Coping With the Second Crap Album From My Favorite Band*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
rev hesed said:
It's sneaky business writing and reading amateur reviews...the root of the amateur is love, but they often times mimic something else when writing about their interests/passions. A fan is someone who doesn’t make sense anymore. Their judgment is skewed; they’ve turned fanatical. I think U2 is a figment, a big idea that is not essentially quantifiable but still can be charted in terms of ticket and album sales. If you love this music, whichever album, you ought to do that. Play it in your car and while you’re making dinner. Wear it out. But don’t strangle it with over-analysis. Let the life blood flow in it, dance, laugh and take it for what it is.

This was wonderful. Wish I was in a better frame of mind to add anything coherent to this but just wanted to underscore that there are others out here in the universe who feel the same. I know myself I would be a terrible reviewer of any U2 album because I simply could not be objective. Thanks for your eloquence.

:applaud:

PopDaisy

HTDAAB
is not the band's best work.

i think it's their best effort for where they're at in their careers.

even though i didnt care for POP or this album i won't miss a tour for it.

a u2 show incorporates much much more than their latest hits off their last record:)

db9

Last edited:
Since my first experience with U2 (Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me in 1996), I have loved every single piece of music they've done that I've heard. And I'm pretty sure I always will. That includes albums like October, Rattle & Hum, and All That You Can't Leave Behind that people are divided over, and now, also, it seems the same with How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb. All four of these albums have great, wonderful, mysterious and classic U2 moments and without them, there is something definitely missing in my catalog. So when I read a review like this I just laugh and think to myself that the review doesn't make me feel good like the album does, and therefore it loses 100% of its merit. :wink:

Cheers! (hahaha)

the bomb is one the greatest albums u2 has done...the songs are powerful, a lot of them rock big time, the melodies are plain beautiful, you can hear 3 amazing musicians at the top of their form and a singer filled with soul, bleeding his heart!
no matter what others say or think, this is one of their best.

I have read some of these responses. I have to say in my opinion that HTDAAB is not a bad album. There are some really good melodic parts. I do love LAPOE, I think it has a great groove to it. I also like COBL. In the song there is a guitar sound that kinda reminds me of an Italian guitar sound. I don't know how to explain it. It is in the beginning when after the intro the guitar part comes in with an underlying guitar sound. I do agree that POP and the tour was absolutely horriffic. Talk about hype. it was way over the top for me.They should've called themselves HYPE again.

I do not think this Album is a crap albumn.......

I do not think this album belongs in the pantheon of their top abumns.

They put together an album that does not seem to flow well together. When I mix the songs in with other songs, I love them. When I listen to the album as a whole, I do not get the same feeling. It is kind of strange.

My wife was raving that it was one of their best, and then I put on Achtung and JT. She quickly changed her mind.

It is a good album not a great one, and Bono is responsible for the untruthful hype surrounding it. I think most of my disappointment comes from the fact that the albumn did not live up to the hype.

Give another listen

U2 albums, with the exception of maybe Joshua Tree, have typically required multiple listenings to truly 'get'. Achtung, War, some of their greatest efforts were not necessarily accessible after the first listen. But at the same time, these great albums have stood up to repeated listenings, and the test of time. I personally have a little process where I listen to a new U2 album repeatedly over a period of several days, and found that my favorite songs shift quite dramatically over that time, and my overall appreciation increases.

How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb is no exception. In this humble fan's personal opinion, it is a great album. As Achtung followed JT, this album follows up All That You Can't Leave Behind. A little rawer, a little more energy, a little darker in spots, but worthy in all respects. I have listened to this album repeatedly, maybe 50 or so times, and I have come to the conclusion there is not a bad song on the album.

My list of favorites, evolved over time, is as follows:

1. City
2. Vertigo
3. Sometimes
4. Miracle Drug
5. Original
6. One Step
7. Yaweh
8. Crumbs
9. A man and a woman
10. All because
11. Love and Peace

I encourage the reviewer to give this album another listen. And then another. And another. This is a great album. It grows on you. Listen until you 'get' it. Then write another review.

Werner

Last edited:
I have been a die-hard U2 fan since 1985 and I am still listening to this album every day. To me, U2 gets better with every single album. But unfortunately, it doesn't have the Top 40 hits. They haven't had a top 40 hit since One. Beautiful Day and Vertigo did okay on the charts, not great.

Pop had high expectations because it followed AB and Zooropa, which were huge. HTDAAB has high expectations because it's following ATYCLB, which put U2 back on top after the disaster with Pop. BTW, I like Pop. I think many people hope that HTDAAB will be another classic. I think to many true U2 fans, it is.

One request for the haters: Please tell us about your actual favorite albums right now. This isn't a sarcastic request, I want to know what turns you on more than U2 right now. I have a lot of other things I dig right now, all for different reasons.

By the way, Achtung Baby was NOT universally acclaimed when it came out.... in fact many of my fellow fans at the time were very disappointed initially. I didn't quite know what to make of all of it at first, and there are some songs on it I didn't care for and still don't. But the highlights of it have caught on over time. The same is true of all the albums, even ATYCLB. My own immediate judgments have not usually held up, especially if I formed them after obsessively listening to the album for weeks straight -- not the way to enjoy anything.

The vibe I get from this review is that it isn't genuine and only meant to rile people up.

If it is genuine, it's just not very good.. or at the very least, I've seen much, much better "negative" critiques of the album.

.. and I really don't understand how someone can already write off these songs as being the type "when played live, people leave to get another beer or go to the restroom". How could a U2 fan write that with a straight face?

Last edited:
All I can add to the above is this:

One way to get people to read your article is to post an inflammatory article to get the reader thinking and feeling something.

It worked.

Secondly, I felt the same way as the author after the first listen. A month and many listens later, my opinion has changed for the better. Besides, "bad" U2 beats the heck outta "good" Britney or other pop schlock. I'm grateful they're still going after all these years.

As someone who doesn't hold the opinion that "Achtung Baby" is U2's best album, I'm pretty comfy saying that I love "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb." My only quibble is with the order of the songs, something it sounds like the band had a great deal of debate about. I think "Vertigo" coming first sets the wrong tone for the album.

So, "crap?" I don't think so. I think we're not hearing the same album.

nice to read your opinion

...but we're all different I guess. I'm really enjoying this album, think the band have hit a new peak. Perhaps that means I'm failing to recognise some of the things you pick up on, but in any case, it's got me rocking and smiling, and that's what counts to me.

HTDAAB is a GOOD album in my opinion.
But i honestly think they just could have done a bit more with it.
What happened to the killer heavy riffs from edge that bono claimed there would be?(vertigo is'nt that heavy). I've only listened to the album a few times and i dont feel that anxious to
listen to it that much.

It's not quite crap, in my opinion

I, too, feel disappointed with HTDAAB, though I wasn't expecting too much after "All That You Can't Leave Behind." After "Pop," things just started going downhill, in my opinion. Maybe I'm just missing something because I haven't listened to HTDAAB more than 2 times in its entirety, so I'll just have to force myself, as I did with ATYCLB, and I eventually liked that one. Gone are the days that I'll immediately take to a U2 album, it seems. I guess it'll just take some more work, listening harder to find the silver lining. As a devoted U2 fan, I at least owe it to myself to have faith that HTDAAB will grow on me.

Re: It's not quite crap, in my opinion

PrimaDonna said:
After "Pop," things just started going downhill, in my opinion.

When I saw that comment, I made an assumption that you were introduced to U2 in the 90's (I then checked to see if I was right). I think maybe there is a lot to say about "being there" to see how the band "arrived here." I don't know if I am making much sense with this. I believe there is something to be said about making a connection with this band in the 80's and seeing/hearing it all transform in the 90's, and then seeing/hearing where the band are now in this decade. Please forgive me, my intentions are not to sound "better than you because I have been a fan longer." I do not think I am better than you. Maybe I am lucky that I was able to be a U2 fan near the beginning. I think witnessing the changes that U2 have done as they actually happened (the "being there" comment), bring a sense of awe and completeness witnessing where the band have arrived at to this moment (the "arrived here" comment).

When you think of this man expressing the loss of his mother in a song called "Tomorrow" and then 20 years later, expressing the loss of his father in a song called "Sometimes..." you see quite clearly that this isn't a catalog of songs. This is a journal of life. From a boy singing of loss to a man singing of loss this has been an amazing experience to hear from 4 lads that have stuck together so long. The band may be weathered more, but then so am I. This is an example of that dimension that I am talking about. Seeing/hearing U2 arrive to this moment (the Bomb) is a beautiful thing for a fan "like" me.

Its amazing how people remember certain quotes that were stated from over a year ago when Chris Thomas was the sole producer that is when Bono stated it would be an Edge album but in a recent interview he stated that it was stolen away from being an Edge album and turned into a band album and man what a concept. U2 is a band man? I thought it was only Bono and The Edge arent they the only ones that matter? To all the people that havent been listening to this album get over your naustalgic BS and give the album a chance you might find that after a few more listens you understand it quite a lot more then you did on your first 2 or 3.

HelloAngel said:

Let's be nice. Everyone's entitled to their opinions.

Yes, everyone is entitled to his/her opinions - but not everyone has the luxury of expressing said opinion on the front page of one of the biggest U2 fan sites in the world.

Although this is a fairly well written critique, I completely disagree with it. Also, I feel there is a lot of whining here and a sense of unmet super-expectations.

While I don't feel HTDAAB is one of U2's best (does it have to be?), it has entered my top 3. Time will determine if it stays there - moods can change. But that's my view - and tell me, do you really care about it?

This leads me to one of my biggest complaints about the critique: the "two crap albums" comment. As I don't feel U2 have released ANY crap albums ever, I find that comment highly offensive. I can't help but question - if this reviewer feels U2 are releasing crap, why be a fan? In the past, when artists have disappointed me several times, I didn't then write artitcles on one of their biggest fansites or continue buying their works. I looked elsewhere for my music. I realized that where the artist is and where I am are not the same place and it's time I moved on. After all, what is "crap" to me, could be brilliance to others.

And that comment transitions to my ultimate complaint: the need for music critics. I've said it before and I'll say it again: music critics are the most useless profession ever (even if one is an amateur). If this reviewer gave the album a 10/10 or 4 stars or an A+ or whatever high "grade" he wishes, my comments remain the same. Music is far too subjective, too personal, too visceral for it to ever be reviewed. A movie critic can at least provide a summary of a film - he/she has some value. But one can't summarize music (despite what some critics think). Therefore, this just leads to the critics' "feelings" of the music. And good or bad, they mean nothing to me.

But alas, I am subjected to such criticisms constantly - in magazines, in newspapers, and now, on the front page of one of my favorite fan sites. :(

I would love for nothing more than to not only read another music critic ever again, but to never again see their works blazenly posted or advertised in all of my favorite magazines or websites. It's time we all realized how useless music critics (again, good or bad, agree or disagree) are.

Last edited:
U2 rules. If you don't like this album... Ok, but then I think you're not a real fan of U2.
The album has everything ... It's right up there next to Achtung Baby, ATYCLB and The Joshua tree...
Sorry to see that the writer of this article hasn't got a clue what good music sounds like...

TwoAmericas said:
But unfortunately, it doesn't have the Top 40 hits. They haven't had a top 40 hit since One. Beautiful Day and Vertigo did okay on the charts, not great.

????

I'm not sure where you're from, but in the U.S. Even Better than the Real Thing, Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses, HMTMHMKM, Discotheque, and Beautiful Day were all on the Billboard Top 40. Vertigo is still there.

Yahweh said:
nostalgic BS.

I feel fairly confident in saying that I believe "nostalgic BS" is responsible for the majority of unfounded negativity surrounding HTDAAB...it is amazing how certain people overlook the weaker songs on older more venerated works and pretend the U2 of the past was perfect.

As to the review, well it states that "Lover And Peace Or Else" is "disastrous" so therefore I cannot take it seriously..

I'd like to first say thank you to Elvis for all the happy birthday wishes you sent me on the 31st October. I wasn't able to reply at the time coz I was in hospital recovering from a serious operation. I had a large tumor growing in my lower abdomen and there was a posibility that it might be cancer but that the doctors wouldn't know for sure until they had taken the tumor out whole. Luckly it was benign. But the one thing that kept me going through the worrying months before the surgery was the anticipation of U2s new album. And they didn't disappoint. Even though this may not be the best album they've ever done but it does, as all U2 albums, have some jems like Yahew, Original of the species and I personally love All because of You. I think there'll all sound great live and I can't wait to see U2 in concert again. I'm still in recovery coz it was extenstive surgery, the tumor had wrapped itself around 20 cm section of my intestins and the doctors say it was a miracle that I was still alive! Praise be to God!

Last edited:
hcbiggs2002 said:
I'd like to first say thank you to Elvis for all the happy birthday wishes you sent me on the 31st October. I wasn't able to reply at the time coz I was in hospital recovering from a serious operation. I had a large tumor growing in my lower abdomen and there was a posibility that it might be cancer but that the doctors wouldn't know for sure until they had taken the tumor out whole. Luckly it was benign. But the one thing that kept me going through the worrying months before the surgery was the anticipation of U2s new album. And they didn't disappoint. Even though this may not be the best album they've ever done but it does, as all U2 albums, have some jems like Yahew, Original of the species and I personally love All because of You. I think there'll all sound great live and I can't wait to see U2 in concert again. I'm still in recovery coz it was extenstive surgery, the tumor had wrapped itself around 20 cm section of my intestins and the doctors say it was a miracle that I was still alive! Praise be to God!

May you have long days and pleasant nights.

Get well soon.:wave:

I read the review and I have to say to some extent I agree. But I wont go as far as saying its a crap album.

I think its a pretty damn good album that when I and many other people first got their listen it was like god pushing back the rain clouds and letting the sun shine in. What I mean by that is it's been 4 years and lets face it WE ALL were in need of some new U2.
When it first leaked everyone and their mother declared this the greatest since Achtung. I enjoy the album a ton. It was so refreshing to have new material from my favorite band to sing along at the top of my lungs to. But like all things there is a novelty to the newness that has started to wear off. By no means do I feel this is one of their best. I guess I could if I compare it to another album or two. But how can that really be done considering these guys cant match what they've done unless they put out a best of album???

This is U2 25 years later trying hard to keep themselves up there with their own work. LAPOE is to me a really good song. I love COBL its probably my favorite on the album from the very first listen and still I hold it right up there with other songs I cherish by U2.
I'm one of those people that think POP was amazing even though I didnt get it till 2 years later. Now and still to this day Joshua tree is the peak for me. Achtung was good, it was reallly really good. But I didnt care for zooropa that much at all. To me it sounded exactly like an album from people who were in the middle of touring and rushed into a studio on a sunday afternoon and belted out some songs. ATYCLB well, for me it was exactly the album I needed at the time and the album I craved for. Do I like it front to back? HELL NO. But honestly Joshua tree is the only album I thought didnt have a song that wasnt any good. POP has some that can be skipped as well. AND YES I'm dammed to hell for saying it BUT achtung can take a couple songs and shove it as well. UF, to me, blew goats. I loved Bad and it's still right up there in my top 5 of favorite songs. But I dont get the rest of the album. UF the song sounds like a tears for fears rip off and very much like every other band in the 80's that wasnt big hair and spandex. War... I like it. I love it. But again its not a front to back album. Boy? eh, well the same story goes. October?? yep the same way.

To sum it all up. HTDAAB to me is a really good album from a bunch of middle aged men who are about to no longer be relavent at least not in the terms they were. I'm old and crusty just like them so dont get upset with me over it. Just know I still love U2 and am so very thankful they are still around and if this is what they can give me at this point in time I'll take it and enjoy every minute of it while I can....(sorry for the length but coffee is to blame.) :ohmy:

To G Meltdown

Your Comments are Ridiculous. U2 Has always been different
in each approach to their albums, that is what makes them U2. There is No Such thing as
a Crap Album from U2, They Always Produce at least 4-5 great songs on each album and this album is no different .

I Too have been a Fan since 1983 and having listened to all music around the world i can safely say that nobody in the world
makes music like U2. They are the modern day mozzarts

Lets Not Forget that in between trying to save millions of lives
around the world , U2 Put Together a Beautiful Album of Love
Hope and Meaning Once Again in their Songs

They Also Did this while Bono Was Recovering from the Loss
of His Dad, I Know how that Feels Because the Same Thing Happened to Me and Let Me Tell You It Sucks. I Mean U2 Held
A Concert Right After His Dad Died Which Just Illustrates the Pure
Commitment U2 Has To Its Fans

You Obviously Did not attend the Popmart Tour Because if you
Were there to Experience the Brilliance of that Show and all the
Synergy involved you Would Not Be Making Statements Like
You Did.

And So Since you Mentioned that you do have A Guitar , Why
Dont You Produce and Album and or Get Up On Stage and Lets
All Listen to What Your Music Is Like and We Will Go From There

I agree with you Shuey POPMART was an amazing event and I wouldnt trade the experience of it for the world!

Originally posted by TheFly84138
Whoever wrote this reviews lacks musical knowledge and ability to critique the U2 catalog. While I agree with the basic argument of the album being weaker than others, saying Pop was a "crap album" shows no taste or understanding of music. The album has some real duds like "The Playboy Mansion" and "Miami," but the rest of the songs are brilliant and represent U2's culmination of creativity and artistic merit, heard only perhaps in Achtung Baby. "Do You Feel Loved" should only leave you scratching your head in worshiping its sheer perfection. "If You Wear That Velvet Dress" is another nonperil U2 recording that shys away from the standard delay effects and enormous sing-a-long choruses, not to mention just great musical ideas for the vocal and minimalist instrumentation. Do yourself a favor and listen to the album. As for crap albums, look no further than The Unforgettable Fire. Had "Pride" and "Bad" not appeared on the album it would have ruined their career. I have to say that I am not computer literate. I just read this thread and WoW, to say that The Unforgettable Fire not being a good album is a lost person. That was the first U2 concert for me and one of the best. I cherish that album in my heart. It is an amazing spiritual album for me. I have seen every concert since. Except the second leg of ATYCLB because i was extremely sick. Fire has so many amazing atmospheric music and sounds. The Edge's raw guitar on Wire and Indian Summer Sky. The enduring and honest Bad and chilling title song of the album. The love for America and of course the American culture as in Promenade , Elvis Presley and America and ending with the love of MLK. Need i say more?!

Last edited:
This is my first post,so go easy on me please.I have yet to hear a bad U2 album.I also think pop was a good album.I love this album,and think it is one of the best that U2 have done.I think part of the problem is comparing this U2,to U2 OF THE PAST.lETS COMPARE THEM TO THE OTHER BANDS OUT THERE RIGHT NOW.nO CONTEST.U2 RULES!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom