit the poster. I am not a proponet of "truthiness" passing itself off as fact and I will not report truthiness so that everyone can feel warm and fuzzy. That would denigrate the quality of reporting that the editors here at Interference have been striving for during the last few years.

Everyone here, including me, supports this young woman. But more importantly, I need to support the millions of innocent and destitute people in Africa who are being decimated by AIDS and extreme poverty. Ultimately, THEY ARE THE ONES WHO ARE THE MOST IMPORTANT PEOPLE IN THIS STORY.

Everyday, tens of thousands of them die of totally preventable causes which ONE is working very hard to eliminate. ONE has been very successful in gathering the interest of people through Bono and U2, but the movement to eradicate AIDS and extreme poverty is much larger than Bono and takes much more determination and hard work than simply wearing a white band.

Our support for ONE should have little to do with our affection for Bono - it needs to have more to do with our concern and activism for the People of Africa and our outrage at the comfortable lifestyles that we have in our country compared to the destitute lives that millions of Africans are forced to live.

This is what ONE is all about - and not meeting Bono.

Undoubtedly the people with Bono that night got his signature for the young woman because they would love to encourage her to join ONE and become an active member in getting her school to become a ONE school - which is what she originally said in her question (to help bring ONE to her school) to Bono which brought her up onstage.

There is a positive aspect to all this IF people want to look at it positively.

If this moment in time can be used to encourage and motivate others to get off the sidelines of watching ONE and to become active participants in the movement to end AIDS and extreme poverty from decimating Africa and leaving in its aftermath millions of AIDS orphaned African children, then the way events transpired on that night in DC should be thought of as a blessing in disguise.

You and me will go on with our lives with or without Bono, but the people of Africa don't have this option. And it is their lives and futures which are ultimately most important.

Let's put the focus on where Bono would want us to focus - not on him, but on the People of Africa.

I leave you all in Love and Peace and CoExistence.

But I will never turn my back on the poor and the helpless in our world - they will always be my first concern.

As they are with Bono. :yes:

:eyebrow: :|

"THE NEGATIVE CONNOTATION WAS PUT THERE BY THE MOTHER AND OTHERS POSTING IN THE THREAD. My question would be why did they immediately interpret a neutral statement negatively."

Everybody's wrong, and you are right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom