trolling on interference

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Salome

you are what you is
I've been on this forum for ..... umm, I would have to check my profile
but I still don't really know what is considered trolling around here

I checked the f.a.q. and there it says:
Trolling: Intentionally disrupting a forum by posting obviously inaccurate or inflammatory information and/or hoping to get a rise out of people. The perpetrators are known as "trolls". This also may also apply to our members who decide to 'troll' other forums. Should this lead to problems on OUR forum because of it, you may be banned.

though all of this seems pretty straightforward
I guess I'd like to know what would be considered "hoping to get a rise out of people"

personally I would reckon that someone how joins to a U2 forum with a sole purpose to piss all over what U2 is doing, plans to do, might be doing, could be doing and has done would fall under this category

I don't think any of us really has a problem to seperate "criticism" from "trying to be an annoying arse"
so it should be a problem that could be (and according to the forum rules 'should be') solved rather quickly

/ramble

so my question is
how is the f.a.q./forum rule re. trolling interpreted by mods and admins?

Salome said:

personally I would reckon that someone how joins to a U2 forum with a sole purpose to piss all over what U2 is doing, plans to do, might be doing, could be doing and has done would fall under this category

Nope, this is not categorized as 'trolling' in the FAQ. It has a separate entry:

If you register on this forum solely to say negative things about U2 or other members of the forum, you will be immediately banned.

Well that would still be trolling as well.. I think that's just a more obvious form of trolling, hence why its not exactly in the trolling section of the FAQs.

I guess I'd like to know what would be considered "hoping to get a rise out of people"

I would say one example would be purposely posting something negative, knowing that the replies would cause an argument. This would also mean that the person may not actually think that way about the band/etc but that they are only posting it to cause shit.

Sicy said:
I would say one example would be purposely posting something negative, knowing that the replies would cause an argument. This would also mean that the person may not actually think that way about the band/etc but that they are only posting it to cause shit.

Erm... isn't this what's often going on in the FYM forum? Lots of threads (and posts) are made just to get a rise out of people, often deliberately referring to inaccurate sources, etc.

Well that's what the report post button is for.

The mods review all reported posts and decide if action needs to be taken or not.

On the topic of reporting posts, I’ve only ever reported two posts. One time I got an email response and the other time I didn’t. I don’t know what the usual procedure is.

The first time I was surprised to get an email, and didn’t feel like it was necessary for a mod to email me and let me know they were looking into the matter I reported. The second time, I didn’t get any response, so I wasn’t sure if that meant I shouldn’t have use the “report this post” button in that situation.

So does the person who reported the post typically get a response or not?

pattip2000 said:
The first time I was surprised to get an email, and didn’t feel like it was necessary for a mod to email me and let me know they were looking into the matter I reported.

The mods dont normally reply to the person that reported the post, so if you dont get a reply it doesnt mean you did or didnt do something wrong. I actually think its courteous for the mods to reply if they need to clarify something or just let you know we are looking into it :confused:

I agree with you, it’s nice to get some sort of acknowledgment of what you reported; I was just surprised to get it, that’s all. Than when I didn't get any response in the second case I didn't know why or if I had done something wrong in reporting it.

Why don't we just get rid of the :rolleyes: smiley? It seems weird to have a smiley that you can only use in a rude way, when we are not supposed to be rude on the board.

Last edited:
U2Man said:
Why don't we just get rid of the :rolleyes: smiley? It seems weird to have a smiley that you can only use in a rude way, when we are not supposed to be rude on the board.

:rolleyes:

But then we'd have to get rid of all my favorites too such as:

:happy:

:|

:tsk:

:p

We're not getting rid of any smilies.

Anyway I think we're starting to get off topic now and I believe the questions have been answered.

Salome, if you have more questions you can always pm me :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom