The title of this Forum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gvox

Ghost of Love
I'm having very mixed thoughts coming into this forum regularly and seeing "Sunday Bloody Sunday" being used as the title.

If I take it one way, I see the US playing the heavy and killing innocent civilians as did the Brits in 1972.

SO in that extreme comparison maybe it's entirely appropriate after all.

But my gut leaves me feeling like we are taking a very serious topic, that of the problems in Northern Ireland, in vain by comparing it to the situation with Iraq.

Anyone? Or maybe the creator could offer some rationale?

Well in advance I suggest the title could be "ZOO Part 2" or maybe "Zoo Redux"..

Cool..no diff to me..

My Zoo reference I think fits more appropriately, given that Iraq part one was the thing during the Zoo tour..so we could be entering a new stage of Zoo-ness.

Welcome to the Zoo, y'all..

gabrielvox said:
I'm having very mixed thoughts coming into this forum regularly and seeing "Sunday Bloody Sunday" being used as the title.

If I take it one way, I see the US playing the heavy and killing innocent civilians as did the Brits in 1972.

SO in that extreme comparison maybe it's entirely appropriate after all.

But my gut leaves me feeling like we are taking a very serious topic, that of the problems in Northern Ireland, in vain by comparing it to the situation with Iraq.

Anyone? Or maybe the creator could offer some rationale?

Well in advance I suggest the title could be "ZOO Part 2" or maybe "Zoo Redux"..

Usually we name forums after something of significance to the topic in relation to U2.....

Sunday Bloody Sunday is something that stirs up A LOT of emotion, and is surrounded by violence, politics, and controversy....

Don't you think that fits?

I think in that sense there is a correlation in that the two are violent controversial and usually invoke impassioned arguments..

Whereas the appropriateness is what I question, put it to you this way its something thats very painful for people of Irish descent to think about, and the topic of Iraq is volatile on its own without heaping the added imagery of the Irish tragedy in 1972 on top of it.

Then again, U2 had a laugh at themselves by having John Madden make a pun of the title during the Stuck video so maybe I'm just oversensitive.

Also I dont see anyone else upset by it too much...:shrug:

I dunno...

I just feel like I'm entering another Zoo era...like Im watching CNN reruns or something...

Hmmm..isn't there a song off the Joshua tree that has more to do with US Bombing? Is that in use?

Sunday Bloody Sunday has a different meaning to me than the subject inside. While "Bullet the Blue Sky" is probably more in line with the material inside.

By the way I think this is excellent. FYM might get some new topics.

Peace

*if* we are going to change it, it's going to probably just be 'war.'

remembering that 'bullet the blue sky' has many, many implications that people could say are inappropriate too.

Re: Re: The title of this Forum

Elvis said:

Usually we name forums after something of significance to the topic in relation to U2.....

Sunday Bloody Sunday is something that stirs up A LOT of emotion, and is surrounded by violence, politics, and controversy....

Don't you think that fits?

Yes. Controversy, controversy and more controversy. Fits like a glove.

I know this is said and done but its bugging me and I just want to say I saw NOTHING at all wrong with the old title of the forum. I'm fine with the title being "War" as well but I didnt think it needed to be changed.

Personally I think it was just something else for gabriel to whine about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom