Thread ratings: important feature or a nuisance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zoney!

ONE love, blood, life
I come into this thread both as a long time victim and a perpetrator.

I am really questioning the need for for the thread ratings (stars). I see people rate threads low because they don't like the thread starter...or it may be a poster's personal opinion on the topic at hand...or, you can go into a whole set of discussion topics and rate every thread (including ones about serious topics such as death, etc. and make them one star :down: ).

This can add humor to a situation, but for the most part, I think it is taken personally and leads to unneeded hurt feelings and contempt against other (unkown?) community members. It adds to unneeded division in what I see as a very tight online community.

I feel it is a REALLY silly little feature that adds NOTHING to the site.

I am calling for the banishment of the thread raitings!

a good example....lets see how long it takes people to come in here to this thread and rate it one star!

This thread could be a PERFECT example of my cause.

I don't know if the ratings system needs to be banished, but I have noted people giving a one star to a thread and the only reason for this that I can tell is purely to be mean.

No one has to like all threads here, but giving one star because you don't like the thread (sometimes just the thread subject) is pretty damned juvenile.

indeed...and people take it personally. Why should we have hurt feelings due to people being juvenile?

As long as it is a feature, people will be juvenile, and people will take a one star thread to heart.

i agree. for example, it seems every duran duran thread that crops up ends up with a one or two star rating. i know the band's not well-loved, but good god, if you don't like the band, is it that hard to ignore the thread? :eyebrow:

i first noticed the one-star spamming in pleba a couple days ago when someone pointed it out to me. this is just my opinion as a private citizen and not as a mod, but to me that's the same as trolling. rating a bunch of threads one star is the same as going in and posting "this thread sux lol" to me.

and now i've noticed it on a lot of the chat threads. so the only thing i can figure is it's the people who've been so vocal about how much these threads suck. and if it's that bloody hard for you to ignore a thread (and honestly, given that every single person doesn't post in every single thread, this should mean we all do some ignoring of certain threads that don't interest us for whatever reason) then i'm sorry.

it would be a nice feature (that i know will never happen, but is possible) if everyone (or at least premium members) could see who gave the threads what rating. it's all too easy to rate 20 threads in a forum one star and move on, if your name will appear that you did it, it brings about some accountability.

KhanadaRhodes said:
i agree. for example, it seems every duran duran thread that crops up ends up with a one or two star rating. i know the band's not well-loved, but good god, if you don't like the band, is it that hard to ignore the thread? :eyebrow:

One of your Duran Duran threads was one I first thought of when I posted earlier. I can't quite understand the animosity. I personally don't pay too much attention to the number of stars a thread gets, but I think if a number of my threads consistantly got one star ratings I'd feel a bit slighted.

indra said:
One of your Duran Duran threads was one I first thought of when I posted earlier. I can't quite understand the animosity. I personally don't pay too much attention to the number of stars a thread gets, but I think if a number of my threads consistantly got one star ratings I'd feel a bit slighted.
yeah, although luckily it's not just the ones i've started so i don't take it personally. and it's not just the duran duran threads that it's happening to. but still, i just don't understand what people's problems are and why they have to rate threads they personally don't like one star, just because. :shrug:

uhoh....someone didn't much like this thread..... :mad: it's losing stars.

i have never noticed stars and don't even know how to rate threads :reject: but now that I know about it I will say that I think it's a pointless feature :wink:

I actually keep bugging Elvis to get rid of this feature but for some reason he thinks its 'beneficial' if used properly.

Yeah well rarely is it used properly lol.

I agree with Elvis. If it is used properly, it is handy. FYM is not a good example, but by some well written titles, you can sometimes envision the type of thread it will become, from fighting or whatever, and a single star indicates to me that the fight has already broken out and is therefore not worth reading.

This of course, is not really using it properly. If Elvis is not willing to remove it, perhaps keeping an eye on who rates things and for what purpose might help. Abusing the stars and ratings is the same as abusing any other feature. I cant remember if it is possible for admins to see who rates things. Im thinking not, and to add it would be a headache not worth it in the end.

If only people would use common sense and use it for things which are either a pleasure to read, informative, or beneficial in some way to those who might open it.
:slant:

Angela Harlem said:
I agree with Elvis. If it is used properly, it is handy. FYM is not a good example, but by some well written titles, you can sometimes envision the type of thread it will become, from fighting or whatever, and a single star indicates to me that the fight has already broken out and is therefore not worth reading.

Ooohh, but the fights are what make FYM so much fun. :shifty: :reject:

:D

why do poeple value this feature so much anyweay?
i ahvent read this entire threasd as im at the office :sneak:

If someone rates a thread one star, they should post in the thread explaining why. A thread I started today in ZC got rated one star earlier and I don't know what the problem was with it.

i rate threads because of the topic. or the irony of the topic and the thread starter. i love the rating feature. keep it.

inmyplace13 said:
If someone rates a thread one star, they should post in the thread explaining why. A thread I started today in ZC got rated one star earlier and I don't know what the problem was with it.

They should...but they don't and wouldn't. I doubt anyone would ever say "I am posting this because you are the poster and I do.do not like you."

Again...proving my point of the rating system having NO use. Instead of "hiding" behind a silly rating (and again, I have been a victim and a perp here), just come out and voice your opinion in the thread - or are you afraid?

IMP13 makes a good point...make a person "post" in order to "rate" a thread. This would scare people of from raitng a thread negatively do to a thread starter.

think about it...if someone were to rate a thread one star, and THEN explain why...probably because of some petty shit, then it would get a lot of threads closed.

We may be able to make it so that everyone will see who rated the thread and how many stars. :mac:

icelle said:
think about it...if someone were to rate a thread one star, and THEN explain why...probably because of some petty shit, then it would get a lot of threads closed.

my point exactly...it is a worthless feature right now, often used in a negative way.

Why keep things that may cause pain to others? :shrug:

its the equivelent of saying you cant voice your opinion because it may cause pain to others.

i'd rather voice my opinion by rating threads than getting it closed.

thats just me tho.

im sure others feel differently.

Sicy said:
We may be able to make it so that everyone will see who rated the thread and how many stars. :mac:

uhoh...I guess I better stop sneaking around giving everything one star ratings then. :shifty:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom