Review: U2 at Staples Center in Los Angeles, April 5, 2005*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
[SIMG]http://forum.interference.com/gallery/data//585/11265scan0005-sml.jpg[/SIMG]
By Devlin Smith, Contributing Editor

At 2 in the afternoon Tuesday, I was hoping there'd be some way I could attend U2's concert at Los Angeles' Staples Center the next day as well, not content with the idea that my three-show leg of U2's spring Vertigo Tour was coming to an end. At 2 the following morning, though, I was a bit less heartbroken over the prospect of not seeing the band again until November.

Tuesday was more than just a day going to a concert, it was a day full of adventures and experiences. My friend and I got to the arena around 1:30, parking in a lot a few blocks away from the arena (a downtown bargain of just $6 for the day) as we listened to longtime U2 producer Steve Lillywhite being interviewed by Sex Pistol Steve Jones on the radio. We'd been unlucky in trying to meet the band thus far and took Lillywhite's radio appearance as a sure sign our luck would change.

We strolled over to the arena and went past the box office line where many of our friends who had been shut out of the U2.com and general sales so were trying their luck for last-minute releases. After hours in line, they all got in.

Before the show started, radio stations set up shop and fans milled around, buying merchandise and catching up with friends old and new. At about 4 the excitement started—Bono had arrived.

My friend and I had gone to use the facilities at the nearby convention center when the lead singer arrived. We saw him from some distance and ran as fast as we could down concrete stairs and across the driveway to queue up with the others.

Bono was talking and signing on the opposite end but his security promised he'd come back to my side. Soon, another car pulled up and The Edge was walking over. He started on my side, shaking hands and talking, even saying "Hello" into someone's cell phone. When he got to me, I asked if he would sign my Propaganda and he obliged. In a major foible, as I handed over my Sharpie, it tumbled and Edge had to crouch and stumble to get it. I apologized but he just nodded that it was okay.

11265scan0005.jpg

(Photo courtesy of Maggie Iskander)

As he was signing, I was able to say the one thing I'd wanted to say to him since that first night in San Diego, "You've been absolutely incredible these past few days." "Why, thank you very much," he responded with a sly smile, looking straight at me. For the second time this year, I stood next to and conversed with The Edge without melting. I must be growing up or something.

11265scan0004.jpg

(Photo courtesy of Devlin Smith)

Soon, though, the guys had to leave. Bono sprinted past so I wasn't able to get his autograph in the "Peter and The Wolf" program I'd gotten at Christie's in 2003. Ah well, next time.

There were still several hours before the doors opened, so more milling around, chatting and such. At around 6:30, we made our way into Staples Center.

Through a lovely work connection, my friend and I had scored seats in the premium section. We entered through one of the VIP entrances and made our way to the exclusive second-level concourse. Our seats were amazing, just off the ellipse on Adam Clayton's side. Throughout the show, we were wowed by how close we were.

11265scan0001.jpg

(Photo courtesy of Devlin Smith)

Kings of Leon played its set, actually warming up and giving more of a show than it had for my last two concerts. The possibilities of this band becoming a worthwhile opening act are definitely improving.

Just after 9, it was time for U2 to take the stage. Like Friday in Anaheim, the band came on with "Love and Peace or Else," walking the ellipse with lanterns. From that moment began one of the best concerts I've been to, full of so much passion, fun and excitement. Best of all, the audience was 100 percent there, the majority standing and cheering throughout the entire show.

During "Into the Heart," Bono pulled a young boy in a very long U2 shirt called Jack onto the stage. "Jack, this is the beanstalk," Bono told the young boy, before instructing him to stretch his arms up to the heavens as the singer did the same. The image of the two of them with arms outstretched is one of my favorite from the night.

"Miracle Drug," quickly becoming one of my favorite live U2 songs, was dedicated to, as Bono put it, "A cool man who came to see us in soundcheck." Bono went on to explain that, "We need science. God uses science." Edge was back singing the last verse of the song and sounded incredible. He definitely needs to sing lead more.

"Sometimes You Can't Make It on Your Own" followed, Bono again giving the performance of a lifetime on this ode to his late father. I felt the build up in my own body as he gathered his strength to call out, "Can you hear me when I sing?" On the video screens, I could see he was having problems with his ear monitor and was pushing himself hard to pull out those notes, but it was worth it.

During "New Year's Day," and again later during "Where the Streets Have No Name," Adam took to the ellipse, causing quite a stir in the audience.

"Bullet the Blue Sky," including an electrifying solo from Edge, was dedicated to journalist Daniel Pearl. "Running to Stand Still" followed with the International Declaration of Human Rights film accompanying. In one of the most awkward transitions ever, the band followed that emotional moment with "Zoo Station." This same head-scratching transition was made on night one in San Diego but when it wasn't included Friday, I thought the band may have learned a lesson. Hopefully for other nights on the tour, U2 won't make such a drastic emotional shift in the set list.

Despite this, "Zoo Station" sounded amazing. Bono and Edge have traded in their traditional "Until the End of the World" bullfight for a near-waltz during "Zoo Station." "The Fly" followed with an extended ending that was amazing.

Next came "Mysterious Ways," though this night minus the topless female figure dancing across the light curtains. Maybe the band got complaints? This song is so amazing, though, it doesn't really need visual aids.

Bono soon stepped to the mic and said, "Thank you for all the trouble you went through the get tickets," ending the first act.

"Pride," "Streets" and "One" made up the first encore. Again, Bono used this trio of songs to promote The One Campaign. During "One," he singled out Brad Pitt, who recently made a trip to Africa on behalf of the cause. "Thank you for the film you made, Brad Pitt, this is for you," Bono called out. At the end of the song, Bono said to the audience, "Good night, God bless you."

Of course, having been through this twice before, I knew the night wasn't over. Some people didn't, and started leaving. At this point, through the lucky connections of our work friends, we ended up in a suite with an amazing overhead view of the main stage, still on Adam's side. We felt like kids allowed into a grown up's party, sitting on the floor in between seats during a few of the songs.

"All Because of You" started the final encore. "Yahweh" followed with Bono asking the crowd to take it, "steady on the clapping." Larry Mullen, Jr. took to the synthesizer during the second part of the song, and from our suite, I could see that even though he plays the instrument one-handed, he still uses the proper fingering he learned in piano lessons all those years ago. I'm sure his piano teacher would be proud.

"40" finished out the show fantastically. Before leaving the stage, Bono kissed the rosary beads the Pope had given him. The beads had been hanging from his mic stand at least during that song, and probably will hold that place of honor for many shows during this tour.

The lights came on quickly after Larry had exited the stage and my friend and I bolted, wanting to get to the band's driveway in time to see them leave. After waiting for nearly an hour, it paid off. A member of the band's security team came up to tell us our patience was definitely worth it, instructing us to line up in a certain way because members of the band were on their way up.

Everyone there was on pins and needles, wondering who was going to be first and if the entire band would eventually come by. When the time came, it was Adam making the rounds. Adam!! What a surprise.

He was warm and gracious, signing for everyone lined up around the barricade. As with Edge, he started on my side so I was like fifth to get his autograph (in my final issue of Propaganda, which is now only missing Larry's signature). "I've been absolutely blown away these last few nights," I told him. He looked me straight in the eye and said, "Thank you." Bono's eyes get talked up quite a bit, but Adam's blues are dazzling as well.

Adam was soon gone and the waiting continued. Every car that passed by was looked in and through. Gavin Friday, Bono's best friend and frequent collaborator, came walking up the ramp. I got his signature in my "Peter and The Wolf" program since he provided the music for Bono's art project.

Moments later, Bono's car went speeding by. That was it, Elvis had officially left the building.

After such a long day, with more than 12 hours spent at the Staples Center, my friend and I weren't too disappointed. My aching back and feet were glad to be heading home.

My next U2 show isn't until November, nearly seven months away. It's such a long way off but I know will pass in the blink of an eye. Between now and then, the band will rock hundreds of thousands of fans in a few hundred cities around the world. With all this in the making, I was snuggling up in my own bed, thrilled and exhausted after three nights with U2.

Last edited:
Your weren't content with having seen the band 3 times in a matter of weeks! And your going to see them again in November:der: Very lucky. However I have to agree with some people on other threads of the forum, that it's really not fair. Practically each show sold out within a matter of minutes or hours for this tour and many many people were still left without tickets even after the other legs were added. I was lucky enough to get a pair to tickets during the pre-sale and am more than excited about the show, and am happy with just being able to see them once this tour because I didn't even think I'd get that. I'm sure a lot of people feel the same way. And I just hope that everyone who wants to see them is able to get that chance:)

Back
Top Bottom