Why are threads closed when they reach 500 posts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If the thread has over 500 replies, it may be closed due to server issues.
That is one of the quotes from the FAQ/Rules listed at the top fo the page.

I should probably add that it takes a ridiculous amount of time to find something when you have to wade through that many posts.

Sken

Last edited:
Sken said:
I should probably add that it takes a ridiculous amount of time to find something when you have to wade through that many posts.

Sken

What, like a setlist?

Sken said:
That is one of the quotes from the FAQ/Rules listed at the top fo the page.

Sken

Wow someone actually reads the rules :drool:

Large threads are taxing to the database. Each time a large thread is opened/accessed or viewed it can strain the server. Elvis can explain it better than me.. you are more than welcome to ask him. :geektalk:

When threads are closed because they are over 500 replies, you are more than welcome to start a continuation thread.

I also do have to agree about the time it takes to wade through large threads to find what you're looking for.

What, like a setlist?
Could be anything really. Links to mp3's of a concert, or even trying to find out where in the Heartland Appreciatian thread they talk about Heartland.

It's always easier to find something when there is less to sort through.

Sken

Sicy said:

Wow someone actually reads the rules :drool:

Large threads are taxing to the database. Each time a large thread is opened/accessed or viewed it can strain the server. Elvis can explain it better than me.. you are more than welcome to ask him. :geektalk:

When threads are closed because they are over 500 replies, you are more than welcome to start a continuation thread.

I also do have to agree about the time it takes to wade through large threads to find what you're looking for.

Thank you. I knew it was a "rule," but I didn't know why. What you have said explains it much better than "server issues" does and makes total sense. I appreciate the explanations.

Back
Top Bottom