Jessica, U2's Toronto Belly Dancer*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
[SIMG]http://forum.interference.com/gallery/data//585/11265mrsedge2-sml.jpg[/SIMG]
By Devlin Smith, Contributing Editor

From the moment the colorful, Stéphane Sednaoui-directed video for "Mysterious Ways" hit the airwaves, and with Bono later professing he has a weakness for them, there's been a link between U2 and belly dancers. The ZooTV and Zooropa tours featured two dancers, one who later became The Edge's wife.

Though she's not Morleigh Steinberg, (although she goes by Mrs. Edge on the Interference.com forums) Jessica Cunningham is a belly dancer who's performed on U2's stage. Often seen performing with Canadian tribute band Elevation, Mrs. Edge was plucked from the audience by Bono at the September 14th Toronto show. Wearing her sequined costume, she fluidly danced her way around the ellipse.

Interference.com asked Cunningham about her concert experience and found out what it's like to dance with Bono in front a few thousand fans.

How long have you been belly dancing?

I have been dancing with Elevation for the past three years. Preceding that I did nothing but classical ballet, with a bit of flamenco, modern and jazz thrown in when I was much younger. After meeting Brady from Elevation, I rushed out to learn very basic belly dancing, and then used that along with my own ballet-influenced choreography, as well as some of Morleigh's moves.

Why did you decide to wear your costume to the Toronto shows?

I always have my costume in Toronto anyway for dancing with Elevation so I thought "why not?" I had absolutely nothing to lose and three shots at GA. I knew I would feel silly if I wasn't chosen but if I was it would be so worth it. And it was! It also gets so hot in there, it was the perfect outfit to wear temperature-wise.

What kind of reaction was your costume getting from other fans?

I don't like to draw attention to myself so I didn't put it on until we were just about to go in at 6:15. I had the top under my T-shirt and then I just changed into the skirt. I decided not to bring the huge sparkly shawl or the face veil as it would be too complicated to deal with in the crowd.

On Wednesday some other GAers said they had seen me in the costume on Monday but other than that, not much reaction other than appreciative comments from the men around me on the Monday.

Was it your intention all night to get on stage?

Well obviously that is what I was hoping for but it's not up to me. I never thought in a million, trillion years that it would actually work. I feel like I've been hit by a meteor.

How did you get Bono's attention to pull you on stage?

I was on the outside rail, near Edge's side. Whenever Bono walked by, I held up a sign that said, "Belly Dancer For Hire—1 Night Only! (costume included)."

I thought he might find that amusing, and I guess he did. He first noticed me during “Love and Peace or Else.” He stood right in front of me and studied my sign. Then he did a belly dancing gesture and I shimmied my shoulders back at him. Other than that moment though, I had no clue he remembered me until “With or Without You.”

How and when did you finally make it onstage?

During “With or Without You” Bono suddenly said, "Where's the belly dancer? Where's the girl who dressed up?" He spend the whole rest of the song looking for me, mostly on the wrong side of the stage. I thought I would die of a heart attack from all the strain. It was very dramatic, and quite romantic too, I think. I was of course totally honored that he remembered me and was making an effort to find me, blown away, in fact. But I was also completely devastated, thinking ,"Here I am, the only girl in the history of U2 that misses her one and only chance because he can't find me."

11265mrsedge2.jpg

What did it feel like to be up there?

It was just overwhelming. I remember when he came back the second time thinking, "This is 'Bad,' he's danced with people to 'Bad' before, could this possibly happen? Maybe it isn't too late." I didn't even notice the guards, I was just suddenly in the air, thinking, "Is this really happening?" I was completely incredulous. I could hear the crowd cheering and the music was crystal clear, but I was also in a complete daze, in complete disbelief. It was just like a dream. Thank God I already had experience dancing because my body went on autopilot, while my eyes just looked at Bono in total awe, amazement and gratitude. I was also overwhelmed with a feeling of pure joy. He really has a way of making you not feel nervous at all, but completely at home.

I also remember his arm coming in so he could hug me for the slow dance and thinking, "He's going to slow dance with me, too?" While hugging him I could feel our knees bump into each other as we swayed and I wanted to open my eyes and look out into the crowd but I felt that I would probably get dizzy and topple over if I opened my eyes.

Actually, that stage is raked out and up so it would have been very difficult to do any serious spins or anything fancy for “Mysterious Ways.” I am thrilled to have had "Bad" as the song—nice and gentle and so meaningful, one of my favorite U2 songs ever.

What did you do on stage? Had you already had something planned out? How close did you stick to your plan?

I didn't have a plan. I had a plan if he pulled me up for “Mysterious Ways” but this was totally unexpected, I just went with the flow. If anything, I had always wanted to run up the ramp to hug The Edge, or at least wave at him, but I was so involved with Bono that I completely forgot about the rest of the band! People have told me that Edge was watching me the entire time, too. What a terrible Edge fan I am.

11265mrsedge1.jpg

(Photo: Mark Swierszcz, Universal Music Canada)

What was the crowd's reaction to you?

They were so nice to me. The people around me really made the effort to help me flag down Bono and none of them minded the frantic sign waving above their heads, which I'm sure got in their way. Other people kept rushing out to tell me how badly they felt when he couldn't find me and how they were screaming at him and pointing to show him where I was, and then they were so excited when he found me. They gave me high fives afterwards and asked me over and over again how it all happened. It was a fantastic crowd. Not only that but people have been emailing me out of the woodwork with wonderful comments, photos, video footage, etc.

You were on stage with Bono but did you have any interaction with the other band members?

Unfortunately not. As I mentioned earlier that was my only regret. Edge gave me a wonderful smile when he first saw my sign, as did Adam, but I never even looked at them on stage. Shame on me.

How did you feel once you were back on the floor?

I had to ask people repeatedly if it actually happened. I was in such a daze. I think I was on a dopamine high actually. I still don't really believe it happened, if it weren't for the photos and video I'd be in denial, things like that just don't happen to me.

How long did it take for the reality of what happened to sink in?

It still hasn't sunk in. I suppose it was a day or two later though when I became calmer and more rational about it all.

At the next show, you had another moment with Bono. What happened?

Well I felt bad that I hadn't said thank you to him while on stage. I did up a sign thanking him from his Toronto Belly Dancer. He saw the sign during “With or Without You” and blew me a kiss, which I returned. Then at the end of the song he looked me in the eyes and bowed, it was wonderful.

Do you have plans to try to get on stage with the band again?

Not really. Of course I would love, love, love to do it again but I don't have anymore GA and also I would feel really greedy trying to go up again deliberately. But if he chose me again from the anonymous crowd, I certainly wouldn't object.

Wow, even though I knew it was coming, it's so exciting to see something about oneself on the front page! I really never thought I'd live to see the day that I'd read anything titled "Jessica, U2's Toronto Belly Dancer!" :hyper:

I thought I'd take the opportunity to add a few of my favourite pictures from the occasion:

This is Bono singing the first verse of Bad for me after he finally found me:

hand6.jpg

(pic by andreakw on Flickr)

This is the one I have blown into an 8x10 that I am one day hoping he will sign for me (if I ever have the good fortune to be in contact with him again!):

IMG_1033.jpg

(pic by Enza)

Plus two more pics by Mark Swierszcz from Universal Music Canada:

P1010262.jpg

P1010267.jpg

I'm so happy for you, sweetheart! :)

By the way, if you go to Google News and search for U2, you are one of the top news stories today :)

OK....for some reason every time I posted the correct links, they would come up wrecked and with unwanted URLs stuck in them.

HERE is a link to the vids.....

http://cydewaze.org/jessvids

Vid 1 = Bono holding my hand and singing the first verse of Bad to me:

Vid 2= This is the dance as taken from the front row of the ellipse....

Vid 3 & 4= the EXTREME CLOSEUP view..lol! Taken from right behind me. The first is of Bono coming to get me, the second is the dance in progress...

Last edited:
I've had the great pleasure of meeting Jessica (and in a round about way Bono too) this unforgettable moment could not have happened to a nicer person. :)

I am truly so glad for you!!!!

p.s. your new avatar is perrrrrfect!

Bonochick said:
I never get tired of reading about this! :heart:

Ditto!!! You look great!! I could see why Edge kept looking at you!! You look just like Morleigh:ohmy: ...You are so lucky:applaud:

i got the videos

hey jess I was on that concert, and i have two videos you may like... one when he's looking for you during "with or without you" .. saying: where's the girl that dressed up? and one when he finds you and says "it's the wrong song, but we can try".. the whole thing until the end..
Email me at julianamendoza@gmail.com and i'll send them to you!

Could I get in on that!!! I would love to see!! Every time I look at those pics it takes me back to the Zoo TV era!!!! I will only email you if I have your permission

Juliana very kindly sent me the vids, so if you like, feel free to email me (if you haven't emailed her already).

jessica@cydewaze.org

These vids are "light" enough that they can be transmitted by email without having to upload them into something. It was very exciting to get the WOWY bit, because I didn't have any footage of that. I presume you've seen the other vids on the previous page, right?

:)

Last edited:
I can certanly email you those videos
Carmelu2fan, that's if you didn't get them from jessica already.. just let me know!

julianamendoza said:
I can certanly email you those videos
Carmelu2fan, that's if you didn't get them from jessica already.. just let me know!

I did get them from Jess!! Thank you for asking and thank you JESS!!!:wave: :hug: Oh the good times:wink:

I realized just NOW that this wonderful story happened at Madison Square Garden, New York...

Wow!!!!

Hi, Juliana or Jessica,

I would love to see Juliana's video. Is it possible to email to me as well. I've already downloaded Jessica's. I was at the concert as well and would love any souvenirs I can find. Thank you.

Warren
warren_van@yahoo.com

lady luck said:
I realized just NOW that this wonderful story happened at Madison Square Garden, New York...

Wow!!!!

Actually, it happened at the Air Canada Centre in Toronto! :)

Warren, thank you for the photos! I will email the other vids to you right now.

Back
Top Bottom