Achtung Carrie #8 - A Look Back At My First U2 Concerts*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
[SIMG]http://forum.interference.com/gallery/data//585/11632tix_thumb.jpg[/SIMG]
By Carrie Alison, Chief Editor

I’ve been lucky enough to see U2 in concert six times in my life—two shows during PopMart in 1997 and four shows during 2001’s phenomenal Elevation Tour. Each show is distinctive and memorable in myriad ways for me that I will share with you now.

PopMart, Jacksonville – Nov. 12, 1997

My first U2 concert. My goodness, how does one summarize the experience of seeing your favorite band in the whole world up close and personal for the first time? I was lucky enough to have fifth row on the floor on The Edge’s side, so I knew my first glance of the members of U2 in the flesh would be a great one.

Lights go down and the opening strains of M’s “Pop Muzik” fill the arena. I see spotlights searching the floor, presumably to create a dramatic effect. But, no, the spotlights were indeed signifying U2’s approach to the stage on foot. On foot! As in, they’d walk right by me. My heart started throbbing in my chest. My head filled with fluttering butterflies and I’m sure I could see spots. My legs felt like Jell-O and I was dizzy with excitement and anticipation.

Then I saw Edge’s cowboy hat. And Adam Clayton in a gas mask. And the eternally youthful Larry Mullen Jr. And then, the vision I never thought I’d have the chance to see in my life—my hero, Bono.

Indeed, it was Bono, clad in his shiny blue boxing robe. I could see the hood over his face, but nothing could conceal that famous jawline. There he was, Bono. And if you can believe it, that’s almost all I remember from the show.

11632popjax.jpg

And then I felt it, ever so gently, the buildup of tears in my eyes. All the years of listening to U2, loving U2, feeling U2, living through U2, and here the band was, right before me, real people. I looked up to see Bono doing his best Muhammad Ali imitation—fighting jabs and all at the end of the catwalk—while the rest of U2 prepared to take flight on the stage. My facial muscles began to tighten and my head became light. I clenched my teeth to keep from having an uncontrolled outburst and to save some face. But my friends knew, they understood what I was feeling, which is why they had predicted what would happen next before I did.

The next thing I know, the gargantuan sounds of “Mofo” were surrounding every inch of me—Edge’s powerful guitar, Adam’s sexy bass, Bono jumping around getting the crowd riled up for the show. I tell you this out of uncertainty however, because I didn’t actually see this happen. I was too busy bent over screaming at the ground and crying out an emotional purge I didn’t know I was capable of. When I finally raised my head minutes later, mascara down my face, my hair falling every which way, the loving glances of my friends upon me as I steadied myself to take in the show, I felt happier than I had in years. This is how U2 made me feel, and has continued to make me feel at each and every show I have attended through the years.

After the show, my four friends and I were spent. We might just have been the last concertgoers to amble out of the stadium. I’m sure they had beckoned me to get out of my chair sooner, but I was just too taken, too stunned, and too moved, too anew and awash in happiness to want to move, ever again.

As we were walking through the concessions area to wait in the merchandise line, we happened upon a group of foreign-speaking fans who had formed a garrulous circle, excitedly showing off their homemade U2 shirts, signs and space cowboy hats in honor of The Edge. Curiosity got the best of me, which lead me to approach a girl who had an accent I couldn’t place. As it turns out, she was from Sarajevo and had attended the now infamous concert at Kosovo Stadium on September 23rd, and had made a decision at that point to follow U2 around for the remainder of the PopMart Tour.

In the parking lot, my friend Robert spread himself across the hood of his car, hand over his chest, looking up at the stars, all of us silent with contentment, hearts still pounding as if “Mofo” was still playing overhead. “Better than sex,” he said. “Better than sex.”

“We should do it again,” I suggested. “Soon.”

PopMart, New Orleans – Nov. 21, 1997

So elated were Robert, Carrie P. and I (as well as inspired by the girl from Sarajevo), that we bought tickets to the New Orleans show immediately upon returning to Tallahassee the very next day. Spontaneous road trips were new to us in those days, but we didn’t care. We had to see U2 again and we didn’t care where we sat, how far we had to drive or how much money it would cost. PopMart had, very simply, become mandatory for us. It became all we talked about and all we thought about. College, personal responsibilities and work would just have to wait—this was far too important.

The road trip across Georgia, Alabama and the early parishes of Louisiana were amazing for us. We made sure to stop in the little, quirky towns we passed, rolled down our windows in big tunnels to yell “We love U2!” danced in the rain, drove through Mobile and on past Lake Pontchartrain in the St. Tammany parish.

We pulled into New Orleans just in time to miss the opening act. The Superdome was unlike any venue any of us had every seen. Round, silver and visually imposing from the exterior, and brash and large on the interior, PopMart’s big yellow arch seemed smaller and less mighty than it had in Jacksonville.

11632popnola.jpg

As we took our seats in the last row in the back of the Superdome to the opening strains of “Mofo,” we took in the sheer enormity of the fact that we were even there, and how dazzling the stage design was. The huge vidi-wall was much more effective far away than up close. Unlike my “breakdown” in Jacksonville, I would actually see this show from beginning to end.

One song that sticks out the most for me is “One.” Long my favorite U2 song, (and coincidentally, the song that made me a fan to begin with) my friends and I clasped hands and sang aloud as if we were at a church service. Tears in our eyes, absolute joy in our hearts, and our favorite band once again, right in our sights.

Coming soon: Achtung Carrie #9 - A Personal Look Back At Elevation

Carrie Alison can be reached at carrie@interference.com.

Last edited:
Hi there, I know the feeling you had because i had the same in 85. Pop Mart was the biggerst U2 concert ever. I kinda liked the album but it was my least favorite. But I know that excitted feeling. Everytime I hear Street's, especially the beginning takes me to that 19 year old girl I was. Especially the way the beginning when they come onto the stage one by one. Also the first time I saw them in 85 , I actually started to cry. It was crazy but just the emotional feeling I got from Bono pouring out his heart and soul. I am happy for you that you have been able to experience one of the most amazing bands to hit the world.

Jacksonville Popmart

Thanks for sharing your story. I also was fortunate enough to be at the Jacksonville show and I had very good seats as well. In fact, I flew out from Los Angeles just for the concert. My daughter was born just a few weeks before the show but my wife told me to go anyway because she knew that it was important to me (isn't that cool). You forgot to mention that it rained on us that night but perhaps you were so much in awe that you forgot! I had already seen the band perform 6 or 7 times prior to that concert but every show is special and Jacksonville was no different.

Opening Night is only a couple of weeks away (can you believe it!) and I am happy to say that I'll be there with the same awestruck eyes that you had that night back in Nov '97. If any of you fans out there happen to see me in the GA line make sure to say "hello". I'll be the one grinning from ear-to-ear. :wink:

I went to the JAX Popmart show too !
there was a light misty rain and bono said it made them feel like they were at home ; )
they played " Rain " at the end..which was the first time i had heard it and then found out they only play it at shows when it rains
and then there was that drunk guy trying to get up on the stage security was taking him down but Bono said to let him up....then the guy tried to pick up Bono or something so then Bono picked him up or put him on his shoulders or something - and then the guy got to jam on the stage and then had to sit down and Adam gave him a glass of water...it was cool
the stadium wasnt filled to capacity like all other cities...but it was a great show just the same and im glad i got to see that one.

Last edited:
hi,nice to hear from you, few interesting points
:some thoughts from me
london
28 years
male
110%irish
was catholic(obvious me thinks) but now lost.
mental health nurse
none unless you include motorbike exhaust pipes reving!
"pride" yeah gotta be "pride".....i was at the local university/poly student union bar and my best mate paul and i had missed yet another seminar class and ending up blitzed..the crack of sheer electricity from edge's fiffts really blew my mind and the old neck hairs stand to attention every time i hear it.(steady old boy )i hope you guys get what i'm saying
mofo...i do like agood rifft don't you think methinks.
once had a" joshua tree " t shirt white with luminous green lettering over Mullens angelic face(for a bloke) circa 1984 kings hall belfast .N ireland and wore it for years mostly with leather strides and Harley boots(badges removed of course),only recently have lost it as always hidden safely away from girlfriend J (luv u)
who is not a believer and i know i do get a bit paranoid about possibly being the "yeah ! yeah! analytical anal boy who needs a real life GUY but you must admit U2 can do that to you
the forums are where the real fans hang out!
all the guys can connect with so many characters that you can immediately see or "wish" to see in yourself...but bobo and his glasses is my neurosis -who is copying who here bono?
sorry but i am in it just for me and my ivory tower
never really did friends even before i became my " b&t wisted "self more a" good cop, BAD COP brother thing with my younger brother M in whom i can see the non sanitised version of me in all its brutal ,loving ,tough and ****up self.i,ve always stayed fasinated with U2 and think the real changes in the U2 "genomorphism" happened in October /Boy era and just got "real"
concerts attended are all the usual markers in a irish guys life including the "personality transplant" mid life crisis .."i will not deny thee Bono as the **** crowed three times......" but now the world has caught up...trouble is i can not allow myself to appear to be seen to be emotionally touched by u2 like when you are 21 and at uni.i've just about "ironed out" all the bad bits from the first time round and no way am i going to be the sad uncle who still fancies himselp or the OT guy dressed in corduroy who is in control but has lost his VaVa Voooom.
cant say i,ve seen any crap sites about "you know who" but i haven,t been lookin'. oh lastly please is there a site /info. available
about "confessions" on what U2 are like behind the dressing room doors..warts n all...was adam the only member of the band to be accused of being involved in " r**f*r m****ess".
cheers-"the german pope was actually 2nd choice as some one had "Vertico" balcony problems.

Back
Top Bottom