Tribute Band : Unforgettable Fire *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

salomeU2000

The Fly
[SIMG]http://bonovox.interference.com/tribute/ufgroupthumb.jpg[/SIMG]
By Matthew Anderson

ufgroup1.jpg

Seeking domination of the Northeastern United States, Unforgettable Fire is building a reputation as being one of the most ambitious tribute bands around. Tony Russo (Bono), Joe Shugrue (The Edge), George Levesanos (Larry Mullen, Jr.), and Craig Kiell (Adam Clayton) are all dedicated to being faithful to their source of inspiration.

Interference caught up with Joe after UF recreated U2?s legendary Red Rocks performance and lit up the stage in New York City.

Q: What can fans expect at an Unforgettable Fire show?
A: Any fan that comes to a UF show can expect nothing less than a complete live performance of a U2 show from a particular tour that they have done in the past, whether it's the Red Rocks concert, the Joshua Tree/Rattle & Hum period, ZooTV, PopMart, or the most recent Elevation tour. All of those little things you see in the concert videos, whether it?s the wardrobe of the era, the sounds, the lights, or something Bono said or did on stage means so much to us in our shows. You'll always find us at our gigs early trying to come up with more things that we can add to our show. Believe me, if we had the financing and the room to put plasma screens on stage we would do it. We're always trying to out-do the shows we've done in the past, and our crowd knows this and appreciates it.

Q: During your concerts, does Tony recreate the various characters that Bono has gone through, like the Fly and BonoMan?
A: Absolutely! I don't think there could be a better Bono in a U2 tribute band than our front man, Tony. He really knows how to step into his character. It's really quite amazing to watch him go from the Elevation Bono and turn into The Fly between sets. He goes as far as changing his earrings between sets to make sure he is in full and complete character. He even has his own road case for all of his sunglasses. This means so much to all of us. No matter what era we're in, all of the band members make sure we're in the correct costume for the concert we're emulating. There's still nothing better than seeing Tony come out as The Fly with the cigar in his mouth, opening up during "Zoo Station." It's really worth the price of admission to just see that. It still gives me the chills.

ufgroup2.jpg

Q: What are your current tour plans? What's been your most extensive tour so far?
A: Well, our current plan is to just be the dominant U2 tribute band in the Northeast of the U.S. We're kind of working a radius from Philadelphia up to Boston and have had really great success. In our earlier days, we were such a traveling band. We used to go all up and down the East Coast and have even done tours in Canada and South America. We found that constant touring all over the map was getting a bit frustrating with all of the logistics involved. This is not to say we won't go back on the long road trips again, but we feel right now we want to keep building a strong following right in our backyard.

Q: How did you get started as a band? And why U2?
A: I started this band with our drummer, George, in the Fall of 1994. It got started mostly out of frustration with the New York cover and original band scene. I really wanted to try something different and something that hadn't really been explored that much. The time was right for a U2 tribute band. I was always a huge U2 fan, and I also knew what a great live show they were. At the time we were really into Rattle & Hum, and the recent ZooTV shows. We really wanted to recreate that whole spectacle.

Q: How did you guys decide upon Unforgettable Fire for your band's name?
A: That's a good question. We really thought hard about the name when we were putting the whole thing together. We were playing around with a few different names. I was really against names like "The Joshua Tree" or "Achtung Baby," because it always gave me the impression of a greatest hits tribute band rather than a band put together by fans of the music. I actually toyed around with the name "Rattle & Hum," because I really liked the movie and the power of the live performances. We shot this down because there was another U2 tribute band in the New York area using that name. I was glad we didn't use this name because it really represented a short period of time for U2 that in retrospect they weren't very fond of. We finally came up with "Unforgettable Fire." We knew we loved it as soon as it was thrown on the table. It really represents a great transitional phase for U2. It was the beginning of the Eno, Lanois era, and the band really expanded its ability. It also makes for a really cool band logo.

Q: What is your favorite U2 song?
A: Wow. That's a really loaded question. A lot of fans will ask me that at our shows. I'm such a big fan of U2, so it really makes that difficult to narrow down. I guess if I was to narrow it down to a couple I would have to say "Wire" for starters. Being such a big fan of The Edge, I can't think of a more innovative sound. It's just so raw and powerful and really grabs me every time I hear it. There's no other song quite like it. Another would probably be "Ultraviolet." Again, another song that really grabs me. Achtung Baby is also my favorite album. I can never get tired of it. I still find it so amazing that a band get change its direction so much and still be so innovative and have all of those great songs.

Q: Have you ever met the real U2?
A: I never had the pleasure. It almost happened back in 2001. We were doing a show in Albany the night before the Elevation show. Bono and the Edge were doing the town and accidentally walked into our gig. They found out we were there and quickly bolted out of there. I guess they figured they were gonna get mobbed and wanted no part of that. A lot of the road crew was at the gig too, they were loving it and thanked us. They were cool, and gave us a bunch of Edge and Adam guitar picks. The funnier part was they were actually staying in the hotel room above me and George. We tried a bunch of times to get up there but the security wasn't having it. Tony has met Bono twice. He has a cool picture of it on our web site. We all had to make a few double takes to figure out who was who.

For updates on their current tour schedule, check out Unforgettable Fire?s Web site, www.UF2.com .

*sigh*

I've always wanted to see them. I wish they'd come to California! :mad:

ok...youve got four U2 CA fans who posted here ( plus thousands more who have yet to hear about you)..we want to see you guys play OUT HERE..stop waiting for a club or venue to ask you to come out ..make it happen! (I know I know.. it costs $$ to come here..we'd still like to see you)

Christine:wink:

Last edited:
Sicy said:
*sigh*

I've always wanted to see them. I wish they'd come to California! :mad:

Guess yer just gonna haveta come to NY....c'mon...we'll make a party weekend out of it :)

U2andPolitix said:

totally agree. sure they're a cover band and all, but can't they find their own identity as a band?

Seems like an unreasonable criticism. If you read the interview you would see that they are trying to emulate the entire live U2 experiance, down to the finest tee. And I don't know about you but I wouldn't be too happy if I paid to see a U2 tribute band who were parading around in street clothes. Very unfair thing to say.

they dress like them because they can. not only does tony look like bono- he sounds like him SO much- it is surreal! impressed to say the least!! they totally capture the experience and you feel as though you are at a u2 concert. you can't get any closer to it than that!! it is amazing! so sorry for those who will never experience UF! a u2 fan's dream come true.

yeah and if they wanted to find their identities as a band they would'nt be a cover band. i think they all look very good.

the home page on their web site has a pic of tony kneeling by a tv. it's uncanny how much it looks like Bono

zooperson said:
yeah and if they wanted to find their identities as a band they would'nt be a cover band. i think they all look very good.

the home page on their web site has a pic of tony kneeling by a tv. it's uncanny how much it looks like Bono

That homepage was their old site. UF has a new site. www.uf2.com Sorry advertising again. Getting to be a way of life. :wink: Anyway they dress the way to do because they recreated a U2 concert and they do it very well. I know the last time I seen them.. hmm back in October of last year they were awesomeeeeeeeee even did Electrical Storm, which U2 hasnt done yet live. They are very detailed down to Bono's walk. They just dont stand up there and play the songs, some magic happens and they become the band, and that to me is more magical then somone trying to play u2 music just standing there and doing a bad job at it. I experinced that already. I listen to a lot of u2 tribute bands online, Ive been to so many sites. And noone comes close to UF. So if you ever on the east coast see them. You wont be disappointed.

Ok Im done. Back to African Well Fund.

Peace
Karla

Last edited:
uf4.jpg

uf3.jpg

both pictures from the show in question...

i've been trying my best to plug these guys in the u2 gatherings section ever since i first saw them in Long Beach, Long Island back in the spring time. i didn't know if i wanted to go... i'd heard good things, but i was short of cash, had to work the next morning, and i figured hey... how good could a cover band possiably be? long story short... i think i've seen 'em like 6-7 times since that one show just a few months ago.

the hype (no pun intended) is true. it IS the closest thing to seeing a U2 show... from the sound to the look to the production. I can't say enough. GO SEE THEM PLAY! You will not be disapointed. From the Sgt. Peppers/ Elevation Influx Remix Intro, to the handheld spotlight durring Bullet... you WILL NOT SEE a better U2 tribute band... period. I mean come on, who else could pull off a flawless version of An Cat Dubh?

Until next time...
guinness.gif

SOCIAL!!!

Headache in a Suitcase said:
uf4.jpg

uf3.jpg

both pictures from the show in question...

i've been trying my best to plug these guys in the u2 gatherings section ever since i first saw them in Long Beach, Long Island back in the spring time. i didn't know if i wanted to go... i'd heard good things, but i was short of cash, had to work the next morning, and i figured hey... how good could a cover band possiably be? long story short... i think i've seen 'em like 6-7 times since that one show just a few months ago.

the hype (no pun intended) is true. it IS the closest thing to seeing a U2 show... from the sound to the look to the production. I can't say enough. GO SEE THEM PLAY! You will not be disapointed. From the Sgt. Peppers/ Elevation Influx Remix Intro, to the handheld spotlight durring Bullet... you WILL NOT SEE a better U2 tribute band... period. I mean come on, who else could pull off a flawless version of An Cat Dubh?

Until next time...
guinness.gif

SOCIAL!!!

oh... guinness.. now im thirsty for some.

Last edited:
creative:One who displays productive "originality"

mim?ic:To copy or imitate closely, especially in speech, expression, and gesture; ape.

i don't think putting money in there pockets and seeing them pretend to be artists would change my opinion, but, good for you. whatever turns you on.

god bless

quiv said:
creative:One who displays productive "originality"

mim?ic:To copy or imitate closely, especially in speech, expression, and gesture; ape.

i don't think putting money in there pockets and seeing them pretend to be artists would change my opinion, but, good for you. whatever turns you on.

god bless

#1 They are a U2 Tribute Band, they play the music of U2 and they play it very well. They are much different then your adverage band who plays U2 music. They go one step beyond,and perform like them. They bring the magic to their stage. All 4 members are very talented people. All U2 fans, Dont put them down if you never seen them or even heard their audio on their site. Lot of people I know dont like tribute bands until they see UF. One of my friends was like that. Quiv, there is only 1 U2 always will be. But the UF band comes close especially when U2 isnt touring right now. Why dont you admit you just dont like Tribute bands? Cause apparently you dont And there are some here who happens to be fans of the band.

that's cool.

no offense to their fans.

but what i always got from u2, was something genuine and unique. not pretend. and, as a musician, i understand aping something already proven (music and shows of the past) and capatalizin upon it. (it sure saves alot of time having to be creative and stuff - an you already have a fan base to rape)

ultimately the most rewarding thing though, albeit difficult, is creating something new. and i learned that from u2, many years ago. and i am sure there are a few u2 fans who can relate.

it's just debate, not insult.

and kinda true

You really dont get it do you?? UF are a group of dedicated U2 fans who love to play their music. I dont have say much more then that.

Last edited:
note that they don't call themselves a "cover band," but rather a "tribute band." it's not about "raping" or "capitalizing" on u2's success. it's about paying tribute to the band. this entire web site is a tribute to the love that us interlanders have for u2. the unforgettable fire is truely a tribute to the love of the band that tony, george, joe and craig all have for the band. i was skeptical at first too. i heard they were playing at The Inn in Long Beach, Long Island, a place a frequent durring the spring and summer months. i wasn't gonna go at first, but did some research and figured what the hey... i'll give 'em a shot. needless to say, i've been to every show they've done in manhattan or long island since.

i hear ya' on the not liking tribute/cover bands. i'm not really a big fan myself. but UF are different... much much different... then any other cover band i've ever seen.

and really now... what is the difference between the unforgettable fire playing u2 songs as opposed to the new york philharmonic performing a night of all bach songs? does that make the members of the new york philharmonic any less of musicians because they didn't write the songs they are performing? that they are just playing someone else's work, nothing original? does that make them less of a musician?

believe what you'd like... but for those who refuse to see the unforgettable fire just because they're "a stupid cover band," i feel sorry for you 'cause you are seriously missing out.

see everyone at BB King's in Times Square on 9/27... you making the trip u2philly? ;)

Last edited:
Headache in a Suitcase said:
note that they don't call themselves a "cover band," but rather a "tribute band." it's not about "raping" or "capitalizing" on u2's success. it's about paying tribute to the band. this entire web site is a tribute to the love that us interlanders have for u2. the unforgettable fire is truely a tribute to the love of the band that tony, george, joe and craig all have for the band. i was skeptical at first too. i heard they were playing at The Inn in Long Beach, Long Island, a place a frequent durring the spring and summer months. i wasn't gonna go at first, but did some research and figured what the hey... i'll give 'em a shot. needless to say, i've been to every show they've done in manhattan or long island since.

i hear ya' on the not liking tribute/cover bands. i'm not really a big fan myself. but UF are different... much much different... then any other cover band i've ever seen.

and really now... what is the difference between the unforgettable fire playing u2 songs as opposed to the new york
philharmonic performing a night of all bach songs? does that make the members of the new york philharmonic any less of musicians because they didn't write the songs they are performing? that they are just playing someone else's work, nothing original? does that make them less of a musician?

believe what you'd like... but for those who refuse to see the unforgettable fire just because they're "a stupid cover band," i feel sorry for you 'cause you are seriously missing out.

see everyone at BB King's in Times Square on 9/27... you making the trip u2philly? ;)

I actually wanted to see them at BBKINGS, but then I heard about the show in wildwood.. O'Shady on the 20th and thats the day before my birthday. My sister agreed on Oshady then BBKIngs.. so thats my birthday present from her. TAking me down the shore. If i had some people going from Philly to BBKINGS, I proberly would have went to that one to. I love the bAnd.

maybe, but, it can also be said for musicians who are satisfied spending prolonged periods of their life trying mimic greatness. with no aspiration to create it.

as for the link, i hope you found it funny. and that was my only intention.

thanks for the criticism u2philly - i stand humbled by your insight and...... maturity

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom