Unauthorized Use Of My Paypal Account

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zoney!

ONE love, blood, life
I have reviewed both of my profile screens on my premium membership...and NO WHERE does it say that INTERFERENCEMEDIA (whatever the fuck that is) can go and AUTOMATICALLY take $12 from my PayPal account. I have NOT authorized this...and the owner of INTERFERENCEMEDIA (again, whatever the fuck that is) WILL be reported.

I am going to assume the Interference.com is now part of whatever this INTERFERENCEMEDIA is. I have not received ANY notification that this was going to happen...it just happened. If this is the annual membership...this is HORRIBLY unprofessional...HORRIBLY.

I WANT ANSWERS AND APOLOGIES NOW!

I'm assuming maybe you're joking. If not:

Interference is a subscription, that is how you signed up via Paypal. You probably don't recall the details of the information you were given when you subscribed. It will specifically tell you you are subscribing and the payment will be deduced on a yearly basis. If you wanted to cancel your subscription you should have followed these steps

Q.How are subscriptions and recurring payments cancelled?

A.PayPal members may cancel individual subscribers from their transaction history. Your subscribers may also cancel their subscriptions by following the steps below. A subscription can be cancelled up until the day of the next scheduled payment.

Here's How:

1)Log In to your PayPal account.
2)Click the History tab.
3)Click the Details of the subscription in question.
4)Click Cancel Subscription.
5)You have successfully cancelled the subscriber's subscription.

I just reviewed my PayPal account information (covering my bases) as well as the FAQ and my premium profile...I can't find ANYTHING about authorized yearly payments.

In my PayPal account...I see this:

You do not have any Preapproved Payments billing agreements in place at this time.

Basically...INTERFERENCEMEDIA (again, I have NO clue what this is) has stolen money from me.

:down:

Listen...I feel it would be appropriate for a business to notify you BEFORE it takes money from you. No?

Sign in. Go to your history. From the drop down choose subscriptions and then put in a time frame (subscriptions with the past year). It should show up there. From there you also have the option to cancel it.

so...if I cancel this subscription...THEN someone at INTERFERENCEMEDIA (which is nothing more than a blank screen) will tell me that my premium subscription renewel will be coming up soon and I should set up a $12 payment...rather than just TAKIN the money from me.

I WANT A NOTIFICATION. Is that too much for a person to ask?

Premium membership at one point was a donation to Joel to keep the site up. A DONATION. I continue to donate and have no problem...but would appreciate if Joel would send out a NOTE to people telling his faitful bunch that the DONATION will be taken out of their account.

:down:

Ramblin' Rose is exactly right.

ramblin rose said:
I'm assuming maybe you're joking. If not:

Interference is a subscription, that is how you signed up via Paypal. You probably don't recall the details of the information you were given when you subscribed. It will specifically tell you you are subscribing and the payment will be deduced on a yearly basis. If you wanted to cancel your subscription you should have followed these steps

Q.How are subscriptions and recurring payments cancelled?

A.PayPal members may cancel individual subscribers from their transaction history. Your subscribers may also cancel their subscriptions by following the steps below. A subscription can be cancelled up until the day of the next scheduled payment.

Here's How:

1)Log In to your PayPal account.
2)Click the History tab.
3)Click the Details of the subscription in question.
4)Click Cancel Subscription.
5)You have successfully cancelled the subscriber's subscription.

A SUBSCRIPTION is just that, a subscription, which is on a monthly, yearly basis etc depending on how you sign up. This is not just an interference thing, this is a common thing all over the net on various websites. I have subscriptions via paypal to various organizations which deduct my payment as needed, unless I decide to cancel.

Just follow the instructions above if you want to cancel your subscription, and send myself or Elvis an email and I am sure it wouldnt be a problem to refund your payment if you no longer wish to be a premium member.

again...this is assuming Joel is behind InterferenceMedia (I NEVER signed up to a subscription to INTERFERENCEMEDIA). Another case where informing those who have DONATED would be a nice thing.

NOTIFICATION is the point to having happy DONATORS!

Joel should COMMUNICATE.

I have NOT seen any e-mails or PMs about a change of name or upcoming yearly deduction for more than two years.

COMMUNICATE with your "customers" is a very basic concept.

I do NOT want my Premium cancelled...I DO NOT want to have money taken from my account without any PRIOR communication.

Got it?

You're not getting it. It's a SUBSCRIPTION. Subscriptions via paypal are AUTOMATICALLY deducted from your account unless cancelled.

Got it?

I can understand your objections, but I believe this is more of a PayPal issue than an Interference issue. I subscribe to another website through PayPal and the same thing happens as here: the payment is automatically deducted with no notification until after the payment.

I think it really would be nice if PayPal had a way of warning you a week ahead of time before a scheduled payment is deducted. And maybe there is such a setting if you dig in deep enough? I don't know.

Melon

When I authorized a payment in 2003, I authorized a payment for A year-long subsription to Interference...not an opportunity for the money to be taken from me yearly without my notice.

Again (and I doubt I will hear anything from whoever InterferenceMedia is), all I want is a communication. And now a new solution to annual donations.

You are not donating at this point. If you were to 'donate' it would be that, a DONATION. A one time donation/deduction. But you SUBSCRIBED to premium membership. There is a difference.

That's the way Paypal subscriptions work. What I've found you can do (which I've done for other subscriptions I've paid for via Paypal) is as soon as you renew you can cancel it so when the next renewal period comes up you're not charged. All you need to do is keep track of your expirations so if you do want to resubscribe you can do it without it being automatically charged.

Like it was said above it's the way subscriptions on Paypal work it's not an Interference thing.

InterfereceMedia is just the name of the account, its still the same purpose, just change of name on the account for easier management. The subscription information is still the same if you open up the payment and look at it, it is still a subscription to Interference.com.

melon said:

I think it really would be nice if PayPal had a way of warning you a week ahead of time before a scheduled payment is deducted. And maybe there is such a setting if you dig in deep enough? I don't know.

Melon

There is an option to get email notifications when subscriptions are due - if you go into your account and then "profile" and then "notifications" you can select to recieve email notifications when you make a subscription payment there.

The same thing happened to me last year (or the year before? :scratch: ), and I just unsubscribed on the paypal site and emailed Elvis for a refund.

Sicy said:

Should be, I will need to confirm. But I believe the original deal was once you cancel your subscription, and it runs out you would receive 2 free months after the end date.

mine should be running out in a few weeks now, so i guess i'll go cancel it.

i had to wait an entire year to take advantage of this offer last time.

...actually, if I remember correctly...when I joined I DID see something that said that my subscription would be charge until cancelled.......which makes it easier...:up::shrug:

RedrocksU2 said:
...actually, if I remember correctly...when I joined I DID see something that said that my subscription would be charge until cancelled.......which makes it easier...:up::shrug:

You're absolutely right. I bought a subscription for someone very recently and I know is specifically gave me that notification.

melon said:

Melon

I am going to go back to the basics of customer relations....I think the organization could simply remind the one providing money for this subscription a simple note that this is coming up.

IF there is not a script...CREATE ONE. If the owner can create InterferenceMedia...or ad adbite and googleanalytics...it could be done.

:shrug:

RedrocksU2 said:

I signed up for this in 2003.

Whether I missed this or not...a simple notification would still be nice.

Meggie...you still have a premium membership...are you still paying yearly? How are you notified that your INTERFERENCE subscription needs to be renewed?

Or are people not repaying and are able to keep a premium membership (as I am learning as I talk to people). If that is the case...I WANT A REFUND!

jeff, i was aware that my membership would automatically be renewed every year unless i cancelled it, and you must have been premium a lot longer than i have. i don't understand why it came as such a shock to you. didn't it automatically renew the previous years? also, your zonelistener account was started in may, and as far as i ever knew, that's your only premium account - why is it renewing in december? do you have another premium account?

sicy, i just cancelled my subscription. can i now assume that i will remain premium until march?

zoney! said:
I am going to go back to the basics of customer relations....I think the organization could simply remind the one providing money for this subscription a simple note that this is coming up.

IF there is not a script...CREATE ONE. If the owner can create InterferenceMedia...or ad adbite and googleanalytics...it could be done.

:shrug:

The question is where such database information is stored. If Interference holds the database of when everyone's subscription expires, then maybe it could be done. However, there's also a disconnect between PayPal and Interference, particularly in dealing with the free two months for many people. So even if such a script could be written, it would likely not work for many people, as PayPal automatically deducts on the same date every year, if you haven't gone into it and changed it; and then you wouldn't get an expiration notification, because you'd still have two months left.

Anyway, ideals aside, I'd say you have two options:

1) Cancelling the subscription in PayPal and keeping track of when your Premium Membership expires, so you can sign up again before it expires.

2) Request a refund for unauthorized charges.

The simplest solution would be if PayPal did notify you x amount of days before your payout. Apparently, though, such an option is not available. The "notification" they do provide currently is once a payment has already been made. I would agree that it would be a nice service to warn you ahead of time.

Melon

bonosgirl84 said:
jeff, i was aware that my membership would automatically be renewed every year unless i cancelled it, and you must have been premium a lot longer than i have. i don't understand why it came as such a shock to you. didn't it automatically renew the previous years? also, your zonelistener account was started in may, and as far as i ever knew, that's your only premium account - why is it renewing in december? do you have another premium account?

I was NOT aware of this when I signed up in 2003. Looking at my history I had two previous cancels...I DO NOT use PayPal for ANYTHING else except this. I have never purchased anything from E-bay or any other online group.

This happened last year, and I e-mail Joel an got some crappy, unfriendly e-mail back saying "no, you authorized it." I was equally as pissed of, but decided not to go any furhter. Two days ago, I asked a friend "when are Premiums due?" I mentioned the story. Today...I find the "You have been charged" email from PayPal. Again...nothing form InterfernceMedia (I have NEVER heard of InterferenceMedia until this e-mail came - and I CERTAINLY did not authorize the organiztion to take my PayPal money...and I WILL show the history here of that) warning me of this - OR notifying me of a name change.

Again, it was my understanding when I sgined up in 2003 that I was signing up for a year-long subscription to interference.com. Not a PayPal subscription. I could have read something wrong...but there is aslo COURTESY from a service. A note. A reminder would be a nice CUSTOMER SERVICE feature.

Further...the only reason I continue to pay $12 yearly is because I would hate to lose some of the PMs from the past. I DO not pay for Private Messaging at any other site I go to. There is no clear benefit to premium membership anymore. Searching: I got mocked recently when I dida search becuase EVEYONE can see what I searched. Not cool. Mr Pussy's: I post there occasionally...but it is harldy a benefit. Signature: yes...my drooling on charlie brown. Premium is obsolete.

Joel...How about providing some value as well as customer service!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom