Review: Book: Bono: His Life, Music, and Passions *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

salomeU2000

The Fly
[SIMG]http://bonovox.interference.com/reviews/bonobiocoverthumb.jpg[/SIMG]
By Whitney Leigh Harris

Author: Laura Jackson
Publisher: Kensington Publishing Corporation

bonobiocover.jpg

While standing in my local bookstore, purchasing a copy of Bono: His Life, Music, and Passions by Laura Jackson, I wondered if the book was to be like the other rock bios I had read over the years: Either reading like an encyclopedia or a tabloid article. I sat in my car and turned to the first chapter to get a feel for it and, let?s just say I spent a lot of time in the bookstore parking lot that day. Just one more chapter, I told myself a dozen times! Clearly, Jackson was passionate about understanding the man who is the heart of U2.

After reading the first chapter, which, with great sensitivity, describes the fragile years of Bono's childhood and adolescence, I knew I had finally found a writer whose aim was to reveal the true essence of this complicated and immensely talented man. Although much of the information I was already familiar with, being a longtime U2 fan, I nevertheless found myself hanging on her every word. Throughout the interesting and inspiring description of Paul Hewson's journey to becoming Bono, frontman of U2, Jackson includes small gems throughout: rare stories and quotes that lend more to revealing his inner world than the most thorough anthology ever could.

The majority of Bono's fans are familiar with his personal history, and most have some grasp of the motivation behind his lyrics. Jackson goes a step further by delving into the more unexplored sides of Bono, such as his multi-faceted personality, his mysterious creative process, and the immense inner struggles he has faced throughout his entire life. In fact, it is Bono's intense desire to remain true to himself while walking the path of a rock star that emerges as the overall theme of the book. Without recognizing the deepest intentions of Bono, understanding U2 would be impossible. The band's deep commitment to connect with the world and make a difference is what drives them to this day. Bono's powerful lyrics, passionate ideals, and enormous efforts towards building a better world stem from the same place within himself, and understanding that place is an inspiring journey.

there was a Mexican publication, with different cover, didn't receive very good critics, but even so I want it buy, although I haven't had opportunity (and money)

I bought this book the day it came out and was totally disappointed. It seemed as though Jackson had no new insights on Bono at all - and gleaned all her information from other basic sources that big fans are likely to have already read. I've got no doubt that many people on this forum are more knowledgeable and, after following U2's career for ages, likely more insightful. It seriously bored me - it was almost like reading a timeline of the band. A far far better read is Bill Flanagan's U2 at the End of the World - tons of information, cleverly written, and offers a close and personal experience with the band during Zoo TV.

But of course big fans of Bono should buy the book anyway, just to have. I would have bought it even if I knew it wasn't going to be great. He's our man!

I thumbed through this book in the store, opening to a page which had Bono singing "Bullet the Blue Sky" at Paula Yates' funeral. I don't know what he sang or if he sang but I am one thousand percent sure that NO ONE would sing that song at a funeral. Anything new you learn from this book just might not be true!

I don't like the book cover... is not very original I think...
This book won't be available in Colombia????

bye...

Lorena:mac: :mac: :mac:

Last edited:
I always look at this book when I go in a book store or HMV, but I've yet to buy it!!! I have a WH Smith voucher and I think that's what I'll buy with it! :)

I found it at my library and I agree with amberdawn I did not think there was anything that exciting and in a few instances I thought there were some factual eeros (nothing major but I was like hey I think thats wrong) although as some other people have said the early years in the book did have some info I was not previously aware of. I would say try to find it used or at a library.

I read it and I would say buy it only if you have to have every bit of Bono merchandise that comes out(like me:love:). Otherwise, there's really nothing in there that you probably don't all ready know.

sarah_U27 said:
OMG, I don't know if I should get it or not. thanks:eyebrow:

Tell me about it! :laugh: I've looked at this book tons of times but haven't wanted to plunk the money down yet. I might have to check it out though, since I have a little Christmas cash on me now!

Billie Midol said:
Yeah,yeah,yeah...so are there any good pictures of him in it?:hyper: :D

Although there is no such thing as a bad Bono pic, there are'nt any that you probably have'nt seen before. There are'nt any rare ones-if that's what you mean.

Back
Top Bottom