Unauthorized Use Of My Paypal Account

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
bonosgirl84 said:
sicy, i just cancelled my subscription. can i now assume that i will remain premium until march?

Yes. If that was your original subscription date.

It should, I'll have to find out how that works specifically.
Elvis is out for the day but I have asked him to check this thread when he gets back.

zoney! said:

Further...the only reason I continue to pay $12 yearly is because I would hate to lose some of the PMs from the past.

zoney, you can download the PMs now using the download feature (yes it works now) and from what i've experienced and understand if you miss a payment and are not premium your PMs should still remain until you decide to pay again?

Sicy said:
It's a SUBSCRIPTION. Subscriptions via paypal are AUTOMATICALLY deducted from your account unless cancelled.

That's what I understood when I signed up. I chose to sign up via PayPal vs a check is so I wouldn't have the bother sending checks every year. I do the same for subscriptions to several sites/services. I don't recall getting "your subscription is due" notices on any of them.

I think it's just a matter of reading and remembering the fine print. I'm sure it's in there. PayPal is too savvy not to have it's ass covered.

zoney! said:

I signed up for this in 2003.

Whether I missed this or not...a simple notification would still be nice.

Meggie...you still have a premium membership...are you still paying yearly? How are you notified that your INTERFERENCE subscription needs to be renewed?

Or are people not repaying and are able to keep a premium membership (as I am learning as I talk to people). If that is the case...I WANT A REFUND!

I paid last year. I just paid using a different paypal account because my old paypal account was linked to my US bank account. I don't think I ever got anything saying my subscription needed to be renewed; I just remembered that I subscribed sometime around January whatever year it was when premium memberships began.

ABEL said:

zoney, you can download the PMs now using the download feature (yes it works now) and from what i've experienced and understand if you miss a payment and are not premium your PMs should still remain until you decide to pay again?

I'll check into that!

Thank you ABEL!

Facts:

To become a Premium Member at Interference.com you begin by going to http://www.interference.com/subscriptions/

There you will find the following information:
Subscribe to Interference.com's Forum - $12 (US) per year** or $2 (US) per month

When subscribing to Interference.com's Forum, you become a Premium member.

Interference.com is a FAN operated web site, and your Premium Membership subscription will help keep the site running. We appreciate your support!

Premium members are entitled to:
Use all public forums (posting and reading)
View members info/profiles
Download attachments
View attached pictures
Search the forum
Can use 'email to friend' feature
Can post attachments / pictures
Can post polls
Can use Private Messaging
Can use Message Tracking
Can View Who's Online
Can Store Photos in the Gallery (Great for sharing Tour photos, as well as any other photos you want to post on the forum!)
... as well as other present and future features.

Click Here to subscribe Yearly

Click Here to subscribe Monthly

Click Here for PayPal Subscription cancellation info

Once choosing a yearly or monthly membership, on the following page you enter your username and proceed to the PayPal processing page which clearly states:

Subscription To: Interference.com Forum
User Name: your username here

Subscription Terms: $12.00 USD for each year

Note: Your subscription will automatically renew at the rates stated above unless you cancel prior to the end of the billing period.

OR

Subscription To: Interference.com Forum
User Name: your username here

Subscription Terms: $2.00 USD for each month

Note: Your subscription will automatically renew at the rates stated above unless you cancel prior to the end of the billing period.

The terms on these pages have not changed. PayPal subscriptions are a feature of PayPal and controlled by PayPal. Interference.com has no way of sending out automatic renewal reminders. It is your responsibility to read the terms of the subscription when you subscribed -- it wasn't fine print, as you can see in my examples.

Premium Memberships are and have never been a donation.

Premium Memberships were created because donations were not a feasible way of sustaining the site on an ongoing basis.

"InterferenceMedia" is the name now used on the PayPal account instead of just 'Joel Tanner'. This was a result of upgrading the PayPal account to a business account.

Each transaction, including membership renewals, clear states in PayPal what it's for. In this case it would most likely say "Interference.com Forum" and also has a link to the subscription within your account. It would be wise to actually log into PayPal and check your transaction history before making accusations like 'unauthorized use'.

Other answers to questions:

There currently are several members which subscriptions HAVE EXPIRED yet they are still set to Premium Members on the forum. This will soon change and actually the result of a bookkeeping error on my part. Once I've reconciled the accounting (very soon!) these members will lose their Premium Membership unless they renew.

PMs are stored even if Premium Membership is not renewed and can be accessed once you renew. This policy may change at anytime.

The free offer to current subscribers was a one time deal. It applied ONCE. Basically, if you've been a current member, and your membership hasnt lapsed since that time, you will still have that 'time' on your membership once your paid subscription expires.

There are no refunds. This is stated on the subscription pages. From time to time I do extend someone a refund based on the circumstances (ie. someone subscribed twice for the same username), however this is entirely at my sole discretion.

Interference.com/InterferenceMedia/myself are not responsible for subscriber oversight (ie. not reading the terms, forgetting to cancel, forgetting to renew, not having enough money in a bank account/credit card/paypal account, not having internet connectivity, computer problems, etc)

Joel

Elvis said:

The free offer to current subscribers was a one time deal. It applied ONCE. Basically, if you've been a current member, and your membership hasnt lapsed since that time, you will still have that 'time' on your membership once your paid subscription expires.

My sub expired in November, and I'm still a Premium due to this. :up:

I had to change my credit card Number on PayPal due to a compromise of the number completely unrelated to anything here. Like an idiot, when PayPal asked me about subscriptions, I said no, completely forgetting about Interference. Fortunately, the free two months has kicked in. I'll resubscribe in January, a much easier month to remember.

Thank you Joel...still a few questions not addressed. I will create a new thread so you can address those questions (that are seperate from this issue).

~Jeff

zoney! said:
Thank you Joel...still a few questions not addressed. I will create a new thread so you can address those questions (that are seperate from this issue).

~Jeff

Jeff,

I believe I've covered all your questions that you've asked in this thread, as well as other's.

Prior to asking more questions in the forum, please see if you can find the answers you're seeking in the FAQ, subscription pages, or existing threads. If you still can't find what you're looking for, myself, a mod, or admin would be happy to assist.

Joel

Just a quick point:

The book-keeping errors could have been prevented with a log of when memberships are up...and a reminder to your customers that their memberships are up...whether they are on a PayPal subscription or not.

We are in fact now your customers, Joel. And I would like to be treated as a customer. After all, this is not a donation...this is a service.

I often get the feeling from you (and this has been a conversation with quite a few of the interferencers I have had the honor of meeting) that you do not treat us as "customers."

Just something to think about in the future as we keep this site funded for not only our pleasure, but for the non-premiums.

zoney! said:
Just a quick point:

The book-keeping errors could have been prevented with a log of when memberships are up...and a reminder to your customers that their memberships are up...whether they are on a PayPal subscription or not.

We are in fact now your customers, Joel. And I would like to be treated as a customer. After all, this is not a donation...this is a service.

I often get the feeling from you (and this has been a conversation with quite a few of the interferencers I have had the honor of meeting) that you do not treat us as "customers."

Just something to think about in the future as we keep this site funded for not only our pleasure, but for the non-premiums.

The nature of the book-keeping errors really arent of your concern, but were due to a crashed hard drive.

I have no intent on emailing people on an indivutal basis to let them know their subscription is going to renew/expire. That would take an incredible amount of time. If people want to be Premium Members, they'll make sure their subscription doesn't lapse, or renew it when they are ready.

I'm glad you now understand that Premium Membership is not a donation. I am providing a service at a VERY minimal cost to you, the member. This cost helps pay the expenses of running this site, not a Customer Care department. Myself, the admins, and mods do our best in the time we have to reply to everyone's questions and assist them with their problems. If you are unsatisfied with this site, I have only two suggestions: 1) Get all members to agree to pay a substantial amount more so that we can pay someone full time to reply to people who don't know how to read, jump to conclusions, and make false accusations, OR 2) Don't renew. Be a 'free' member here, and enjoy not paying a dime.

If you're here to complain, whine, make accusations, Interference really doesn't need your money. My time, like everyone elses' that helps run this place, is on a voluntary basis... and right now I feel that my valuable free time is being spent replying to your never-ending bitching.

As a side note, I find it incredibly ironic that you're now complaining about an automatic paypal renewal in 2005... when you first subscribed n 2003... wouldnt that mean you've ALREADY AUTO-RENEWED LAST YEAR (2004)?

Indeed, it does. You originally subscribed on Dec. 11, 2003 (with Subscription Terms:
$12.00 USD for each year ) and an auto-renewal payment was processed on Dec. 11, 2004. This auto-renewal process shouldn't be a surprise to you!

The real problem here is that you started this thread either due to your own forgetfullness, or with malice. In regards to malice, I say that with some merit as you actually did purposefully start this thread in the wrong forum. I've addressed all of your questions and concerns in a very clear and complete manner, yet you still find it hard to just walk away from this. Admitting your error, not mine, or the site's, and aplogizing for your said accusations would be appropriate. Of course, seeing as though you are stuck on having the last word, I highly doubt that will ever happen.

Joel

Thanks for proving my point on "customer service" and YOUR attitude towards your customers that continually pay despite knowing that a free membership is out there. This is the type of THANKS we get from you for helping provide this serivce. Its just WRONG!

:down:

I e-mailed you last year after the money was deducted. I got a short, rude repsonse saying "this is for your subscription that YOU signed up for." No explanation like this year (payPal, etc.). Again, it was my understanding that I was paying for a single year subscription to your service. Your response made me (again, your CUSTOMER), angry. Instead of trying to argue with you...I just figured I would ignore it.

Not only do we pay for your site, but you also use us as research. You use Adbite and Google Analytics to track our movements on the site...allowing you to solicite adverstisers. You also deliver us (a captive audience) to TotalTickets.com (I thought I heard this might be your employer - the reason for your cross-country relocation???).

My point is...your customer not only gives you money...but it creates opportunities for you through loyalty. Loyal customers allows you some opportunity to deliver us to adverstisers.

A lot of people are afraid of you. All I want is for you to treat us with a little respect and appreciation for what we are able to provide to you.

zoney! said:
Thanks for proving my point on "customer service" and YOUR attitude towards your customers that continually pay despite knowing that a free membership is out there. This is the type of THANKS we get from you for helping provide this serivce. Its just WRONG!

:down:

I e-mailed you last year after the money was deducted. I got a short, rude repsonse saying "this is for your subscription that YOU signed up for." No explanation like this year (payPal, etc.). Again, it was my understanding that I was paying for a single year subscription to your service. Your response made me (again, your CUSTOMER), angry. Instead of trying to argue with you...I just figured I would ignore it.

Not only do we pay for your site, but you also use us as research. You use Adbite and Google Analytics to track our movements on the site...allowing you to solicite adverstisers. You also deliver us (a captive audience) to TotalTickets.com (I thought I heard this might be your employer - the reason for your cross-country relocation???).

My point is...your customer not only gives you money...but it creates opportunities for you through loyalty. Loyal customers allows you some opportunity to deliver us to adverstisers.

A lot of people are afraid of you. All I want is for you to treat us with a little respect and appreciation for what we are able to provide to you.

Wow, I love conspiracy theories. Adbite and Google Analytics do not track users on a personally indentifiable basis. They allow me to see what parts of the site are popular, functioning, or not functioning, etc. These services are online counterparts to software that has been used on web servers for years. Studying user behavior, browsers, and operating systems used allows me to refine the site as time goes on. By trade I'm an SEO/SEM/IT consultant and have various clients across the country (most of which I currently am under an NDA with). Fortunately this allows me to live, and work from, where I desire. If you really want the juicy gossip ... My best friend, since age 4, moved to south florida, after visiting him a few times, I decided I needed a change (and liked it here) and made the same move.

I really don't need you to explain to me how a web site, membership, loyalty, marketing, and advertising work.

And once again, you've completely strayed off the path of your original topic of this thread.

Jeff, if you don't like it here, no one is holding a gun to your head. Thanks for wasting my time, just like you did with that birthday non-sense I had to warn you about recently. You really should know better.

And I am closing this thread because it's topic has been addressed and it is now completely off course. If you wish to continue this discussion with me, please feel free to email me.

Joel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom