Review: U2 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nov. 4, 2005*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
By Devlin Smith, Contributing Editor

Walking around Las Vegas this past weekend, it was clear that U2 had taken over. Still basking in the afterglow of Friday's concert in the bright lights of the following morning, I was constantly being passed by fans in shirts from this and past tours, One Campaign shirts and bracelets, as well as homemade shirts (including the increasingly popular "Larry Mullen Band" variety) and shirts from fan sites. It seems that Vegas was really good to the band.

But Friday night, U2 was really good to Vegas. Playing an amazing, powerful, fun and wonderful show to the 15,000+ packed into the comparatively tiny MGM Grand Garden Arena, U2 delivered to fans who came from near and far (far being France, Australia and all places in between).

Following another great performance by Damian Marley, U2 took to the stage with "City of Blinding Lights" and played a strong set that was similar to the one I'd experienced the previous Tuesday in Los Angeles. Of course, this being a U2 show, it wasn't the same old show and many new twists and turns were thrown in.

"Edge, I want to try something down here," Bono called from the ellipse after "Sometimes You Can't Make It on Your Own" and the two friends launched into a gorgeous acoustic version of "Stuck in a Moment," dedicated to the memory of Michael Hutchence of INXS. While the band did play this song on Tuesday, it was nice to see it thrown into the main set and it's always a treat to get Bono and Edge playing and singing anything together as a duo.

Next began the Elvis portion of the show. Spotting a woman he'd met a few weeks earlier, Bono apologized for not wearing her gift, a scarf that had once belonged to Elvis Presley, to the show that night like he'd promised her. Nearby that woman in the pit was "Elvis" himself, decked out in the trademark spangled jumpsuit. Bono took his cues from the special visitor and performed much of "Love and Peace or Else" as his and Larry Mullen's idol, complete with Elvis voice and hip-shaking moves.

Later on during the close of the first set, Bono launched into an a cappella "Can't Help Falling in Love," a U2 classic from the ZooTV Tour. "Bring him up," Bono called to security and "Elvis" was pulled onto the ellipse stage, diagonal from Bono, to perform the classic moves.

The first encore began with Bono and Edge performing "Walk On." While I've always preferred the acoustic version to that on the album, I did miss the "Hallelujah" refrain that ended both song and show during the Elevation Tour. The fan girl in me, though, did appreciate the moments when Bono and Edge shared the mic.

Next was a song I'd been waiting all tour to hear—"Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses." The song was a definite highlight of the evening, especially when Edge broke a string and had to have his guitar replaced, twice! "This is The Edge who breaks a string," Bono teasingly sang out. Now that I've experienced this song live, I only need to hear "Original of the Species," "Spanish Eyes," "Stay," "Trip Through Your Wires," "Gloria," "Seconds" and a few dozen others to die a happy girl.

The first encore ended with "With or Without You" and the final encore played out in the classic way, with "All Because of You," “Yahweh" and "40."

This was a special show for me, not only because I traveled to Vegas to see it but also because I was viewing it from behind the stage. I didn't know what of the show I would be able to see, if anything, but the experience was pretty great. The arena was small so my seat was actually closer to the stage than some of those with front views. Those of us in the back also had a video screen and Bono, Edge and Adam Clayton each took turns playing specifically to us, a nice touch. From the back of the stage, my friends and I were also able to wallow in our true teenage-girl nature (I don't think I need to elaborate).

I have one more Vertigo show left this year, on the floor at Madison Square Garden later this month. I don't know what to expect from the city, venue or show but I do know that U2 will do something to blow me away.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom