vBulletin 3.0.3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Techie2000

Refugee
From what I can discern, this board currently runs on a very hacked version of vBulletin 2.x. I know 3.x has been out for a while (I use it on a board I admin, and it's used at another board I'm a member at) and I find it to be a lot nicer as far as options, load times, etc. go and I was wondering if there are any plans for an upgrade?

I dont think so, because Elvis had told me in the past that he has so many custom scripts and hacks on this version that it would take forever to redo a whole new board. Not sure though maybe he can answer this question himself.

Large portions of vbulletin that this site uses have been completely re-written, hacked, or tightly integrated into our CMS (content mgmt system).... on the flipside.... our CMS, security, and many of our administrative tools I've custom written and tie directly into the current vbulletin database structure as well as files.

That said, I'd LOVE to migrate to vb3.x.x, and re-write everything.... IF I had the time. Unfortunately... I don't have the time for taking on such a project that would involve cross analyzing thousands of lines of code, custom scripts, etc... documenting all the changes that would have to be made, and following through with making them.

elvis, have you ever thought of getting a volunteer who's good with that sorta stuff to either do it or help you with it? i'm not volunteering and i don't know anyone who wants to do, but i know you've got tons of stuff going on and maybe someone else could help?

Yes... I have thought about it... and I've actually had people volunteer to help with php/mysql.... but they've all been flakey or not knowledgeable enough.

I've done A LOT of custom stuff with this place, and to be honest... I'm not about to hand over all the code to a volunteer that a) I dont either know personally or b) doesnt have a long history with interference

If I knew PHP/MySQL, I would offer to help. However sadly at this time I do not have those skills. I've only started playing with vB on another site, and the vB3 package is nice. Thanks for the information though. Maybe one day this site will generate enough revenue for you so you can hire some professional help to migrate everything without having to take a long time to do so.

Techie2000 said:
Maybe one day this site will generate enough revenue for you so you can hire some professional help to migrate everything without having to take a long time to do so.

It would be nice... but I'm not counting on it. lol

Back
Top Bottom