Thread ratings: important feature or a nuisance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Some facts....

BOTH individuals that have done this will soon realize they've been caught red handed.

It is VERY easy for me to see who rates threads, what threads, etc.

I am the ONLY one that can see who rates threads, for now.

IF this happens again, regardless of if it's the same people or not, it will be a serious consideration for being banned from site.

My comments...

To have two long standing members of this forum act like childish trolls is completely embarrassing, to them. I'm sure they'll appreciate that for now Sicy and I have decided not to 'out' them in public.... despite the fact that they completely deserve whatever harassment they'd get from the PLEBAn's.

I'm very disappointed.

Joel

That kind of stuff with thread rating has happened in here plenty of times before, granted not to that extent but it has.

I think the ratings should just be eliminated, clearly some people feel compelled to be childish and annoying about it.

MrsSpringsteen said:
That kind of stuff with thread rating has happened in here plenty of times before, granted not to that extent but it has.

I think the ratings should just be eliminated, clearly some people feel compelled to be childish and annoying about it.

The abusers will go before the ratings go. I don't give in to forum 'terrorists' ;)

If they are compelled to be childish, they must also be compelled to get kicked outta here... and I'll make sure that happens.

Joel

In certain forums this is way more hurtful than others. For example, some people work really hard on things such as wallpapers and icons and yes, though I know some people think it silly, Fan fiction... in cases like that, it feels very much like a personal attack. I feel the need to mention it because the people who are rating threads low with no comment are just being mean. there are no two ways around that. They are demeaning something someone has done to express themselves without having the courage or respect to even say why.

I think that in order to rate a thread you should have to be able to explain your reasoning, at least.

And I wanted to say thank you for not simply blowing this off, as well, to Elvis and Sicy and the others who have spoken up :)

Ok, well I will confess to being the "terrorist." It was I who orchestrated the whole thing, so you can put all the blame on me. Annnnnnnyway, I think some people are making a bigger deal out of it than it really is. I mean they are just pictures of stars next to threads, if you're biggest concern is pictures of stars next to threads then you have a pretty good life.

First, this was not a personal attack against anyone as it was done to evvvvvery thread. So if you feel personally attacked, please don't.

Second, this was not really even an attack against PLEBA. I have nothing against PLEBA, sure I roll my eyes every now and then, but I understand band drooling has its place. So I'm fine with PLEBA.

So then why do it you ask? Don't you love rating threads and have your rating be the one that makes the stars appear? It's exciting. Anyway, yes I was bored last night and couldn't sleep, so I thought, hey let's go rate some threads and see what pops up. Did I get a little out of hand, sure, but that's what boredom does to a person.

Like I said, it was not intended to offend anyone, and if it did, then I apologize. It's just cool to see a whole page of threads rated with stars, that was the main reason for it. Who doesn't like a night sky full of stars? It's beautiful.

Anyway you can yell at me now if you wish.

Oh, as if we hadn't guessed that :tsk:

Now, if you want to provide us with some new information, you'll tell us who your partner in crime was. :wink:

You do realise that abuse of thread ratings is an offense punishable by castration don't you? It's in the rules (they used invisible type because they didn't want to scare all the guys away, but it's still there).

Soooo...when are you going in for your "emergency testosterone reduction surgery?"

:wink:

U2Man said:
Oh, as if we hadn't guessed that :tsk:

Now, if you want to provide us with some new information, you'll tell us who your partner in crime was. :wink:

it was fake edge

I'd just like to make two points here.

1. What if someone did genuinely think each thread is worth only one star? Are they still a "forum terrorist" just for exercising a feature that is designed to allow them to give their opinion on a thread?
2. If someone had gone around rating each thread five stars, I'm sure people would be wondering what "wonderful" person did that. Hypocrisy, anyone? Is an opinion on a thread's rating only valid if someone's being positive? What's wrong with negative opinions; do we all need to be protected from the big bad people who don't think like us?

Axver said:

2. If someone had gone around rating each thread five stars, I'm sure people would be wondering what "wonderful" person did that. Hypocrisy, anyone? Is an opinion on a thread's rating only valid if someone's being positive? What's wrong with negative opinions; do we all need to be protected from the big bad people who don't think like us?

this is a very compelling point. :up:

Axver said:
I'd just like to make two points here.

1. What if someone did genuinely think each thread is worth only one star? Are they still a "forum terrorist" just for exercising a feature that is designed to allow them to give their opinion on a thread?

Whether or not the threads were rated 1 star or 5, it is still a form of trolling, which is not allowed here. They did not do it to actually rate their opinion on each thread, they did it because they were 'bored'.

Ok, wel what if I went around and rated every game and chat thread 1 star. I'd probably be banned for terrorism or something. But to me each of those threads are 1 star threads. So would I get banned if I went and voted how I honestly felt? Isn't that what the rating system is for?

And actually, to me Fan Fic threads are all 1 star threads to me too. No offense to anybody who writes it or loves to read it, if they love it great. But to me, I'd honestly vote them 1 star.

So can I have access back to the Fan Fic forum since I gave my true feelings there?

Sicy said:

Whether or not the threads were rated 1 star or 5, it is still a form of trolling, which is not allowed here. They did not do it to actually rate their opinion on each thread, they did it because they were 'bored'.

But what if someone did do that to convey their opinion, rather than just being bored? I feel the same way as Chizip does about fanfic - in fact, I think one star is too good for that stuff.

Or what if someone hates sport and gives one star to all the PEUP threads? That's their honest opinion, but are they still a "forum terrorist" and a "troll" according to you? At what point does rating threads go from being permissible to trolling?

I imagine this has already been mentioned before and I'm not all that familiar with rating threads (hell, even when I plan to rate one I generally forget :rolleyes: ), but I think you should have to actually post in a thread to be able to rate it. Is that the way it is now, or can you rate one without posting in it?

And I also think how you rate a thread should show up in the thread, if that is possible. What would be perfect (to me anyway) is if you want to rate a thread, you have to post a reply and the rating you make would show up in that reply. If you have an opinion you feel compelled to make you should have the guts to stand behind it.

If it's a lot of work to make happen though, it's not really worth it. But it would be nice if it was easy. :)

I think more than a few people around here want to rate the entire PLEBA board with one star. Maybe that just would have been easier :wink: , but not as entertaining.

I still don't see how anyone's feeling could be crushed about getting one star. At least they have little gold stars.
I never got any gold stars in elementary school. I was deprived. And look what happened to me.
I want a gold star. :sad:
It's making me entire life a sham. No rewards for my work. :sad:
One star is better than none. :wink:

indra said:
If you have an opinion you feel compelled to make you should have the guts to stand behind it.

If it's a lot of work to make happen though, it's not really worth it. But it would be nice if it was easy. :)

That's a great idea. I've never paid much attention to the ratings, however. I think the only one I did rate (and rate highly) was the O RLY thread....:drool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom