Who Ignores Me?... let's hear your opinion!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Do you want to have the 'Who Ignores Me?' feature (with names that ignore you)

• Yay

Votes: 72 66.7%
  • Nay

Votes: 36 33.3%

• Total voters

Elvis

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Ok, lots of debate about if we should keep/have/scrap the 'Who Ignores Me?' feature.

Here is your opportunity to weigh in.

I'd appreciate votes on the poll, in addition to comments.

Yay or Nay on having the feature where you'd see the names of the folks that ignore you.

Joel

i say yes

it helps explain things and i think it's amusing

in fact, it really makes me wanna go premium again

I mostly think that it just opens up the doors for hurt feelings, because I doubt that most people will take the information and use it constructively.

I can see it being useful when you're trying to figure out why you keep asking someone a question in a thread, and they just won't respond ... maybe they've ignored you and that's why they're not answering.

:shrug:

No too. It's intrusive and opens up a can of worms. You should be able to ignore whoever you want for whatever reason without backlash occuring elsewhere on the forum. I only see it creating drama and more work for the mods.

Yay.

If your day is ruined because you found out that someone who doesn't even like you in the first place has put you on ignore then you need to grow a backbone.
Or just ignore them back and you'll never cross paths again. :up:

it's a moot point for me, but i do think this is a good tool. well maybe good isn't the appropriate word, but i look at it like this. no one gets along with everyone. some may look at this as a way of knowing who doesn't like them for whatever reason. if it hurts your feelings knowing who's on your ignore list, just ignore the function. :shrug:

Bonochick said:
I mostly think that it just opens up the doors for hurt feelings, because I doubt that most people will take the information and use it constructively.

Yep-and I think this absolutely, not mostly. Everyone's sensitivities are different and if people feel like it doesn't matter to them well sorry, everyone is not the same. Why do people need to know who "doesn't like them"? Frankly, is this high school?

MrsSpringsteen said:

Frankly, is this high school?

Frankly I see using the ignore feature as the equivalent to covering your ears and saying "na na na I cant hear you."

If you're going to put someone on ignore then you should be prepared to face the consequences of that decision.

Dusty Bottoms said:

If you're going to put someone on ignore then you should be prepared to face the consequences of that decision.

Sorry, that's just ridiculous. The mods tell people to try the ignore list when they are having problems with people rather then arguing back and forth. So people do that or choose to do it without being told and they should face consequences for that? Wow.

If you don't ignore people in your everyday life that you don't mesh with for whatever reason, well you must be a saint of some sort. Ignoring is much easier on your mental health, whether in person or online.

martha said:

And what's the point of ignoring someone here anyway?

I really don't know, seems pretty pointless to me.

And if I ever did find some reason to "ignore" someone, it would be common courtesy to let that person know that you are and why you are doing it. That way there is no confusion later on.

MrsSpringsteen said:

Frankly, is this high school?

Since I work with high school kids for a living I know they are much better at pretending to like someone when, in reality, they don't.

Who cares if someone doesn't like you? If this was the all consuming problem/worry of my day I'd be a lucky girl!

MrsSpringsteen said:

Sorry, that's just ridiculous. The mods tell people to try the ignore list when they are having problems with people rather then arguing back and forth. So people do that or choose to do it without being told and they should face consequences for that? Wow.

How about, you know, just not arguing with the person anymore? Is it that hard to just not respond to them anymore? You have to put them on a list because you don't have the willpower to ignore on your own?

Now that is what seems immature to me.

Dusty Bottoms said:

How about, you know, just not arguing with the person anymore? Is it that hard to just not respond to them anymore? You have to put them on a list because you don't have the willpower to ignore on your own?

Now that is what seems immature to me.

I really don't think that's your place to judge, people all deal with things in different ways. That's what makes people all unique. It has nothing to do with willpower. What seems immature to me is expecting people to deal with things in the way that you do and judging them accordingly :shrug:

MrsSpringsteen said:

I really don't think that's your place to judge

Oh right, but you can judge people who like the feature because they must have a "high school" mentality.

I just think it's highly amusing when grown adults can't work their way through conflict in a mature manner, rather than the "na na na i cant hear you" ignore list approach.

But even if people did hate each other so much, that there was no way they could coexist (omg a Bono teaching), wouldn't the mature way to handle it be to let the other person know you were putting them on ignore so there would be no further problems?

And if people did that, then the "who ignores me" list wouldn't be an issue at all.

Last edited:
Dusty Bottoms said:

Oh right, but you can judge people who like the feature because they must have a "high school" mentality.

I said that thinking that people need to know who doesn't like them is a high school mentality, because I think it's a high school popularity contest type of mentality. Liking the feature for popcorn drama, well I just don't get that.

And martha you already told me to grow up, I think that's enough :)

Here's the way I look at it. If you feel it neccesary to ignore someone, you should at least be prepared to have them know, otherwise it's pretty cowardly. Also the person doesn't waste their time responding to someone they don't know is ignoring them.

Personally I think the whole 'ignore' feature is silly. If you don't want to read someone's post, then just don't read it. But if you must have the feature at least let me know who's ignoring me.

Of course, this only matters for you premiums. :wink: The rest of us get to live in ignorant bliss. :drool:

My point of view is who cares if someone wants to use the ignore function. I dont see it as a bad thing. I also dont think its a bad thing to see who is ignoring you. Its an internet message board about a rock band. Lets put things in perspective.

That being said, the point is to be here to have fun and interact with other U2 fans for the most part. So if someone is disrupting that or doing nothing but creating constant negativity for you or others. I see no problem ignoring them or calling them out on their BS. There are a couple of people here that I have a geniune dislike of for several reasons. I dont have them on ignore but I cant say I havent thought about it. :shrug: I guess I would rather just confront it head on and not hide from it. But I certainly cant find fault with someone that takes the other route and uses the ignore function.

Back
Top Bottom