The reason why i'm thinking to leave the interference forum - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > ZOOTV > Inside Broadcast
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 02-16-2003, 06:34 PM   #16
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
Local Time: 08:19 AM
melon:

I almost forgot.. Security:
yes there is logic in this - they only use programs which worked without bugs or security holes for 1 year - so they had a special netscape version and the sourcecode and fixed that software for years unless they called it stable (netscape 4.61 build010615 for example).

Support is not an issue, if you pay for it you get the support as long as you want to (especcialy if you are talking about several tenthousand clients)

Klaus

Old 02-17-2003, 06:11 PM   #17
Creator of the Blue Crack

Local Time: 11:19 PM
Re: The reason why i'm thinking to leave the interference forum

Quote:
Originally posted by Klaus
Hello,

i really injoy discussion on your forum.
There are some things i really disslike:
1st - the forum just runns well with a few browsers (because it isn't w3c compatible? -> see http://validator.w3.org)

2nd - i start go get "spam" (or informations i didn't ask for) from "u2" - which sound's way to official - could you turn this one to interference" or "u2interference"?

3rd - and that's the main reason.
paying for getting the funcionality which was free before. It's not that i can't afford it, but i don't want to pay for it. I don't charge interference.com for my postings and i don't want to be charged or get angry about the limited functionality

so - any way to stop the inconveniences?

Klaus

1) w3c validator blows. I'm using what little (none) free time I have to support OLD browsers. Browsers are free, computers are relatively inexpensive, and if a company or admin hasnt updated... I'm sorry... that's not really my problem. I'm staying with the times.

2) Opt out of Admin mail in your UserCP. I used to use U2 News - I never had a complaint. I use U2 now because it's simple and to the point. If you feel mislead... I'd wonder if you get 'real'
email from 'U2'.

3) I'm not rehashing the reasons and debate for the Premium fee. Either pay it or don't, no one is being forced to, nor does not paying stop you from using the forum for posting and reading.

Was this thread really worth starting?

FB me. IG me. Tweet me.
Old 02-17-2003, 09:33 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:19 AM
OK, I don't understand alot of the past stuff and why it's important - now!!. I just sign up for premium service - what now??
Old 02-17-2003, 10:03 PM   #19
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Elvis will be updating shortly.
Old 02-17-2003, 11:54 PM   #20
War Child

Local Time: 03:19 AM
Re: Re: The reason why i'm thinking to leave the interference forum

Quote:
Originally posted by Elvis

2) Opt out of Admin mail in your UserCP. I used to use U2 News - I never had a complaint. I use U2 now because it's simple and to the point. If you feel mislead... I'd wonder if you get 'real'
email from 'U2'.

Was this thread really worth starting?
He's not talking about getting the email, he's talking about you addressing it as "From U2", which is quite clearly wrong. "Interference(.com)" would be more appropriate. Even U2.com don't address their email as "U2"

And I'm glad to see your mature, nuturing attitude hasn't changed. Keep on getting pissy with people who disagree with you - it's a pleasant reminder.
Old 02-18-2003, 02:35 AM   #21

Re: Re: Re: The reason why i'm thinking to leave the interference forum

Quote:
Originally posted by Tip Top Prince

He's not talking about getting the email, he's talking about you addressing it as "From U2", which is quite clearly wrong. "Interference(.com)" would be more appropriate. Even U2.com don't address their email as "U2"

And I'm glad to see your mature, nuturing attitude hasn't changed. Keep on getting pissy with people who disagree with you - it's a pleasant reminder.

I know someone who used to have his 'From:' as "Toilet Plunger".... but that's another misleading story....

First.. it doesnt say "From U2", he meant that the FROM line says "U2".

Second, as I said b4, this is the first complaint I've had. I will consider altering it for the next mailing however.

And Third...
I have every right to express my opinion, sarcasm, and humor as anyone else does. I also have the right to be offended, insulted, and argue. One difference, ultimately I, and the mods/admins of this forum draw the lines of which may be colored in.

Sounds like you're trying to turn this into something of a more personal nature, Rufus
FB me. IG me. Tweet me.
Old 02-20-2003, 05:52 PM   #22
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
Elvis:

1)w3c isn't about old browsers - interference makes incompatible html old netscape was a bad example.
It's just a comment - if you don't want to make it compatible it's your decision.

2) as i said i expected different mail from "u2" - so it was missleading, thanks for changing that in the future

3)Even churches (who expect believers) tell the people how much money they used for what.
I'm sure you interference guys and girls are all nice people. But don't expect me to send you money when i don't get exact feedback what you did with the money before. (do i finance premium tickets for the next hadrock cafe u2 special?, are webservers more expensive in the us than in europe, i have no idea)

Klaus
Old 02-20-2003, 06:52 PM   #23

Quote:
Elvis:

3)Even churches (who expect believers) tell the people how much money they used for what.
I'm sure you interference guys and girls are all nice people. But don't expect me to send you money when i don't get exact feedback what you did with the money before. (do i finance premium tickets for the next hadrock cafe u2 special?, are webservers more expensive in the us than in europe, i have no idea)

Klaus
Klaus,

All of this has been discussed previously... in several threads relating to Premium memberships and donations. I'm not about to rehash all of this specifically for you. Interference is neither a church, nor a company, nor a gov't - it's a hobby. The Premium membership cost is not a donation, nor is it an investment (as in stock) in Interference, it is however the very reasonable amount decided upon to help cover expenses. If you don't want to pay it, don't. You can still read and post on the forum for free. Using this site and it's features are a priviledge, not a right.

The few dollars per person that Interference subsidized for the Hard Rock Cafe gathering came out of my personal pocket. It was my gesture as a 'thank you' to those that have helped support the site. Now if you want to question how I can afford to do that... you may, but I won't answer. My personal finances are no one elses business.
FB me. IG me. Tweet me.
Old 02-20-2003, 11:27 PM   #24
She's the One

Sorry, Joel, but I gotta say something here.

Quote:
But don't expect me to send you money when i don't get exact feedback what you did with the money before.
Then

don't

pay.

It's really not as difficult as you want it to be.
Old 02-20-2003, 11:37 PM   #25
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Joel doesnt "expect" anyone to send money. You have a choice, either you want to or you dont. He could have shut the forum down altogether, but we had a poll, and people voted, and they voted for optional premium membership and non premium members would still be able to view and post for free. And another thing, he was going to only make a few forums available for non paying members but he received so much support from everyone that they are all available to read and post for free.
Old 02-21-2003, 02:00 AM   #26
Refugee

Local Time: 07:19 AM

Klaus, you can't leave! It may not be your "hobby", as Elvis said, but, isn't it an enjoyable extracurricular activity

one filled with the wide range of views that do make up "the world?" and, you being from the world, isn't this just your "cup of tea?"

nod "uh huh" Klaus! and, maybe, if you feel like answering anybody here, you could also fill me in about what all this techno-cratic discussion means

hey, don't feel sad and left out, you probably missed the party at the Hard Rock! I get the same "distance makes good brothers" (paraphrase of previous speech in California) vibe here, too!
Old 02-27-2003, 03:16 PM   #27
Refugee

martha:
That's
what
i
will
do

Siccy:
since the limitations of the free version of interference don't make sense from the technical point of view (traffic) i thought he would expect it. And .. i appreciate all your work you put in that forum.
But it's pretty normal that discussion groups, mailinglists and even information is free on the web.

DebbieSG:
Thanks! I'm affraid i didn't understand completely what you were trying to say but it seems nice

Klaus
Old 02-27-2003, 03:18 PM   #28
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 01:19 AM
Quote:
DebbieSG:
Thanks! I'm affraid i didn't understand completely what you were trying to say
you're not the first person.
Old 02-27-2003, 03:34 PM   #29
Sizzlin' Sicilian