Exploring U2s Back Catalogue: Special Editions*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hippy

ONE<br>love, blood, life
Lookin' for the face I had before the world was ma
By Mark Reed

“The Joshua Tree” is 20 years old this summer. 20 years is a long time. And recently, almost every band that’s been around as long as that has released a “Special Edition” of its back catalogue. Expanded with rare, out of print material! Remastered with new, previously unheard music! Demos, live songs, b-sides, finished ‘abandoned’ tracks, rehearsals and remixes! Every band seems to be doing it: releasing tenth, twentieth, thirtieth anniversary editions with new packaging, previously unseen artwork, unreleased songs, interviews and documentary DVDs.

But not U2. Never U2. U2 are about moving forward and exploring new territories. Not about looking back. U2 are an adventure – not a history lesson.

U2 will always leave you wanting more. For them, it’s not about sating demand, but about slowly, carefully releasing material so there is no such thing as an overdose. The albums are just the albums: relatively compact, complete artistic statements. Not ripe to be exploited with remasters or expanded editions. Every song is given time to be explored and listened to, relistened to and rediscovered so each listener can truly glean from it all the meanings possible. Even now, a decade later, I’m still finding new things in “Pop”, when I thought I had heard it all.

It is important to consider why this may be. U2 are artists and craftsmen. An artist doesn’t display his every piece of work, but only what he regards as his best. With some bands, regarded as amongst the best in the world, the best is The Best Of The Best.

U2 know the value of their band. They know the strength of the band as a brand. It is a strong name of no small commercial clout. When U2 put out a record, no matter what it is, it sells millions and millions. Even U2’s biggest commercial ‘flop’, “Pop”, has sold something like 7 million copies. Almost everyone in London could have their own copy.

U2 know that when they release a record it will be seen as an Important Artistic Statement. Academics will pour over the meaning of miniscule lyrics, and look for biblical references in the sleeve imagery. They know that if they stand on a stage to sing the material, that if they wanted to sell 70,000 tickets a night, they would. U2 know that it is not just what you say that matters, but what you don’t say. That what really matters in their music is not just what is not played, but also all that you can’t leave behind.

For U2, the album is a complete statement. It’s not merely a collection of songs. It matters that each record consists of a narrative and musical flow and that the record makes a cohesive statement.

Even the order of the songs matters. Consider what you think “How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb” would have sounded like if it had started with a gentle ballad of “One Step Closer” and ended with, say, “Vertigo”. Unlike a movie where the big explosions are at the end, a record must start well and end suitably. This is why most U2 albums tend to close on a piece of relatively gentle, elegiac music : “40”, “MLK”, “Mothers Of The Disappeared”, “All I Want Is You”, “Love Is Blindness”, “The Wanderer”, “Wake Up Dead Man” – all of these are suitable closing points for a record. All of these are songs that tend to summate the themes of the previous 50 minutes of music and form a piece of narrative and musical closure: in the same way the opening songs tend to be vital, important pieces of music that define the record in microcosm.

“That’s why I hate those reissues. Someone somewhere thinks that ‘Murmur’ ends with a live version of “We Walk”.” – Peter Buck of REM

Consider then, the U2 album as an artistic statement. Imagine if the last notes of the album weren’t “Walk On” or “Fast Cars”, but were instead a meandering, forgettable b-side, or perhaps a hastily appended demo where Bono hasn’t yet found the melody of the song and the lyrics are the gibberish that Brian Eno calls “Bonoese”: anyone who has heard the leaked 1990 demos will know that U2 have plenty of these.

It would devalue what has already been produced and add nothing to the legacy. Sometimes, magicians are good because they do not reveal their tricks. It is sometimes enough not to know how they weave their magic, only that there is magic.

To look behind the curtain and say that “It’s only Smoke and Mirrors” removes the power of the spell great musicians weave. A U2 record is a talisman, a spell, an artistic statement that is self-contained and a delicate blend designed to achieve and express a specific vision. A carefully constructed mixture of elements to create a unique chemistry that is more than the sum of the parts. To remove or add an element could be to destroy or weaken the equation. The painter knows that where he puts the frame is as important as what is in the frame.

That is why U2 albums are not appended in expanded “legacy,” “anniversary,” or “special” editions. The music contained within them, and every nuance thereof, is enough to create a lasting and important statement, to achieve the desired communication of great artists. To show the artist’s sketchbook and reveal all the extraneous material destroys the integral and vital mystery of the work in creating a complete and satisfactory artistic work. The record is a statement, and revealing the inner working of how it was created dilutes the vision. Leave the albums alone, they don’t need expanding. They’re more than good enough as they are.

"It is important to consider why this may be. U2 are artists and craftsmen. An artist doesn’t display his every piece of work, but only what he regards as his best."

But doesn't even the band admit that Pop was thrown together, finished barely in time before the tour began? And isn't that why they then took three years to put out ATYCLB?

They're artists, but they're also human, and through the years they've had some real misses.

They would be the first to admit that they're NOT "more than good enough as they are" as would any real artist, who wants to keep growing and improving. As for "special editions," what would you call U218?

Since when was Walk On the last song on an album? My edition of ATYCLB has Grace as the last song. Additionally a fair amount of people have Yahweh closing their HTDAAB instead of Fast Cars, and I have to say it probably makes a better closing song than Fast Cars. Too me, Fast Cars was really just added as a bonus track and not really as an end song, which goes exactly against this whole special edition thing.

OOh, you got a point about ATYCLB - I got so used to it being last song in the sets.. the last song on my copy of ATYCLB is "Ground Beneath Her Feet". I don't think we should regard 'international bonus tracks' s part of the album.

As for "Pop", it gets an unfair kicking I think.

I would call U218 a ripoff, myself. Certainly not an album.

Overall a very well-written article that does a very good job of explaining basically how I've always felt about U2. Much like Pink Floyd, I see the greatness in U2 defined by their artistic approach to music (and their live performances as well).

Having said that, I agree with the following points itterated by others:

- No offense to 'Fast Cars', but 'Yahweh' was obviously the intended last song for HTDAAB and I'm glad that's how my copy of the cd ends.

- Also, I agree with silvrlvr that 'Pop', probably moreso than any other effort, is the album U2 would most likely love to do over again. I dont think any artist, whether it be a painter or a musician, would be satisfied with one of their works that was rushed to completion and not finished to their satisfaction. I don't consider 'Pop' as U2's worst album at all. But I do often wonder what it would have sounded like had U2 given it the time they needed to complete it to their own satisfaction.

emalvick said:
Since when was Walk On the last song on an album? My edition of ATYCLB has Grace as the last song. Additionally a fair amount of people have Yahweh closing their HTDAAB instead of Fast Cars, and I have to say it probably makes a better closing song than Fast Cars. Too me, Fast Cars was really just added as a bonus track and not really as an end song, which goes exactly against this whole special edition thing.

I was thinking the same thing. "Walk On" doesn't end any version of any album - it's either "Grace" or "The Ground Beneath Her Feet" - both appropriate closing tracks for that album, IMO. HTDAAB ends with "Yahweh" or "Fast Cars" - again, good closing tracks for that album.

Also, U2 released the "Making of 'The Joshua Tree'" DVD. Granted, this wasn't some special anniversary issue, but still, the "making of" is out there.

Lastly, as others pointed out, while U2 haven't re-released their albums (thankfully!), they have had three "Best Of" type albums. And each "Best Of" has slightly different versions of some of the songs (compared to their original releases). So in a way, these have been repackaged.

Of course, this brings up a point - why is it so wrong to revisit an album? Yes, U2 is known for looking forward. Even when they explored their past on ATYCLB, they did it in a forward thinking way. That is, they took their classic U2 sound and modernized it for 2000. Nothing wrong with that, IMO. U2's sound is unique and it was worth revisiting. Still, even if U2 did release a special 20th anniversary edition of JT, would that be so awful? For example, let's say there was no "making of" DVD out there, would it really be so awful to see that or hear outtakes? Wouldn't we all love to see the video for "Running to Stand Still"? In other words, if this special edition was done properly (with real extra footage and unreleased tracks, etc.), a fan would really enjoy it. If these types of releases didn't sell, studios wouldn't do them. But clearly there is a demand for people to go back in time, revisit some of their favorite music and learn more about that band and that era.

In other words, while I'm glad U2 hasn't done this, if they did and they did it "right", I wouldn't be upset.

So word is that a "Deluxe Edition" of the Joshua Tree will be arriving on November 13th. Anyone have the details?

Odd that it arrives so hot on the heels of this write-up :)

The Cure and Depeche Mode have recently remastered and rereleased their back catalogues in an incredibly fan-friendly and creative way. U2's catalogue is way overdue for remastering. I love the early albums, but they sound terrible on CD and MP3.

The Depeche Mode reissues, in my opinion, are the high water mark. Each one has both a remastered album, in the original sequence, a DVD 5.1 mix in the original sequence and then a ton of bonus material that pertains specifically to that album. Live tracks from the corresponding tour, remixes, b-sides. Plus each album has an album-specific documentary and all of them are extrememly well done. All memebers of the band, current and former, participated and they interview everyone from the label, production team, tour staff and even the photographers and graphic designers that worked on the album covers. The packaging is beautiful.

http://remasters.depechemode.com/

I could go on and on.. and I already have, but the point is if U2 threw themselves at a project like this in the way that they commited themselves to the U2 by U2 book, it would be fantastic. It's time they showed their catalogue the respect it deserves.

In fact, the care they've taken with the dvd releases of ZooTV and PopMart show that when it's time to do this, they tend to do an excellent job.

There's a difference between looking back, and honoring the past. If done right, this could be an amazing project.

Well all said and done a 20th anniversary Joshua Tree Album is on its way in 3 formats including a DVD live from Paris 1987 which i must say im pretty pleased about as its one tour they never officialy released much from (live) The tentative release date is November 23, 2007.

U2tour.de informed us that Universal Austria has confirmed the release of three special 20th Anniversary Editions of The Joshua Tree,

1. A digitally re-mastered standard album in a 'super' jewel case with a 24-page booklet.

2. A deluxe edition to include a 5" hardcover book with two wallets (at front and back) to hold two CDs (the remastered album + rarities) and the 24-page booklet.

3. A limited edition to contain everything in the deluxe edtion, plus one DVD of a Paris show from The Joshua Tree tour.

so like it or lump it its coming !! i will certainly embrace it and i hope many more to com.

But yet there has been rumours from a few sources talking of a 20th ANniversary The Joshua Tree. Reissue.

I agree the album is good as it is. But the mastering quality pre-Achtung Baby... Boy - R&H could use a remastering.

In that, nothing wrong with the REAL album on one disc and b-sides, outtakes or alt versions on a 2nd CD. And a DVD of they recording or documentary about the albums... good stuff and value to many fans = like REM's recent reissues.

I love reissues. Better sound quality, rarities..
Nothing like revisiting an old favorite!

But not U2. Never U2. U2 are about moving forward and exploring new territories. Not about looking back. U2 are an adventure – not a history lesson.

I think someone is eating their words.

Also I'd love to know what Mr. Reed thinks of the Limited Edition Box Set now.

I for one love it and think it's long over due. Yes, they could have added more stuff on the DVD, but I'm happy.

If they remaster the other albums like this, I'd buy it up in a heart beat!

Next remaster please!

:D

ah hello!

Yes, I am eating my words. It's a fabulous package, I'll grant you that. I wish they did it for all of their records. I like it just as it was, but the new edition is pretty damn good. I'd shuffle some of the songs around on the bonus CD myself though.

I think the key thing here is that bonus tracks are relegated to a second disc. The album still stands on its own, unlike the recent 3rd CD editions of the early Elvis Costello albums (or the first reissues). The 2-CD Rhino discs were easily my favorite set of EC reissues because they presented the "new" material independently. It will be interesting to see what the approach is with Boy, October and War.

Back
Top Bottom