Review: Book: U2 Live: A Concert Documentary *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
[SIMG]http://bonovox.interference.com/reviews/u2livebook-thmb.jpg[/SIMG]
By Devlin Smith

Author: Pimm Jal de la Parra
Publisher: Omnibus Press

A few months ago someone posted a picture in PLEBA of Edge onstage with an eye patch. The picture was taken on Oct. 24, 1981 at a concert in Belgium and everyone who saw the picture wondered why on Earth Edge was wearing an eye patch.

Threads were posted in Interference.com and several other U2 boards looking for an answer. Then someone suggested looking in ?U2 Live: A Concert Documentary,? surely the answer would be there.

Unfortunately, it wasn?t. In fact there is no information at all about that Belgian show except the name of the city it was performed in (Deinze) and the name of the venue it was performed at (Brielpoort). While the book, now in its third edition, offered no explanation for Edge?s apparent injury, it does offer the kind of details that the archivist fan lives for.

u2livebook-lrg.jpg

First published in 1994, ?U2 Live? chronicles every concert appearance U2 has made since the early garage band days at Mount Temple, listing where, when and what was played. There are also little asides on conflicts, dramas, poor showings, grand triumphs, and all the other peaks and valleys that occur in the life of a touring band.

Additionally, the book mentions award shows, radio interviews, television appearances and sundry other performances and whatnot that don?t quite fit the concert definition. All of this information just contributing to that aching desire many U2 fans have for the band to release some kind of live anthology. If only.

While ?U2 Live?s? main aim is to be an archive, a listing of the band?s touring life, what it really does it show how extensive that life on the road has been. Larry celebrated his 20th and 40th birthdays on stage. Each band member seems to have spent more birthdays on the road than off. Marriage, children, success, the loss of friends, the end of war, the promise of peace, the loss of family members, U2 has experienced all of this, and so much more, on the road.

U2 is a live band, always has been, and ?U2 Live? really drives that point home. To read through the journey of four teenagers from Dublin making their way through the pub and club circuit, overcoming chilly responses from big rooms and small, conquering Europe and America and the world several times over, it?s nearly impossible to believe any rumor that U2 might give up the road for good. U2 has given too much to the road, and gotten too much back in return, to ever give it up. A fourth edition of this book seems like a sure thing.

Click here to order your copy of "U2 Live: A Concert Documentary."

Last edited:
When I received the book for christmas (meaning the 3rd edition) I was again suprised about how much it glowed at me....

...brand new....worn out the old copy I had....and now I'm reading and catching up...

Caroline (and team).....WOW

I got the book yesterday! :hyper:
I already had the Second Edition, so I knew what to expect, but that made me even more excited. For fact nutcases (like me :D), the book is wonderful. OK, some descriptions may be a bit off and you can find little mistakes or omissions, not to mention the appendices are missing and the corrections to the first editions aren't integrated in the body, but as a reference and a story book it is excellent.
After browsing just a little bit through the different concerts it made me play the old bootlegs again (Rotterdam 18 July 1997, for those interested) as the book ignites the love for U2 live.

:up:

Marty

Back
Top Bottom