What is the story behind the whole "Fake Edge" fiasco?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Achtung11

The Fly
I keep seeing all these references about someone who was on this site a few years ago who pretended to be the Edge and I just want to know what the full story is. I tried doing searches throughout the forum but all I find are references to fake edge without any explanations. Would anyone be able to direct me to the right link so that I can get the full picture? I'm curious to know what happened, what kind of comments this guy made, whether people took him seriously, and why it became such a huge incident. Thanks!

Basically, the long & the short of it is this: A new member started posting with the screenname Dalkey Beach prior to HTDAAB's release. This person ultimately claimed to be Edge. Some Interference management/mods spoke with this person behind the scenes and were convinced that it was actually Edge. Once they announced that Edge really was posting on the site, people went crazy. Billions of posts were made asking questions about the upcoming album, among other things. If I remember correctly (this was before I joined, so I did a bunch of research a long time ago like you), Dalkey Beach actually only wrote a handful of posts. Some of those posts started to become snarky, and one or two were fairly negative toward a member here (one who caused many issues and has been long gone; I believe it was Jick). This raised suspicions that the person might not really be Edge. Some wise mods traced the ISP of the member to a suburb of Chicago. In the end, Fake Edge was discovered to be some random teenage girl. Once it was pointed out that she was a girl & not living on the correct continent, she got all feisty & left.

A few of the things she brought up as hints actually turned out to be true. The craziest one, IMO, is that she knew about U2 by U2 & that it was orange, black & white...back in 2004. (http://www.u2interference.com/forum...ved-2nd-confirmation-96015-5.html#post1710574). I want to say, however, that once U2 by U2 came out, someone pointed out that there was once a picture of Neil McCormick or somebody at a desk with a bookcase behind him & that U2 by U2 was on there. However, noticing that would be pretty impressive in and of itself.

No one knows who this girl was or how she got any of the information that turned out to be true.

The username Dalkey Beach was changed by mods to "db u2," at the time perhaps to ease the collective hurt ego of the site. If you want to spend a fine afternoon indoors, go to the Member Search tab at the top & search for member "db u2" and read all of the posts/threads.

Will def. do that search! Thanks for the detailed reply utoo. I know about Jick and how he always wrote about the band in a negative light. So why is it that when fake Edge said negative things about him, people became suspicious?

I'm don't blame the dalkey beach girl for being snippy with jick. I'm also on the atu2 forum, where he still currently posts, and the guy is a total debby-downer dick. WTFer, SoB.

It's weird how people got suspicious when "Edge" got snippy. Wasn't he pretty snippy in his letter to the Baltimore newspaper about U2's "tax avoidance"?

Yeah but I can understand him being snippy there. As he's probably just as tired of that whole bullshit as we are. But there's no reason for him to be snippy with his fans, which I've never actually heard of him doing.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom