For Your Consideration: U2 in Tulsa, Oklahoma*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
By Ali Ficklin

As fans, we?re full of suggestions for what U2 should do next ?producers to work with, singles to release, venues that must be played at. This is your chance to present those opinions. Who knows who might be out there reading it?

When U2 goes on tour the feeling can only be described as electric. Shockwaves spread amongst fans as tickets sell out in minutes. You?ve been blessed by the music gods if you?ve been lucky enough to attend a U2 concert. But for those of us who haven?t, the next U2 tour can?t come soon enough. From recent news, I?d say our own U2 religious experience is right around the corner.

Tulsa, Oklahoma, is not the greatest place for concerts but it's where I?m from nonetheless. The last time U2 came to Tulsa was in the 1980s. On April 4, 1981, during the ?Boy? tour, U2 played a small club known as The Caines Ballroom. The Caines is a great venue for bands just starting out like U2 was at the time, or for bands who have slowly declined with the years. Recent artists to play The Caines have included Bob Dylan and Hanson.

The Caines Ballroom recently underwent major reconstruction, and boy did it need it. The ceiling inside used to be so low that when fans got hyped up and would crowd surf they would hit their head on it and knock themselves out cold. This could definitely put a damper on the whole concert going experience.

As U2 gained popularity, their tours grew bigger. In June 1983 the "War" tour stopped in Tulsa. This time the band played at ?The Old Lady of Brady,? or The Brady Theater as it?s more commonly known. Set in downtown Tulsa, the Brady has played host to many off-Broadway shows, and even a few boy bands then and again. Having been to the Brady numerous times, I know it must have been awesome when U2 played there.

The theater consists of around 2,000 seats with balconies that surround and overlook the stage. Honestly, there are no bad seats whatsoever at the Brady, if you had balcony seats you are just as close, if not closer, to the stage as those seated on the floor. Although U2 could pack bigger venues than the Brady Theater, I can say without a doubt that if they were to do another concert there, it would truly be out of this world.

There is no shortage of big concert halls here either. We have the ORU Mabee Center and the Tulsa Convention Center, both of which can hold well over 8,000 people. There is also the Tulsa Performing Arts Center which can seat 2,365, so it?s not like there?s no place for U2 to perform in Tulsa. They could even follow Garth Brooks' example and play the local baseball stadium.

Tulsa is a lovely city in need of some U2 action. There are plenty of attractions, restaurants, bars and hotels, so we could definitely accommodate the band. Or, shoot, they could even stay at my house for a couple of days if they wanted, I?m sure the ol? family wouldn?t mind.

The next big concert we have coming to town is Cher. From what I?ve seen her shows are an absolute blast (including, ironically, a performance of U2?s ?I Still Haven?t Found What I?m Looking For? as a show opener). If someone as famous as Cher can come to Tulsa, why not U2?

So, will U2 come through Oklahoma on their next tour and save my Bono-loving soul? Or will I and countless others have to pack our bags and go on numerous (and expensive) road trips throughout the country in search of our favorite band? Either way U2?s upcoming tour is sure to be incredible. They?ve never come up short in the touring department and with such awe-inspiring talent, they never will.

Why U2 won't come to Tulsa

I've lived in Tulsa off and on for about 10 years. I worked at the Mabee Center for a year. I worked numerous touring productions at the Mabee Center and I can tell you why U2 won't come to Tulsa. The Mabee center is the biggest indoor venue in Tulsa and can hold around 11,000 when all seats are in use, including floor seats. The convention center is about 7500 and any other arena is less than that. U2 will most likely not play any arena smaller than the 15000-20000 seat arenas they played on their last tour. They sold out all of their shows in the US on the Elevation Tour and most of these were around 20,000 in attendance. They have stated many times that they love to play to large sold out shows and I doubt they would settle for an arena that is only half the size of what they know they can easily fill. They may do some stadium shows too but I can guarantee that won't be in Tulsa because the only stadium big enough would be the University of Tulsa football stadium and these type of shows are usually in very large cities like Dallas or Kansas City. You could possibly see them doing an indoor show in OKC at the Ford Arena though!

Sorry, be prepared to drive to Dallas or Kansas City. Each about 4 hours isn't too terribly far if you can take a couple of, days off work to go.

:lol:

I'm moving to Tulsa in November and was just complaining to my wife that we'd have to drive to Dallas to see U2 next year.

ThatGuy, I guarantee you they will play OKC next year.
Which is only about an hour and 20 minutes from Tulsa.

OKC opened a new arena 2 or 3 years ago and have attracted every big act that has toured through, Paul McCartney, Rolling STones, Elton John and Billy Joel, and all the big pop acts Britney, etc.

Plus it will give U2 a chance to play somewhere they haven't played in over 20 years. They played Norman, OK in 1983 on the War tour and haven't been back since.

I hope you're right. Actually, didn't the St. Louis Elevation show on the third leg suffer from poor ticket sales? Maybe that will convince them to come through OKC next year.

I know they like to play the big arenas, but they did play a show at the Joyce Center in South Bend, Indiana on the last tour. I was lucky enough to attend that show. That place was tiny (10,000 I think). The heart nearly strecthed to the back of the floor. SO there is hope for that small Tulsa arena.

But more likely is OKC. Ford Arena holds about 20,000, so that's about the size they would want. The last show they did in Oklahoma was in 1983 at the Llyod Noble Center in Norman. They sold something like 2,000 tickets out of 12,000 possible. Why they were booked into such a big venue back then is beyond me, but somebody wasn't thinking on that one. So they had a bad experience and haven't returned since. They are biased in some ways, I think. Just like how they didn't play in SLC for 14 years because of a bad gig in 1983 there.

I think it was Kansas City that had the poor ticket sales, not St.Louis. I may be wrong though. But I bet they only play one show in Missouri on the next tour.

The major reason U2, like almost every other huge artist didn't stop in OKC is because of 2 reasons.

1-Proximity to Dallas
2-Venue

Well, the venue issue has obviously been addressed. The Ford Center is a pretty nice arena and holds almost 20,000. And the Dallas issue is probably not so much anymore, The Rolling Stones even played here in OKC on one leg and totally skipped over Dallas. Now that isn't goin to happen very often, but my guess is that the United States will get 2 legs again, and they will play Dallas, Kansas City, St Louis and Denver on one leg and Dallas, Denver, KC/STL and OKC on the other.

Just a guess, but I would think that U2 would want to go somewhere that they haven't been in 22 years. Also another reason is that the OKC leadership has actively courted the bigger acts to try and give the public solace that their tax money wasn't wasted on an arena that has no major league teams to occupy it.
They've done a good job. Needless to say, I will openly weep like a baby if they don't play here, but I can always make the 3 hour drive to Dallas. Or 5 hours to KC, or 8 to St Louis. I saw POPmart in St Louis, and it was a great roadtrip.

Back
Top Bottom