Under-age posters (U18)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zonelistener

ONE love, blood, life
what is the policy here?

I have never paid attention to it (do to my age), but I do feel way uncomfortable knowing a 13 year old is posting around when certain forums are filled with drunk threads and sexual innuendos.

signed,

~a concerned poster

Interference is a COPPA user. Which means any member who is registering (most people here will probably not remember filling this out) needs to state they are under a certain age, and then there is a process for those registrations.

If you are concerned about the content being viewed by young people, try and keep it clean. The only surefire way to guarantee content here can only be viewed by people over 18 is to request credit card confirmation of age. Which isn't going to happen as this is a music forum, not a sex site.

indeed!

Keep it clean, I will remember that. :sexywink:

The other thing that scares me is when a youngster goes and posts their whole name in a post or stuff like that. Is there anyway to contact the parents to let them know that they should monitor their children's Internet time more?

background: Early in my career, I trained parents in how to educate their children about the media, and how important it was to watch TV, surf, etc. etc. with their children.

we do try to dissuade people from posting their full contact info here. i mean, there's no space to put your real name in your profile so at least there's no worries about an 11 year old registering and thinking they need to give their full name. i know in the past if someone has used their real name as their username, we've contacted them and told them they can use a fake name, for privacy/security reasons.

ultimately it's up to the parents though to monitor their kids' internet usage. we can't be held responsible for what someone sees and says here. although if too much personal info is posted about themselves, we can edit it out at their request.

Just a question about full names. Do people actually get stalked from using their full name?

I have been researching my family tree and leaving messages on the net for years. As its family research I need to use my family name. I have never had a weirdo contact me. Perhaps its because I live too far away from most posters? (and Im old, and married, and quite often pregnant, ie not on the average stalkers hot list)

Just curious as to whether people actually do get stalked or whether it is the modern day equivalent of an old wives tale.

We hear on the news of the odd occurence of some child and an adult meeting up but usually the child has been a willing, so to speak, partner to meeting the stranger (which is a whole other argument, something Im completely against).

Just curious.

beli said:
Just a question about full names. Do people actually get stalked from using their full name?

I don't know that this counts as "stalking" but I had a load of trouble with someone I know (in real life, not online) using the internet to find out lots of private information about me. He managed to use my email address to find my AIM nickname and from that found out other nicknames I use online and then found lots of message boards I post at and even my online journal and he was reading *everything* I wrote there for months before I found out.

It wasn't that big a deal, I guess, but he did cause a lot of problems for me and it really upset me that someone who I thought was a close friend would do that. It's made me REALLY wary about posting any sort of personal information online, whether it's under a nickname or not.

Anyway. Enough of my rambling, lol. :D I'm sure there's someone a lot more computer-wise than me who can actually answer your question. :)

i've posted my full name in the past (maiden name though) and people knew the city i lived in, so they could've found out info about me. but no one ever stalked me.

i look at it like, yeah it can happen, but it's unlikely. :D

i saw we turn this into a sex site and require credit cards for age verification

maybe that would get the pussy forum more traffic at least

Jump all over me, but I don't think there's anything on this site that could corrupt a kid any more than the stuff they see all over the place. Kids are raunchy these days, from a young age. I have 3 young kids, kids are always coming over, and there are several teenagers in my family. Anyone who thinks your average 11 year old hasn't heard every cuss word in the book dozens of times, seen somewhat risque' movies, and knows where babies come from is naive. This isn't 1955. I hate to sound terrible, but that's the way it is. This site is tame compared to the world outside. Don't worry about it.

I don't know why 18 is the magic age. They know long before that, so no need to shield them. 13 is the posting age here, and if someone is 11 and lies, well they most likely aren't seeing anything they haven't before. If there are off color jokes, if they get them, they already know and they aren't corrupted. If they don't know, they won't 'get' the jokes. So no harm done.

Last edited:
I keep clear of the drunk threads too and I'm 34. :crack: ;)

But I went to high school with boys who were drunks at 15 or 16, so again, it wouldn't be shocking if they knew what was going on.

Last edited:
Man, when I was a kid, my mom kicked us out the door in the morning, gave us a sandwich and noon, and herded us back in when it got dark out. All three of us could "swim" all afternoon in a standard size cooler; we used to fight about who go to use the hose in their sprinkler the longest, not who got to choose the video game...those were the days...

Without getting into a parenting debate, I think it's the principle of the matter. Kids need to play outside or something like that, not sit in front of the computer screen all day, regardless of what they're browsing.

Last edited:
Ah, but now you're talking about the 'good old days'! How old are you? :sexywink:

:D

Marty (has the same kind of memories :))

When I were a young 'un, I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before I went to bed, eat a lump of cold poison, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad would kill us, and dance about on our graves singing "Hallelujah."

But you try and tell the young people today that... and they won't believe ya'.

at least you had a job and poison. we had dirt. dirt for breakfast (which was only once a week as we had to ration the dirt) dirt for dinner and dirt for shoes too, when times were really lean. Did you know mud does not stick to ones feet? but as my mum wold say, at least we HAD feet. hers fell off in the frostbite epidemic of 1873 and she never let us forget.

:rolleyes:

Hehe how off topic is this now :D

But to answer it in short form, Elvis has done all he can to ensure he is running a responsible site. The rest is up to the members and their care givers - if under age.

perhaps we could make it a rule that when its too raunchy for me its too raunchy for the under-aged :hmm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom