Letters to Elvis: Issue #1 - Our Blue Room *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elvis

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Letters to Elvis: Issue #1 - Our Blue Room

[SIMG]http://bonovox.interference.com/letterstoelvis/joel-thumb.gif[/SIMG]

By Joel Tanner, aka "Elvis", Creator of Interference.com

joel.gif

What is Letters to Elvis?
I'd like to hear from you, the avid U2 fan. 'Letters to Elvis' is similar to a 'letter to the editor' feature found in many traditional magazines, where you can email me directly and ask or say anything you'd like, I'm serious! Don't be shy. Topics can range from U2, Interference.com, current events, and beyond. I'll try to reply to as many as possible, and even some will be selected to be posted on Interference.com!

Send email to: letters@interference.com

U2luv writes:
Hi Elvis :)
I think this is a great idea. I do have a question concerning one of the forums. It seems that there are many tech support questions being asked on the NewMedia forum, but I seldom see any of them being actually addressed or answered. Is there a reason for that? Thanks

Elvis:
Well, many of the problems arising from New Media stem from people using firewalls. We are very aware of this problem, and are currently at work on a new version of New Media, which will hopefully work much more easily, and reliably - firewalls or not. We have actually ceased the option to download New Media for the time being so that we may concentrate our efforts on this new version, and not supporting something we already know has issues. When we do release the new version, we'll be sure to make a big announcement.

Sarah writes:
what are the names and birthdays of Bonos, The Edge's and larrys kids???

Elvis:
Edge - Four daughters: Holly, Arran, Blue Angel, Sian. One son: Levi.
Larry - One daughter: Ava. Two sons: Aaron Elvis, the other I dont know the name, but rumor has it that it's "Harley".
Bono - Two daughters: Memphis Eve, Jordan. Two sons: Elijah Bob Patricius Guggi, John Abraham

I don't even know the birthday of everyone in my family by heart. So as for birthdays, you're going to have to look elsewhere. Perhap's you should ask this question in PLEBA ( http://forum.interference.com/f195.html ), they are bound to know.

Heidi writes:
I am an avid and diehard U2 fan.Been one for 13 years now.I was thinking about starting something called the U2 Peace Army.It's getting a bunch of fans to speak their hearts and minds of stopping all world violence and try to make some kind of peace in the world.In the immortal words from Sunday Bloody Sunday: And the battles just begun.There's many lost,but tell me who has won?The trenches dug withing our hearts.And mother's children,brothers,sisters torn apart.
I want peace in a world full of uncleaniness and greed.And others who feel like I do and want to join.Thank You for hearing my voice and I hope other will too.

Elvis:
Heidi, this is a great idea. Other fans have started their own organizations with world goals in mind as well. The most recent I can think of is the African Well Fund which we've featured on the site previously. While world Peace may not be something easy to achieve, it can't hurt to try. If you really would like to follow through with this, Interference would be more than happy to help where, and if, we can - feel free to email me again if so.

Mrs. Vedder writes:
When is the new website going to be done? There was all this talk about the new web page a few months back now its like huh???
Ok one more...
Will the colors of the board ever change? Or will they be blue forever?

Elvis:
Ah. Yes, there was quite a bit of talk about a new look for Interference coming down the pipes sometime ago. I had actually spent quite a lot of time on it. So much actually, that I decided I didn't like it anymore. The design was very complex, as well as dark - it's goal was to combine art and technology in a new way on the web. The demands and priorities of the site have since changed since that journey began, and so I now try to focus on functionality more than eye-candy - at least until I decide what direction I'd like to take for the new design again.

The colors will not be blue forever. That I can say. :)

Icelle writes:
Dear Elvis
If you could answer these questions I would appreciate it.
Where is the science in Political Science? What is so liberating about Liberal Arts?

Elvis:
Science is a word commonly thought of as only 'mixing chemicals', studying nature, etc. This common perception is far from the full meaning of 'science'.

The dictionary tends to define 'science' as: a state of knowing or understanding, distinguished from ignorance or misunderstanding. Knowledge being, that covering general truths or the operation of general laws.

With that in mind, I think it's clear how science fits into politics. Science is a means to explore and define something, whatever it may be. Everything has a science, even Bono.

As far as Liberal Arts being liberating...
Liberal arts are the studies of language, philosophy, history, literature, and abstract science, with the intent on developing the general intellectual capacities, encouraging reason and judgment. The ability to form one's own opinions is surely liberating, isn't it?

What I think is even more interesting, is that Philosophy is actually the science of language.

Hey Elvis! Two questions: (Although I'm not sure if this is the place to post them-)

1. I, desperately enough, live in Israel. The show in '97 was amazing, and is still considered to be a fine bootleg among collectors. Do you think that there's any chance we'll get to see the boys anytime soon? Or is it not likely to happen any more than world peace?

2. "What I think is even more interesting, is that Philosophy is actually the science of language. "
Weren't you referring to semantics? I know that philo = wisdom and sophy =love, so I didn't really understand in what way Philosophy is the science of language.

And besides all that, thank you Elvis. You do rock indeed.:)

Last edited:
tekkk said:
Hey Elvis! Two questions: (Although I'm not sure if this is the place to post them-)

1. I, desperately enough, live in Israel. The show in '97 was amazing, and is still considered to be a fine bootleg among collectors. Do you think that there's any chance we'll get to see the boys anytime soon? Or is it not likely to happen any more than world peace?

2. "What I think is even more interesting, is that Philosophy is actually the science of language. "
Weren't you referring to semantics? I know that philo = wisdom and sophy =love, so I didn't really understand in what way Philosophy is the science of language.

And besides all that, thank you Elvis. You do rock indeed.:)

1. Your guess is as good as mine. I'm not going to make something up ;)

2. I'm not defining 'philosophy' as a word... I was making a philosophical statement about philosophy itself. Philosophy is a means of understanding, defining, and in some aspects trying to understand the logical nature of things. Philosophy is however often limited by language itself, in which case perhaps philosophy is only a matter of semantics in the first place, and not actually the thoughts which produce, for instance, a philosophical statement. Philosophy and language tend to be tied together, and if you were to define a 'science' of language, then you would also would also be arriving at the same, or similar, definition for 'philosophy'. Language is the expression of thoughts.

its 1am.... let me know if that makes any sense, or not....

Joel

Elvis said:

Philosophy and language tend to be tied together, and if you were to define a 'science' of language, then you would also would also be arriving at the same, or similar, definition for 'philosophy'.

Joel

Makes perfect sense, although I believe that Ludwig Wittgenstein would disagree... Anyway, that's not the right forum:)
Thanks for the kind reply!

Bono's children's birthdays:

Jordan - May 10, 1989 (Bono's birthday)
Eve - July 7, 1991 (my sister's birthday, same year as my oldest son)
Eli - August 17, 1999
John - May 21, 2001 (my dad's birthday)

Sorry that I can't supply the other band member's - I'm not sure if I've ever seen them listed.

And Elvis - I know your birthday too, since it's the same day as my youngest son. He was born on 4/4/00. :D I don't know your year though..

edited to enter Eli's day as the 17th after researching..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom