Interview : Julie Kryk *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

salomeU2000

The Fly
Dreaming Out Loud with: Julie Kryk
By Carrie Alison

[SIMG]http://bonovox.interference.com/interview/julievegasthumb.jpg[/SIMG]

If you don?t know Julie from her maverick performance at the Las Vegas Elevation show in November of 2001, chances are you will see her profiled on VH1 in the coming months, and around North America as she launches her 2003 tour!

Who is Julie, you ask?

Julie Kryk is a young singer-songwriter who hails from Ontario, Canada. She has recorded five independent albums and shared the stage with Lilith Fair and U2. Her music is a blend of pop and passion, drawing from influences such as U2 and Jewel.

For more information on Julie, her albums and her tour, visit:
http://juliekryk.com/

Tell us about yourself!
Well, I am a singer-songwriter, and I am turning 23 in January. I grew up in Windsor, Ontario, Canada (the border city of Detroit, MI). I always loved music, and I was always performing at local talent shows and at my elementary school concerts. I also took dance lessons for a little while. I always loved visual arts, and am always making something by hand, even to this day! So I guess you could say that my brain is 90% on the artsy side! Oh, and I LOVE to travel...

juliek.jpg

Where do you draw your lyrical influences from? Your surroundings, your
personal experiences, the world around you?

Most of my lyrics come from personal experiences, but sometimes they are just about things that haven't quite happened yet. I am a huge dreamer, so I think my lyrics are very dreamy and wishful. Some songs, however, have very serious lyrics, but then I compensate with a melody line or chord progression that is "uplifting" at times. I never want to get too dark!

How long have you been a U2 fan? How has their music influenced your sounds?
I have always liked U2, but it wasn't until the eighth grade when I really started to love and appreciate their music. My brother and sister-in-law bought me The Joshua Tree CD, and that was it! I listened to that until I practically wore it out! I then got to love all of their music, and it pretty much got me through my high school years! Then, in my last year of high school, I saw them in concert in 1998 during their Detroit stop of the Pop Mart tour, and sat front row center. That was it!! Their show was just so amazing, and I left that place breathless. Their music was one thing, but seeing them live brought my love for them to a whole new level.

You are from Canada, what made you to go all the way to the Las Vegas Elevation show? Once you found out U2 were pulling people on stage to perform with them, did it automatically become your goal to get on the Elevation stage?
Well, my friend Liz (who lives in Vancouver) wanted to make a documentary on the concert-going experience for her film class, and we got talking, and decided that her, my best friend Najette, and I would have a "girl's weekend" and go to Las Vegas for the concert. It was good, because there were cheap flights for us all from Detroit and Vancouver so we could meet up. We are all big U2 fans, and so we were really looking forward to our adventure!

As far as getting on stage, I saw someone get pulled up at a previous show, and after that, I was determined to get up there!! I remember leaving for Las Vegas, telling my family that "I will get up there on stage, damn it!". I guess that's why they weren't surprised when I told them the good news after the show. I am a very determined person, and if I want something, I make it happen. I wanted to get up on that stage, not as a "groupie" or anything, but as a fellow musician. It was like buying a ticket to my dream future...having the spotlight on me in front of 20,000 people with a band that I respect more than any other. It was a moment I had always dreamed of...

How long did you have to wait in the General Admission line? If you can believe it, some of the concert-goers had been there from three days before!
We got to the GA line at 1am the night before the concert, and we were surprised to find that there were already like 45 people ahead of us! We couldn't believe it, but reserved our place, anyways. We met some great people that night. We just talked, sang, and built up excitement for the show. There was a meteor shower that night, and I remember just laying on the ground, staring up at the sky and counting falling stars. It sounds cheesy, but I swear I was making wishes on those falling stars to get on stage. That's just something that I have always done, and to see that many in one night was just overwhelming and beautiful.

What exactly did your sign read that got Bono?s attention?
"This Chick Plays a Mean Guitar" (with blue sparkly stars on the letters to reflect the spotlights...see...I put lots of thought into this thing!!). I also included the names of some songs that I can play (Stay, People Get Ready, and All I Want Is You).

Deep down, did you know that you were going to get pulled up?
Deep down, I knew I wanted it more than anything, and so I could almost visualize the view from the stage. But ultimately it was a matter of being at the right place at the right time, just as Bono was looking for someone to pull on stage (if at all). So, although I knew I was determined, like anything in this world, there is a chance of failure. But at the same time, there's always a chance of success!

julievegas.jpg

When you found yourself face to face with Bono, what thoughts were running through your head? Did you realize then that your life was about to change forever?
I got pulled up, The Edge handed me the guitar, and I just started playing. I didn't even think about it, I just started strumming. Then, The Edge motioned for me to follow him down side of the heart to the main stage. I was just SO happy!! Words cannot explain it. Then, I felt Bono's hand of my shoulder as we walked, and I new it was real. Then the band kicked in, and I tell you, that surprised me, because I didn't expect it. To hear Larry and Adam join in...man! I was really just in performance mode until the end of the song, when Bono walked towards me, smiling and singing, "Sometimes when you're happy, you just can't stop smiling (I couldn't!), sometimes when you're happy, you just THANK THE LORD!". I just broke my composure, threw my head back, looked at the audience, and said "Oh My God!". It really hit me at that moment. What a great moment. And then, at the end, when Bono walked towards me, he and I started singing into the microphone. I knew the song was ending by Bono's "look" to Larry, so I just belted out this huge long note to end the song! That was the performer in me coming out. I just had to get my voice out there! To this day, I can't hit that note that way. It was the energy in the room that just boosted my range!! In any case, I am glad I did it!

You performed ?People Get Ready? with U2 has your back-up band, how did you feel the next day when you heard the audio and saw the pictures of the performance?
When I saw the video, the photos, and heard the audio, I was just speechless. I think I had tears. I didn't think I would ever get to re-live that moment, and yet I was watching it on my computer! I am so thankful this happened now, as opposed to even 5 years ago, because I don't think I would have had such a wonderful response from people. Sometimes I still listen to the Vegas show in it's entirety, and forget that I'm actually playing on the CD, and then People Get Ready comes on, and I re-live the experience all over again! I still can't believe all of the kind, kind people who sent me photos, video and audio. TOO COOL!

The press coverage was immense and immediate. Everyone wanted to know about the girl in sandals from Vegas with the powerful voice - how did it feel to find your picture in the newspaper, in magazines - television came calling. Were you nervous? Elated? How many interviews did you give closely following that night?
I did many interviews with newspapers, tv shows, radio stations and magazines. I couldn't believe the response. I am still doing interviews about it! I just couldn't believe I was being mentioned and written about with U2 right next to my name. It was a total dream. I had done a lot of media interviews in my past as a musician, but this was different, because it was such a unique story. It was very cool!

What is your hometown?s (family and friends) reaction now that you have been receiving such recognition?
My family and friends are SO supportive. I am so lucky to have such wonderful people in my life. My hometown has been very supportive, but I think it's now time for me to expand across the borders. I am really looking forward to all the possibilities that the future holds.

Are you a firm believer that to make things happen, you just have to make them happen?
I totally believe in that. Sure, some of it is just fate or chance, but I think that everything that happens is mostly because you did it. I mean, yes, Bono pulled me on stage out of a crowd of 20,000 people. What are the chances of that, right? But if I didn't go there, make a sign, wait in line, and basically plan it out, I would never have been chosen. So I think life is 10% chance, 89% you making it happen, and 1% Bono (hey - come on...he had a little to do with me getting pulled on stage)!!!

(Talent aside) In the music business, how much of it is dedication? How much of it is work? And how much of it is luck?
Again, it's a lot of each. You have to be totally dedicated to what you are doing, other wise it will show in every aspect of your career. You have to literally work your butt off, and that can be scary at times. As they say, it's the toughest industry out there. And sure, some of it is luck, but if you truly want something, I think things eventually happen. But I never believe that you can fail at something if you gave it your all, only if you didn't tried hard enough.

Has any of this new buzz opened more opportunities for you? (Do you feel the need to thank U2 for that?)
Seriously, I never thought I would owe my career's success (partially) to U2, but I really do. Because of that one night under the stars, my life's path changed completely. I was given a wonderful moment that ultimately made me realize what I was made for. I was made for music. I was made to perform it, to write it, and to just get out there and do it. And that's what I am doing. I now have seen with my own eyes that anything in this world is possible. And so, I am now pursuing my dreams as a singer-songwriter. I have never been so happy.

Any words of encouragement/inspiration for others with the same dream?
Yes. Work, work, work, believe in yourself, and don't wait for things to come to you. You must make it happen for yourself. Life is so short, and you never know what obstacles are going to be thrown in your way. If you have a dream, make hay while the sun shines! Because you never know when the storm's gonna roll in. And, as a certain fellow once said: "Dream Out Loud"...

Last but not least - have you heard from U2 since your amazing performance together? If so, what did they say?
A friend of mine knows some guys from the crew, and he told me that I was the "talk of the tour" for a little while. I guess they all went on my web site to see who I was, and were happy that they didn't have to turn my guitar's volume down when they realized that I could actually play! That was pretty nice to hear!

Reader Questions:
Question : Are you really smaller than Bono and Edge? Or are the pictures
taken at an odd angle?

I am 5'5. We were all about the same height, from what I can remember, and from the video.

(Photos courtesy of juliekryk.com/jasonkryk/danielhazard)

Last edited by a moderator:
great interview!

i got to see julie play in vegas, it was a lot of fun. my friend, courtney also got to go on stage and play with U2 in November 2001, about a week before julie! it was an amazing night, and i cried like a baby. you can read about courtney's experience on www.u2lafans.com after the show, we found out the Edge knew about EXIT, the all girl U2 tribute band that Courtney is in. Such an amazing thing.

good luck with everything julie, great interview.

cheers to you!
affa

Affa -- just a note to say good luck with your new (original) music that you're putting out. I'm definitely excited to hear what it's like! Wish I could come out and see you guys sometime, but I live too far away! (Indiana) I know it's expensive to travel, but really, you guys should consider playing a few gigs in Chicago or Cleveland or something...

THANK YOU!!

Thanks so much! we're so excited about what we're doing right now! and so far the response has been incredible... i must say U2 have the best fans in the world. We have continued to get support, even as we ween away from the U2 tribute band thing...

thanks again,
affa

ps: we might be trying to come out there sometime so keep an eye on us! ;)

Back
Top Bottom