Interview : James Henke, Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

salomeU2000

The Fly
[SIMG]http://bonovox.interference.com/interview/jhthumb.gif[/SIMG]
By Devlin Smith

2.jpg

Next February, the last fans will circle the top floor of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum to gaze upon Bono's American flag jacket, Edge's Pop Mart cowboy boots, Larry's biker vest and Adam's Zooropa uniform. After several extensions, and thousands of visits, "In the Name of Love: Two Decades of U2" will be replaced as the museum's featured exhibit.

Interference.com interviewed James Henke, vice president of exhibitions and curatorial affairs for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum, about "In the Name of Love." Henke has known U2 for more than 20 years, being the first Rolling Stone reporter to interview the band and also, as music editor, helped champion the famous RS cover story that declared, "U2: Our Choice--Band of the '80s."

First, can you sum up for our readers what your job as curator at the Rock Hall entails?
Essentially I am in charge of all of the content that is in the Museum. I help come up with ideas for exhibits, then my staff and I set about gathering the necessary materials--could be artifacts, films, interactive displays, etc. My staff also oversees the design of the exhibits, and takes care of the artifacts that we have in our collection. Finally, we also do ongoing collecting from musicians that is not directly related to a specific exhibit.

When and how did the idea for a large-scale U2 exhibit come together?
I've known the members of U2 and their management since 1980. When we opened the Museum, we did a smaller exhibit that focused on their early years. They also donated the Trabants that hang in the Museum lobby. Then, when they played Cleveland on the Elevation tour, they visited the Museum for the first time and loved it. We had a big John Lennon exhibit at the time--in the same place where the U2 exhibit currently is--and they loved that. So we began talking about doing a large U2 exhibit. This was May 2001, I believe.

U2 is eligible for induction into the Hall of Fame in 2005, so why do the exhibit now? Why not wait until the band is actually in the Hall of Fame to have the exhibit?
The Museum covers both inductees and non-inductees. The opportunity to do the U2 exhibit came up and we took advantage of it. We also do a regular exhibit devoted to the new inductees, so they will be a part of that, as well.

"In the Name of Love" followed up after the very successful John Lennon exhibit. Why did the Rock Hall feel U2 was an appropriate choice to succeed Lennon?
We thought it would be good to do a slightly younger band, rather than another artist from the '60s. Also, U2 has all of the elements that make for a strong exhibit--their story involves more than just music.

From reading your column (http://www.rockhall.com/exhibitions/curator.asp?id=2018) and visiting the "In the Name of Love" exhibit, it's staggering to see how many people donated items. Who were some of the major contributors? Who was the most surprising contributor?
We approached many people who have worked with U2 over the years, in management, as producers, road crew, video makers, etc. Since they have had many of the same people around them for a long time, it didn't really surprise me that people would cooperate with us.

1.jpg

Fans donated quite a few items to the exhibit and there is also an installation dedicated to fan magazines from over the years. What do you think it is about U2 that has inspired this level of devotion over the years?
I think there are many reasons for U2 fans' devotion. One is simply that the band makes great music. Another is that they have been around for nearly 25 years now, with the same four members--something that is pretty much unprecedented in rock and roll. Another is that the group takes their fans seriously and sends out a serious message.

You and your staff worked closely with the band, Principle Management and their associates in putting this exhibit together. What was the most unbelievable item that was lent by U2? Is there anything you very much wanted but couldn't get?
One of my favorite pieces is Bono's lyric to "When Love Comes to Town," with his notes to BB King. The one thing I wish we could have found was Larry's initial bulletin board notice seeking to form a band. I believe that has vanished.

What kind of reaction has this exhibit gotten from U2 fans and the general public?
People have been very favorable about the exhibit. When we did our special fans weekend during the summer, we had fans come in from all over the world. Many people have made specific journeys to see the exhibit.

Has anyone from the band, Principle Management or related parties have a chance to check out the exhibit?
Some associates of the band, such as Steve Averill and Ned O'Hanlon and Maurice Linnane have seen the exhibit. We're hoping Paul McGuinness and some of the band members will manage to make it over now that it is going to be up for a couple more months.

After "In the Name of Love" closes in February, how many items from the exhibit are going to remain in the Rock Hall's collection?
That's not certain right now, but we will have some sort of scaled-down version of the exhibit remaining.

You pointed this out in your column on the Rock Hall's Web site, Larry Mullen and many people within the U2 organization are U2 pack rats. Do you have any guess as to what will eventually become of all this stuff?
My hope, of course, is that they will donate it to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum so their fans will be able to see the items years from now.

What do you hope fans and general museum visitors have gotten from "In the Name of Love"?
I hope they will understand the longevity of the band and the high quality of their music. Their dedication to their music and their belief in music's ability to impact people and the world. If they are not familiar with the group, I hope this exhibit offers them an introduction and will cause them to check the group out.

You've been a fan and supporter of U2 for more than 20 years. What has it personally meant for you to be able to bring this exhibit together and to see reactions from visitors?
It's been extremely gratifying. I'm glad that we have been able to pay a nice tribute to such an influential band.

rrhofbldgnite.gif

For more on this exhibit, or to get more information on the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum, visit www.rockhall.com.

For more of Interference.com's coverage of "In the Name of Love: Two Decades of U2," check out http://forum.interference.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=73346 and http://forum.interference.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=82063.

Many thanks to Mr. Henke and all at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum!

Last edited:
You and your staff worked closely with the band, Principle Management and their associates in putting this exhibit together. What was the most unbelievable item that was lent by U2? Is there anything you very much wanted but couldn't get?
One of my favorite pieces is Bono's lyric to "When Love Comes to Town," with his notes to BB King. The one thing I wish we could have found was Larry's initial bulletin board notice seeking to form a band. I believe that has vanished.

:tsk: That's really sad.

C'mon June, give it back! :wink: (someone was going to say it, may as well be me!)

Seriously - good interview! I'm a bit surprised none of the band were curious enough to go & take a peek. I would kind of expect Larry to go & check they looked after his stuff properly.

Cheers ~Ultra

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom