Why the similar threads thing is not working

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Kitten

Blue Crack Addict
It was a good idea, but considering the way people name threads like Led Zeppelin names songs, the main idea is not always in the title. Also, it grabs one word and gets things that really aren't the same, examples:

the Dave Matthews thread brought up Dave Stewart's birthday party and Dave's (Diamond's) birthday threads!

The Say Cheese thread in PLEBA should have similar threads of other smiling pictures, but it gives you a goat's cheese thread and cheesy stuff.

The Police (the band) bring up stuff about real police.

The Future U2 band members thread, about the children of U2 members, was bringing up stuff about futuristic societies and the future of the band.

There were others but I can't think of them right now. It just seems like, as good of an idea as it was, it is not serving its purpose since the real subject matter is usually missed in the names of the threads, especially if all words and not just a keyword are used to search. So now, they seem more funny than useful and only give my computer something extra to load. If it could really serve its original purpose, I'd like to keep it, but if it continues the way it is it's not very useful and a waste of space. Please don't get mad at me, I just thought this needed to have attention drawn to it. Maybe it can be fixed or improved.

The one that scares me is the one in The Thread in PLEBAns that says, "Another person I know just died" or something like that.
I always feel bad for not clikcing on it even though I know its old.

And then I accidentally pulled up and started responding to one of BOOMCHAAs threads from like, 8 months ago. It was all very entertaining and I enjoyed it immensely.
Thats all I have to say.

First off...
It does search by title

2nd... it is -never- going to, or would be able to, decipher the types of pictures in a thread... lol.. sorry.. but dream on ;)

3rd... from the examples below... like the future band members..... it is bring up related threads.... related to 'future'. It may not be what you are looking at, or what you expect, but it IS related in someway.

The demon cat thread... pulls up 3 other threads about cats... and one about demon seeds...

Anyway, I feel that this feature will help to circulate people among various forums which they may not normally go. If you'd like to consider it 'random threads'... feel free. lol. It doesnt hurt anything, and it takes up about as much height on the page as one persons signature... and has been moved below the quick reply box.

daisybean said:
I think it's linking by same words in the thread title, not necessarily the content.

So for this thread the following threads are linked

"Guess who's working for jubilee"

"The wierdest thing a non-U2...."

etc....

Yeah, I know, that was exactly the point of the post, it takes more any word than a keyword and it could pull up anything. But if you're looking for interesting randomness it serves that purpose. I just thought it was off track in serving its purpose of similar threads. Oh well, it doesn't really matter I guess. :shrug:

i like it. stuff like a really ancient pleba free stylin firday thread came up in something pretty unrelated, and that was amusing...

The funny part is that I stumbled in here from the "Dorkiest thing you've ever done 'cause of U2" thread.

Back
Top Bottom