Trouble with the forum?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks to it saying the last read post in this thread for me was on page 4, I accidentally re-read some posts in this thread from a few days ago. I see the go-to action when someone has a complaint to the owner of this site is for him to be a jackass. Good to know.

I'm telling you its not cool to call the website owner a jackass. I don't see how he was ridiculing anyone. He apologized for the trouble. So I guess he's not allowed to joke around (hence winking smilie) and anyone else can feel free to bitch at him and that's ok.

You shouldn't bullshit with your customers like that (and, considering how little he interacts with the members on this forum, salesman is precisely the role he plays) if you expect them to return. Suggesting, even jokingly, that he would rather hand out a refund than have to hear any complaints/do his job is irresponsible. It was a stupid remark, and he should be called out on it. No harm in that, we've all said boneheaded things, including Ashley just now. "Jackass" isn't exactly helpful to anyone. However, when you're in a place of power, it kind of undermines your credibility.

I'm sorry, but a car that goes down a couple minutes a day is a lemon. You could drive the fucker 24 hours a day, but those couple of minutes could make all the difference in the wrong situation. Is that hyperbolic? Yes. But, by the same token, I'm glad that I haven't resubscribed, honestly. Offer a functioning product and I would have more incentive to do so.

Love the people here, but every third post offers me a different kind of headache.

You make valid points and I agree with most of it, as I can relate to the headaches with all the trouble the forum has been having. I've expressed it a few times in this thread. It's much more productive to explain your thoughts and frustrations in an adult manner as you did than to simply call him a jackass. I'm sorry but I just didnt feel that that was an appropriate way to get the point across.

I also wrote that post in about 3 seconds, and while I still feel the same way, no it wasn't the best way to sum it up.

I'm tired of the blank white screens, this has been going on for a lot longer than a few weeks. This inability to see what posts I've already read has actually caused me to not visit the site except for a couple of threads I go to regularly enough to know what I've already read. And I'm also tired of how little gets done around here when things are always taken as good suggestions you tell us you'll talk to Andy about (re: Mobile Version of Website).

And when Andy does show up, that's how he talks to someone? I honestly don't believe it's ok to joke around with someone that pays you in a way that suggests, "if you've got a problem with it, just leave."

I assume you're all talking about Andy's response to me?

I wrote my original post in bemused frustration. I wasn't seriously angry, because after all, who writes a serious post of complaint, and then signs it "Love, [whoever] xoxo?" No one. Also, I tend to use the :angry: smiley in a joking way, to express faux anger. But yeah, I was mildly irritated with the site by then.

I was sort of taken aback by his reply. It started out nice enough, and then it was all "But..." It basically sounded to me like he was telling me to be satisfied with the rate that the site has been operating at, to stfu and quit complaining, and if I didn't like it, here's my money, and there's the door. I thought it was a little assy, too. In all fairness though, I don't know Andy, and maybe that wasn't his intention. Whatever the case, since then, I've been spending less time around here, too.

Oh, and about putting up with ads? I'm sure we're all familiar with Ad Block. So that's not even an issue.

Ashley, Travis, thanks for the support.

Having barely been on the site in recent weeks (ok, make that months), I obviously cannot comment on its problems as I haven't had to deal with them. However, in my recent wanderings, I have noticed some random quirks that I've just ignored.

But, that's besides the point. Tonight I was bored and decided to skim some recent threads, and I too was taken aback by Andy's response to VP. I give him the benefit of the doubt that he didn't intend it to sound the way it did....but that doesn't change its inappropriate tone. And I will say it's not the first time I've felt he's responded in such a manner to people's queries/complaints. Again, perhaps that's just the way he is, but with so little interaction with him, it's hard to judge.

And do *not* get me started on the ads.

:twocents:

Sorry if my reply was interpreted as not caring, that's 100% not the case. I understand your frustration and share it with you. The server admins did not work over the weekend so they were unable to address the session issue until yesterday.

My offering a refund was not intended to sound rude but was meant as a sincere offer if you are displeased with the service of the site. I appreciate your support through upgrades, it means a lot and helps keep the site running, we barely cover our hosting and maintenance costs. Even more so, I appreciate your patience when we have downtime and your understanding that everyone makes mistakes and we try to correct them as soon as possible.

I appreciate your support through upgrades, it means a lot and helps keep the site running, we barely cover our hosting and maintenance costs.

from late 2008:

We are currently losing money every month so the costs to run the site are negative.

baby steps, sounds like things are getting better at least?

I just realized I havent had any issues at all for over a week. Thanks for fixing whatever was broke!

so this problem started out with a few broken image links, but now it's happening to all of the forum.

white background, broken image links everywhere.

screenshot20100530at709.png

all other sites i'm using, including ones with vbulletin forum software are working fine.

Still getting e-mail notifications

i turned them off

I deleted your subscriptions. You have it set to receive subscriptions but with no email notification so I'm assuming you get them via cp but you may have also had some old ones set to email. Let me know if you are still receiving emails.

I have the same problem Ian had. Though it's an on and off thing. Blue crack turns white, all fancy stuff is red x and no proper forum look either. Right now it's blue again, yet some buttons don't appear. For instance under Sicy's name in the post above this one there's a Yahoo icon, but the one left of it(msn?) doesn't appear.
There's a button that states she's offline, but the report button next to it is a weird tiny red x thingy. Most things in the quick reply box work, except for understrike and insert image buttons.

:huh: Is this my pc freaking out?

It looks like it's not downloading the CSS file which has all the style definitions. This is being served through a Content Delivery Network (CDN) to make it faster for our members who are dispersed all over the world. Sometimes the CDN has to refresh and pull the file from our server. If you get that white page, press F5 on your browser.

Since you are in New Zealand this CDN should increase the speed of Interference for you since it will pull files from a local server instead of waiting for the files to arrive from the USA. Unfortunately every so often they have to sync up and that's probably what's causing this issue.

If after pressing F5 once or twice it still does not work, please report back here.

I'm having the exact same problem that GG is describing. Refreshing doesn't help - the pages never do fully load. For example, I'm typing this while this page isn't even fully loaded, and I've been waiting several minutes for it to finish loading.

All other websites seem to be fine for me.

Just wanted to let you know that it's still happening, and has happened to some degree each time I've tried to load a page for the past hour and a half. Refreshing definitely isn't resolving anything for me. And I can see from the bottom left hand corner of my browser that it is that cdn.interference.com thing that's attempting to load.

For me it wouldn't help if I refreshed, but after a while it went away by itself.. after 30 minutes. Strange it takes so long for you VP. Maybe something's wrong with this CDN thingy?\

ETA it's happening again RIGHT NOW!

And now, 2 minutes later, it's over. These things seem to come and go, which is strange as I've never had problems like this before.

Seems like it. At first I thought it was me, I was having speed issues earlier in the week, but I fixed them days ago. I don't think that's the case now though, because every other site I've been to has been fine.

The funny thing is, I see the time that you posted about this earlier today. I was on here 15 minutes before that, and it was fine for me then.

And btw, it took me forever to even navigate back to this thread to reply just now.

Back
Top Bottom