Review: Book: U2 At the End of the World *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
[SIMG]http://bonovox.interference.com/reviews/billf-u2attheend-sml.jpg[/SIMG]
By Andrew Leahey

Author: Bill Flanagan
Publisher: Delta

billf-u2attheend-lrg.jpg

Strategically speaking, 1995 was not a good year to publish a U2 biography. The band had released two albums in the previous four years, supporting the Billboard-topping releases with a massive, two-year tour stretching from Florida, USA, to Tokyo, Japan. The band had won three consecutive Grammys, even beating out a sea of Seattle contenders for 1993?s Alternative Music award. A string of memorable videos earned the group performances at the 1992 and 1993 MTV Video Music Awards, and relationships with the likes of Salman Rushdie, Naomi Campbell, Bill Clinton and Frank Sinatra kept U2 prominent in the tabloids. For four years, U2 saturated its fans with albums, performances and public appearances, creating an environment in which any type of U2 propaganda could thrive. 1995, however, was a year of rest, a chance for U2 to enjoy a break from the spotlight while ?Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me? maintained the band?s presence on the charts. And it was during this relatively mundane period, a year free from the media swarm that accompanied Zoo TV, that Bill Flanagan?s ?U2 At the End of the World? was published.

Bad timing? For a writer hoping to ride U2?s coattails up the bestseller?s list, certainly. Flanagan, however, is a strong writer and his book?s late publication date merely separated the hype from the literary merit. U2 was still a popular band in 1995 despite its decrease in musical activity, but it is Flanagan?s detailed, relaxed style that carries ?U2 At the End of the World,? not the fame of its subjects. Between fielding job offers from VH-1 and adjusting to home life after Zoo TV, Flanagan managed to write what many fanatics have deemed ?The Bible? of Zoo-era U2.

Flanagan?s strongest asset is his ability to appeal to casual fans and U2 diehards alike. There?s enough background information here, most notably presented in an extensive interview with Bono?s father Bob Hewson, to explain the ropes to novice listeners. Additionally, Flanagan?s detailed accounts of notable Zoo TV gigs will delight the crazed bootleg collectors who have always wondered why Bono yells ?Naomi, baby!? during the August 28th, 1993 performance of ?Tryin? to Throw Your Arms Around the World.? Flanagan ties these ends together with a strong use of historical context, touching upon everything from Bill Clinton?s presidential campaign in 1992 to the rising tide of grunge music in the process. As the band labors in Berlin to produce material for ?Achtung Baby? in 1990, for example, Flanagan explains the economic and social consequences of that city?s recent reunification. Describing U2?s stage design, he goes into the history of the Trabant automobiles used as light fixtures during the Zoo TV tour. Flanagan understands the hyperbolic, media-heavy nature of Zoo TV cannot be explained without examining CNN?s live coverage of the Gulf War, and the evolving U2 of the 1990s can?t be understood until the frank, reverent temperament of its 1980s counterpart is detailed.

While Flanagan deftly tackles these grand issues, his book also finds ample time for intimacy. The first vocal performance of ?Stay (Faraway, So Close!)? is beautifully described as Bono improvises lyrics and melodies on the studio couch, asking both the author and producer Flood for advice. Adam?s problems with alcohol are tastefully dealt with, while Larry?s supposed injection of bull?s blood to alleviate back pain infuses an air of humor into Flanagan?s lines. The interviews with Bob Hewson help explain the somewhat strained relationship between Bono and his father, and Edge?s budding romance with Morleigh Steinberg, his current wife, is a pleasure to read.

For the duration of the ?U2 At the End of the World,? Flanagan flaunts his ability to switch from amusing tales of barhopping with the band to serious accounts of AIDS and post-Cold War Europe. Like U2?s music, he pairs the grand with the intimate, somehow mixing these polar opposites into an appealing form. Had Flanagan rushed to publish the book amidst the Zoo TV hoopla, his hurried work would have likely suffered. Instead, Flanagan waited until 1995 to treat us to an account that is simultaneously active and reflective, worldly and personal, and completely worthy of the hype.

:applaud:

I love this book. I never really questioned inappropriate release dates and Flanagan seems like a genuine guy who just wants to tell the world about U2. Amazing stories in this book. Well written, too. :up:

:drool: Funny how the couch fell over in the filming for the video of "Numb." They shoud've left that in for the final version.

Which chapter talks about the Edge eating a large amount of shrooms? I can't find it anywhere in the book, but i'm sure it's there...

Best music bio I've read... Flanagan's language syncs with the world U2 goes through. :up:

</lurk mode>

I adore this book. It is not only my favourite U2 book (by a LONG shot), but one of my favourite non-fiction books of all time. It's so delightfully human. I may never get to meet any of the U2s, but this book comes a pretty good second.

Great reveiw, too. :) I've been thinking idly about reveiwing it (very idly!), but I'd never have done it so concisely. And now I don't have to bother! Thanks Andrew :D

Seeya
Alison

<lurk mode>

No arguements here---probably the best U2 book out there---best for depth, content & even objectivity. Read it few times already....once again in my stack of books I plan to read in the near future!

Another interesting book I recommend is John Waters 'Race of Angels: Ireland & the Genesis of U2'. Explores Irish culture & U2's place & inflence in it & world socialogy in general. Wanders off of U2 sometimes, but there are some really great & thoughtful commentary from Bono & the author.

I borrowed Race of Angels out from the library a few years ago... It took me a long time to get through it (some of the philosphical stuff bogged me down!), but I did enjoy it. It gave me a great deal to think about, most of it not directly U2-related.

Took me a while to figure out, too, that the title wasn't referring to several angels in a running race or something... ;)

Alison
lurking still

I agree that this is the best U2 book. My favorite sections are the ones about the making of Zooropa. "music is like making sausages, you'll like it better if you don't know how its made."

^agrees ive bought this book and have only had time to read it a little (between bible reading, guitar playing and studying) but what i read was undoubtably fantastic (12 chapters) i'll start again after my exams and get it read. i particularly enjoyed the bit where they sit down and write One, pretty amazing song and it was written just like that. They certaintly couldnt have chosen a better author than Bill flanagan, he should be a member of the band and constantly write about them!

I agree with all of you, it is the best U2 book around. I really felt like it gave a lot of insight into the boys' personalities. It was much more personal than a lot of the so-called "biographies" of the band are. I actually felt like I knew them by the time I was finished reading! And yes, I think it is time for Part 2!:wink:

Best u2 book around by miles.
Flannagan was given almost total access to everything and writes with a great deal of honesty and wit.
No book has ever given me more insight into my musical heroes.

Back
Top Bottom