Review : DVD : 'U2 Go Home : Live from Slane Castle, Ireland' *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elvis

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
[SIMG]http://bonovox.interference.com/reviews/u2gohomethumb.jpg[/SIMG]

by Melissa Flanzraich

U2 isn?t accustomed to doing anything half-heartily. Whether it?s putting out an album, going on tour or, in the case, releasing a DVD, the band makes sure fans get what they pay for. Released today [November 17th/18th] is U2?s newest project, "U2 Go Home," a live DVD from the September 2001 Elevation tour show at Slane Castle in Dublin.

The historic castle has played an important role in the history of U2. The September 2001 concert represented the 20th anniversary of the first festival show the band ever played with Thin Lizzy at Slane Castle in 1981. In 1984 Bono sang at Slane with Bob Dylan, and, later that year, the band recorded much of the "Unforgettable Fire" album there. It?s been years since the band had played at Slane and this DVD shows the emotion and excitement of their return to the venue as Bono explains during "Out of Control," "This is our tribe!"

u2gohome.jpg

The show is full with the best exciting energetic U2 stuff like an amazing version of "Streets" where the audience camera makes the viewer feel like they are right there at the show. When the lights come up and the crowd is jumping, I felt the same energy I did as when I saw the same thing in person. But while the show is full of fun and a lot of laughter, like Bono cracks up during a chorus of "New Years Day" as he is hit in the head with toilet paper, there are also a lot of sad and retrospective moments. Only a week before the show Bono?s father, Bob Hewson, passed away. Rather than cancel the Dublin shows the band went on, and Bono seems to use the stage as a platform to remember his father. Bono dedicates "Kite" is to his dad and remembers a funny story about him drunk and singing on the streets of New York. The happy and sad moments make for one memorable show. And unlike the Boston DVD, this show is in its entirety, no songs from the set missing, with the exception of "Mysterious Ways" that is instead found as a bonus track within the DVD.

While the show itself would be enough to make the DVD's retail price of $19.98 worthwhile, the DVD also comes with a few extras, the best being the entire 1985 documentary about the making of "Unforgettable Fire," previously only been available on VHS. It is an understandable fit, considering most of the documentary takes place inside Slane Castle.

edgeslane.jpg

Pop the disc into your computer and you?ll get a few extra features. The most interesting is the 360-degree view of Slane. This option allows you to watch three tracks from the show ("Elevation", "Where the Streets Have no Name" and "Beautiful Day") with a special camera that you can rotate around 360 degrees as well as zoom in and out. This is particularly fun during Bono?s run around the heart at the beginning of "Streets." The camera is placed next to Larry and you can follow Bono as he runs, even behind the drum set. The DVD-ROM also allows you to download two screensavers, four wallpapers and a calendar/clock/tour diary. The calendar tells you the date and time and a show that took place from the Elevation tour on that date.

While the DVD doesn?t have all the extras that the "Best of" DVD did (such as commentaries) the extras are fun as well as interactive, and the show itself is amazing. The DVD is available beginning today in a jewel case (like a traditional CD) for $19.98 or digi-pack (the cardboard packaging) for $26.98.

Set list:
1. Elevation 2. Beautiful Day 3. Until the End of the World 4. New Year?s Day 5. Out of Control 6. Sunday Bloody Sunday 7. Wake Up Dead Man 8. Stuck in a Moment You Can?t Get Out Of 9. Kite 10. Angel of Harlem 11. Desire 12. Staring at the Sun 13. All I Want is You 14. Where the Streets Have no Name 15. Pride (In the Name of Love) 16. Bullet the Blue Sky 17. With or Without You 18. One 19. Walk On

Bonus Track:
Mysterious Ways

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a really hard thing to have a U2 favourite, but the version of One on this DVD is pretty hard to beat. Bono sings with such love and sincerity he speaks straight to my soul. To me this song epitomizes what U2 is all about. GOD I LOVE THIS
BAND!!!!!:love: :love: :love: Forgive me but I've just finished watching it and the emotions are running a bit high!

Ok, this may be a dumb question, but does anyone know what Bono is screaming on the DVD during his rant towards the end of "Bullet the Blue Sky"? I recognize "outside...America, outside...UK", and then I make out "british army", but thats about it. Anyone have any idea? Its such an awesome and emotional part, I watch it over and over along w/ his name-reading during Sunday Bloody Sunday. If anyone could help, thanks.

-Seth

Back
Top Bottom