User search parameter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
gabrielvox said:
Hi was just wondering, if there is the ability to search for/group users based upon geographical location?

Unfortunately not.

it wouldnt be hard to implement, though, considering it can be deduced from people's i.p. adresses.

as opposed to hotness, which is much harder to write a good search routine for.

I agree U2 man...the defining factor can't be simply "Location" as noted in users profiles, most of us if not all have some pretty crazy stuff entered there.

IP address is the way to go! :up: We should change that 'unfortunately' to a 'hell yeah!' :wink:

I dont think this would be something simple to implement nor would it even be accurate, as members do not always post from the same IP location.

Granted, but I would think that if we worked off the assumption that most people post uniquely within the Metro area they live, or more vaguely, their state/province... I mean where does everyone mostly post from - their home, work, significant others place....would have to guess that the majority of those locations would be within say 1-2 hrs drive of each other...if I'm not mistaken, the structure of the IP address protocol actually does refer to a general geographical area where the server is located..

ie...if I live in Oakville and work in downtown Toronto, no matter how different my IPs, they both trace back to the great big city called the GTA...or even more generally the province of Ontario..

just musing, I don't know all the ins and outs of ip stuff lol

:shrug:

Or maybe we just do it the manual way and make a parent section called "Where You Call Home" or something, with sub-sections by states, and within those states you could have the major cities with one general catchall for the country bumpkins

ok i'll shut up now :wink:

i'm not saying this is a bad idea, but just to give you an example:

my home ip address, when i trace it, says i'm from vallejo, ca. when i post from work, though, it says i'm from memphis, tn.

guess where i actually live :wink:

IP address is not a great way to determine this. Everyone that uses AOL usually shows up as being from Virginia.

I also would not want to automate such information, as it sorta violates people's privacy.

well maybe if in the users profile there was a place to type in your zipcode it might be able to do a search based on that?

and then if people didn't want their location known they wouldn't have to put in their zip

of course it seems like it might be a lot of work to implement that and i dont know how much it would be used

Elvis said:
IP address is not a great way to determine this. Everyone that uses AOL usually shows up as being from Virginia.

I also would not want to automate such information, as it sorta violates people's privacy.

well, it would still reveal people's nationality and tell you that the person is from the u.s., which would be fine imo, considering this is a site with users from all over the world.

revealing a nationality isnt such a big deal, if we're talking about privacy, imo.

Chizip said:
well maybe if in the users profile there was a place to type in your zipcode it might be able to do a search based on that?

and then if people didn't want their location known they wouldn't have to put in their zip

of course it seems like it might be a lot of work to implement that and i dont know how much it would be used

:up:

Dating sites (I've heard :shifty: ) for example do that whole "find users within XXX miles of you."

snowbunny00774 said:

:up:

Dating sites (I've heard :shifty: ) for example do that whole "find users within XXX miles of you."

that is, of course, what chizip has in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom