Why can I not see smilies/imgs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theSoulfulMofo

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Hello out there...

In the past 48 hours, I cannot see a single image in Interland...

:help:

no seriously... most images, except avatars, donate (on top corner), and the buy items (on top) shows up with a red "x"...

someone help, please!!!? :reject:

could it be computer virus, hack, poor ip connection?

I don't have any problems on other websites!!?

:angry:
:rant:

I still can't see a single image.... I can't even see myself ranting!!?!

theSoulfulMofo said:
Someone :help: PLEASE :help:

Your browser IS NOT reporting the 'referrer url' correctly.
Infact.. its not reporting it at all!

English: When you're on a page ex. http://interference.com/ and then you click a link to http://forum.interference.com, the first URL (http://interference.com) is reported to the webserver (of the 2nd URL) as a 'REFERRER_URL'.

This REFERRER_URL is required to view images or download attachments from this server.

This is necessary to prevent bandwidth theft, to help keep our costs down (or attempt to).

What this means...
Your web browser has a problem, and not only with this site, but MANY sites that require 'REFERRER_URL'.

From the server logs, it shows you are using:
Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1)
(Internet Explorer 6.0)

I would advise you to UNINSTALL and then re-install IE 6 or make sure you have all the current security updates.
IF that doesn't resolve the problem, I suggest you either contact Microsoft, or use another browser which works properly.

You seem to be the only person having this problem, and it IS because your browser is not working properly.

Hope this helps,

Joel

Thanks everyone... Lemme try uninstalling and then reinstalling...

Ok... this is a bit weird...

I uninstalled and reinstalled IE 6.0 many times tonight... and it didn't seem to do anything, and by that , I mean, it didn't need to reboot or require my WinXP Install CD... and therefore I assume it was never really deleted.... and still-- ZIP... no images at all after reinstall of IE...

Now I'm typing this post through Netscape... and I still see no images/smilies through Netscape web browser....

AND STILL, I tell you... I have no problems viewing images with other websites, such as Amazon or Yahoo...

My IE browser shows that I have IE6.0 with SP1 and a particular Security Patch... but that's about it....

That's about it... I don't know what else I can do...

I'm wondering whether it's a firewall problem or something...

ew

theSoulfulMofo said:
Ok... this is a bit weird...

I uninstalled and reinstalled IE 6.0 many times tonight... and it didn't seem to do anything, and by that , I mean, it didn't need to reboot or require my WinXP Install CD... and therefore I assume it was never really deleted.... and still-- ZIP... no images at all after reinstall of IE...

Now I'm typing this post through Netscape... and I still see no images/smilies through Netscape web browser....

AND STILL, I tell you... I have no problems viewing images with other websites, such as Amazon or Yahoo...

My IE browser shows that I have IE6.0 with SP1 and a particular Security Patch... but that's about it....

That's about it... I don't know what else I can do...

I'm wondering whether it's a firewall problem or something...

Are you using any personal firewall or personal info protection programs?

mmmm

I was just checking my server logs...
It shows that when you use Netscape you have a REFERRER_URL some, but not all, of the time.

I really am guessing that some kinda firewall software/hardware is messing with you.

Yeah... I'm using Norton Internet Security... but this has never happened to me before.

I'm starting to see a few images now... not everything though.

thanks for your input, Elvis.
s.m.

theSoulfulMofo said:
Yeah... I'm using Norton Internet Security... but this has never happened to me before.

I'm starting to see a few images now... not everything though.

thanks for your input, Elvis.
s.m.

I have one comment...

Norton Internet Security sucks. It screws with stuff that it doesnt need to.... like cookies... and obviously your REFERRER information.

Finally... I can SEE...

(I finally figured out how to select specficially Interference "greenlight" for browsing referral.)

Elvis-- I know, I know... but how else am I gonna feel safe on the Net, for a literally-amateur computer geek like me ... Last month, I was notified by Norton that I had hack attempts (from two different IP addresses) on my computer... boy, was I peeved.

:shrug:

I dunno... hope everything's back to norm now....

theSoulfulMofo said:
Finally... I can SEE...

(I finally figured out how to select specficially Interference "greenlight" for browsing referral.)

Elvis-- I know, I know... but how else am I gonna feel safe on the Net, for a literally-amateur computer geek like me ... Last month, I was notified by Norton that I had hack attempts (from two different IP addresses) on my computer... boy, was I peeved.

:shrug:

I dunno... hope everything's back to norm now....

Most of those so called 'hack attempts' are just people scanning ports... for ports you dont even use... and are harmless. Norton likes to scare people.

For instance... My computer is a fortress... yet.. Norton would tell me otherwise. Norton is wrong.

;)

Well, everyone... I would just like to say "Thank you" for your help and concern, ... that and putting up with me.

See you guys soon... I'm going to sleep.

Hey theSoulfulMofo.........

Can you help me step by step to get the green light. I have the same setup as you and the same problems. I can't figure it out.

Back
Top Bottom